PDA

View Full Version : What are the worst pieces you played???

spookybiking
29.11.2002, 00:26
i'll let you no when i have thought of one :? :cry:

Fishsta
29.11.2002, 00:53
Hmmmm... that's a good one.

I hate to be brutally honest....

So I'll just say that it's an arrangement of a very popular hymn, spoiled by some awful chording.

But that's just my opinion. Many people like it.

spookybiking
29.11.2002, 00:58
name of the hymn would be helpful alot of popular hymns out there 8)

Roger Thorne
29.11.2002, 01:12
Be careful here please Ladies and Gentlemen.

We don't want to offend anyone by telling them that their music is the
the worst piece in the world!

Fishsta
29.11.2002, 01:20
Exactly what I was thinking.... :(

But hey, this is all about opinion. :)

rutty
29.11.2002, 06:08
Christmas Swingalong! Only because I've played it about 10,628 times 8)

Tuba
30.11.2002, 16:00
Blue Rondo Alla Turk. Jeez.

And an arrangement of Edward Grieg's "Holberg Suite". That's one way to ruin perfectly good music.

But I have heard worse...some arrangements of popular music, for instance.

kimmy
30.11.2002, 18:05
I TOTALLY DISAGREE!! Blue Rondo Alla Turk is fantastic!! i love that piece.

My worst has to be ermmmmm: The british open test piece this year. Forgotten the name but i REALLY struggled listening to 20 bands playing that! :roll: It begins with an M lol. :!: :!: :!: :!:

Kimmy xXx

Heather
30.11.2002, 19:20
'Cavatina'.....especially when its been played 3,0000 times!

Heather
30.11.2002, 19:21
Hey, my avatar's worked too!
Merry Christmas everybody!!!!!!

Keppler
30.11.2002, 19:53
"Ground Force" - I hate that tune..

Bagpuss_007
30.11.2002, 20:38
I think that the Ground Force tune is really groovy.... 8)
But I must admit, they play it all the way through the programme it does get a little bit annoying after a while :!:
:roll:

Love Bexc.x

dave jake
30.11.2002, 21:04
FLORAL DANCE FLURAL DANCE FLORAL DANCE :wink:

rutty
01.12.2002, 15:36
I TOTALLY DISAGREE!! Blue Rondo Alla Turk is fantastic!! i love that piece.

My worst has to be ermmmmm: The british open test piece this year. Forgotten the name but i REALLY struggled listening to 20 bands playing that! :roll: It begins with an M lol. :!: :!: :!: :!:

Kimmy xXx

I agree with you Kimmy - haven't played it for years, but I reckon it's brilliant too! 8)

spookybiking
01.12.2002, 15:58
Good piece i hate the horn part cos it looks easy to play and it's not :(

SORRY MY ERROR

Fishsta
01.12.2002, 15:59
Are you on about a piece called "The Horn", or the instrument itself?

edit: I noticed the subject now... :roll: Sorry....

Tubby the Tuba
01.12.2002, 17:44
I think, after the regionals next year Prague (Championship Section) will be right up there at the top of everyones list.

We played through it once just after we received the music, the vast majority of parts could be sight read and played first time.

What a stinker, I am not looking forward to weeks rehearsing this piece, this is not one to encourage full rehearsals, fun it aint.

RE: Earlier post, Blue rondo a la Turk is a classic, we played it at our last concert and it went down a bomb with the audience, I heard Grimethorpe
play it at Blackpool last month and its even better to listen to than it is to play.

UncleNorbert
05.12.2002, 18:50
some of the worst pieces i've played are definately....
masquerade ... wilby
(sh)atlantic ... wilby
jazz ... wilby
Salamander ... McCabe
maunsell farts ... McCabe
Cloudcatcher Fells ... McCabe
Images ... McCabe

rutty
05.12.2002, 19:40
some of the worst pieces i've played are definately....
masquerade ... wilby
(sh)atlantic ... wilby
jazz ... wilby
Salamander ... McCabe
maunsell farts ... McCabe
Cloudcatcher Fells ... McCabe
Images ... McCabe

You know, there's a theme in those pieces, if only I could see what it was....

Anonymous
06.12.2002, 10:51
worst peice!!........ got to be a dodgy arrangement of birdy song and any dream will do!, both manuscript arrangements with no names so I'm not insulting anyone! they were really bad! I got rid soon as I could. :lol:

Anonymous
06.12.2002, 11:35
Trish Trash Polka
Eidleweiss (Sound of Music)
Totally different - but totally the same - i.e. CR*P.

Anonymous
06.12.2002, 12:40
dont diss tritsch tratsch polka!!!!!
its a quality piece!!
along with.. instant concert
hootenany (ok i cant spell but its still good)
A christmas festival..
F+G march
Pro Tempore (a little known gem)
Padstow Lifeboat
March of the Cobblers
Entry of the Gladiators
Florentiner March
Black and White Minstrels
Kingdom Triumphant
Santa Claustrohobia
Jurassic frikkin park
soul bossa nova
lightwalk
Cry of the Celts
Troika
Gaudette
Indiana Jones
Nutcracker Suite
Christmas Fantasy
White Christmas
The Snowman
Saint-Saens Organ Symphony no.3 (and 1 + 2)
Lets face the music and dance
Stage Centre
God save the queen
Tea for 2
Sleigh Ride
Pomp and Circumstance no.s 1+2
Cartoon Music
Do Lord
Jerusalem
Fantasia on British Sea Songs
Buglers holiday
Fiddle Faddle
Candide Overture
Spring
Winter
Carrickfergus
Trumpeters Lullaby
My Ain Folk...

I'll think of some more later..

rutty
06.12.2002, 13:28
I usually put Hootenany and Instant Concert on the "hate" pile - I enjoy playing them (sometimes) but they've been done to death. Pure Cheese. Audiences love 'em! 8)

Roger Thorne
06.12.2002, 14:56
Hootenanny!

Believe this or believe it not.

Our Band President who is now in her 80's, and has been associated with the band all her life, has written into her Will that the band play Hootenanny at her Funeral!

She absolutely insists that we do it!

rutty
06.12.2002, 18:09
Hootenanny!

Our Band President who is now in her 80's, and has been associated with the band all her life, has written into her Will that the band play Hootenanny at her Funeral!

:shock:

dissolved
10.12.2002, 10:43
There are some really bad arrangements of Laschi chio' Pianga out there.
REALLY_BAD...

Curious
10.12.2002, 10:57
Hootenanny!

:shock:

Now there's a thought. What do other people want played at their funeral? My father has opted for 'Blaze Away'!!!!

sparkling_quavers
10.12.2002, 12:36
well it will have to be pie jesu! and then something really jolly like mack and mabel :shock:

Anonymous
11.12.2002, 22:57
David of the White Rock is the one I don't like playing. Some love it, some hate it.

Singapore Northern Lass
14.12.2002, 15:27
I always hated Colours of the Wind, Silent Night AAAAAARGGH!!!! Theme from the Onedin Line (name escapes me at present!) which was always nearly at the end of a concert, All in the April Evening etc etc etc. :x

The conductor of our band had a tape of 'Till' played by our band at his funeral, I was a wreck as soon as it started! :cry:

TheMusicMan
14.12.2002, 15:56
... one of the worst peices I played many years ago was a piece called... 'Contrasten'. It was written by a Dutch composer (forget the name, Jan someone!) to comemorate the Chernobyl Nuclear disaster.... :!: and was used for the 4th section national finals - huh, typical eh!

Dull, dreary, morbid, slow, dark, dank... all these expressions came to mind when playing it.

Having said that, I suppose it got close to the reason the piece was written eh!!! :D

Fishsta
14.12.2002, 17:26
Wandering OT a little here...

Chernobyl... I remember this, and I remember that they sent some of the children from the area who were suffering quite badly on a holiday to sunny...

...Wigan. Indeed.

And the Standish band did a few concerts for them. They also joined in the concert, the MD always did have a great rapport with kids, and he got two little girls up in front of the band, and let them conduct Hootenanny...

They also got a chance to perform themselves... they sang a couple of (Russian) songs... there was only one member of the band who knew some Russian, he translated a little of it, and one of the songs was about them chasing Chickens, and eventually catching one, but it was the oldest and slowest of the chickens... I suppose really you had to be there.

It was a good concert though, and definitely a "good" banding moment.

See, I've brought this back on topic again... I mentioned Hootenanny!!! :D

(Note: I actually quite like Hootenanny...)

Richard_oldman17
20.12.2002, 11:15
Indiana Jones & Batman
There both boring. :x :x

rutty
20.12.2002, 12:37
Indiana Jones & Batman
There both boring. :x :x
Batman boring???? Never! :shock:

asteria
20.12.2002, 13:10
Hiya,

To person who made the long list of pieces earlier, just wondering if i know you? There's at least 9 of those pieces that i played when depping for a certain north-west band last week, i'm i correct in guessing you play for this band or do other bands have to go through the same programme at christmas?!

Must say though the Saint-Saens organ symphony can't be beaten for cheesiness when the organ part is on a keyboard, not even by a dodgy singer doing a Frank Sinatra tribute!

More to add to the list -
Born Free (not cos i don't like the piece, i've just never heard that top C at the beginning not split and in tune!!)
O Holy Night (apologies to all euphonium players out there)
Miller Magic
Big Big World (youth band arrangement of pop song, that company produces the cheesiest stuff i've ever heard!)
I Dreamt I Dwelt in Marble Halls :?

Helen

spookybiking
20.12.2002, 16:30
That cant be a worst piece good concert item with the smoke, and the batman light

Richard_oldman17
23.12.2002, 22:33
Few more that are rubbish,

Abide with me.......................... (in fact all hyms)
Geibel
Iolanthe
Merry wives ov winsor
Claire de lune
Mephistopheles
& finally DOYEN :twisted:

Keppler
23.12.2002, 22:38
I like Doyen..

sparkling_quavers
23.12.2002, 23:50
I like Doyen..

yeah me too!!

Fishsta
24.12.2002, 00:17
Wasn't that and "Golden Lady" written for a bus or something?

Keppler
24.12.2002, 00:42
yes, I do think it was written for a bus..

Busses have feelings too..

they must have, because they steal all the feeling from my backside every week..

Hilary Mateer
25.12.2002, 23:42
African dance.
The bass part repeats endlessly and I go into a trance after a while and completely forget where I am
The trouble is that the cornet players seem to enjoy it and request it over and over again.
This piece was mainly responsible for me leaving my training band 3 years ago,
I went back to help out recently and they were still playing it

jimortality
24.01.2003, 22:10
Shock Horror!!!!!!!! I don't think Prague is as bad as people are making out. Ok, It's not the most audience friendly piece in the world but it shouldn't be under estimated.

bigcol
25.01.2003, 20:17
The Best of Abba arr. Bernarts.

The trombone parts double the horn parts, so the Bass Trom player plays with the 2nd horn throughout and has a range of a 5th to play, apart from the last few bars.

Such a **** arrangement.

yorkie19
29.01.2003, 11:26
I played an arrangement of The John Dunbar Theme from Dances with Wolves a couple of years ago. As much as some people liked it, I have to say it was the worst piece I have played in a long time.

I'll also have to defend pieces like Prague, The Maunsell Forts and Atlantic. I think they are challenging pieces for a band to play. They aren't written in a style that we would normally play, and while they aren't especially audience-friendly, they do force the bands that play them to approach the performance from a different perspective. I would rate The Maunsell Forts as one of my all-time time favourite test pieces.

Sam

Owen
02.02.2003, 09:08
My all time worst piece from the early part of my banding has to be "The Best of the Seekers" which seemed to feature in my banding life from first joining the senior Hadstock Village Silver Band at age 10 through to leaving to go to University aged 18. It was three very long and weary pages of off-beats and accompaniment rhythms. VV Dull!

Since then, there is a particular arrangement of Beautiful Galathea which we played when I was at Yorkshire Evening Post. I hated it so much, I used to make my excuses and go to the toilet when we were rehearsing it! Everyone else seemed to like it though!

Most recent dislike is the "Angels" arrangement. Mmmm lovely moving quavers all the way through.

I always loked Hootenany though - I realised very early on that the baritone parts were way better than the boring euphonium parts. There is, as I recall, nowhere to breathe on the second page, but who needs oxygn with music of that quality?

Owen
1st Baritone
Yorkshire Co-operatives Brass Band

kate_the_horn
23.11.2003, 13:03
the worst piece ever????? hmmmm
think, yeh we played this on sataday night!

Cock up you beaver. grr stupid title and even more stupid horn part!

kelly

faerie
23.11.2003, 19:01
I always loked Hootenany though - I realised very early on that the baritone parts were way better than the boring euphonium parts. There is, as I recall, nowhere to breathe on the second page, but who needs oxygn with music of that quality?

Hehe. I learnt that too after depping on bari one summer. Since then i played the bari part with them... I quite like this piece, probably more because it was a laugh to play because we did a standupsitdown thing.

I really dont like playing "One Voice" And yet it seemed a favourite. In summer we went tp Germany and i think i had to play it 5 times in 3 concerts or something rediculous like that. The best bit is thinking up ways me and my 2nd could accidentally "lose" it. Or set it on fire.

andyp
24.11.2003, 13:05
The Best of Abba arr. Bernarts.

The trombone parts double the horn parts, so the Bass Trom player plays with the 2nd horn throughout and has a range of a 5th to play, apart from the last few bars.

Such a *beep* arrangement.

I agree, and would add all pop music that any arranger feels he has to "dumb down" rhythm-wise to such an extent that it's virtually unrecognisable (presumably to make it easier to play and hence sell more copies). This applies to nearly every Queen arrangement ever made (with the honorable exception of "Bohemian Rhapsody"). As a Queen fan, I would say either do it right, or leave well alone!
My least favorite is the Fl*r*l D*nc*, it should be burnt. In the modern world, top brass bands are the equal of top orchestras, but most people's perception of a brass band is limited to the ^%"$^$ Fl*r*l D*nc*! I hate it!

lynchie
24.11.2003, 13:12
you'd have enjoyed the event then! :D

blue euph
24.11.2003, 22:09
I played a bad arrangement of Shostakovich Symphony #5, the last movement. I can't remember which key it was in but it hurt the ears and it wasn't just b/c my brass band couldn't play the parts in tune or cleanly. The last 30 some measures, the euph. part is playing A above the treble clef forever and ever and it the same passage was doubled in the cornets which made it worse for trying to keep the part in tune. I also played an arrangment of Bachannale by Saint Saens. In this arragnement, there were a few noodling passages which I know quite a few people could never the part cleanly in its entirely and as written :x . I ended up simplifying it , rewrite those spots and split it into 2 euph. parts which made it a bit more managable for both my section leader and myself.

blue euph
24.11.2003, 22:23
Blue Rondo Alla Turk.

I disagee. Blue Rondo All Turk is a fun piece. I had quite the experience with it one rehersal. I had to sightread the part and was very ill at the time while it everybody else in the band had a go at it the previous rehersal and practiced it ahead of time. I did a pretty job and had a got lot of compliments :D .

Any thoughts of Holst Suite in F being arranged in Eb for Brass Band. It still works but my ears go insane wanting to hear and very tempted to play the part in concert F, not Eb :twisted

Steve
25.11.2003, 09:15
ANGELS by that Williams idiot. Nuff said me'thinks.

Funeral song has to be death of a clown by the kinks.

Lloyd
27.11.2003, 20:46
I'm only on my grade one on cornet, but the worst piece of music i have ever played is "We Wish You a Merry Chrismas" Lol :lol: :lol:

kate_the_horn
29.11.2003, 19:00
I like Doyen..
no im sorry, doyen is the best piece ever! brill horn parts (all of em for a change)

kel k

HBB
29.11.2003, 19:50
I like Doyen..
no im sorry, doyen is the best piece ever! brill horn parts (all of em for a change)

kel k
Here here! :D