PDA

View Full Version : french open

satchmo shaz
26.05.2003, 10:34
does anyone know anything about the french open in June? I have been asked to help out Thoresby. Has anyone been before and is anyone else going?

cheers shaz

Brian
26.05.2003, 17:55
get in touch with David Horsfield ..he's adjudicated there several times..Kirklees Music..Brighouse..

Roger Thorne
26.05.2003, 19:08
Quite a few British Bands have taken part in the French Open Championships, one or two that spring to mind are:

Flowers Band
Swindon Pegasus Brass
Rogerstone Band
Youth Brass 2000

It may be worth contacting members of these bands for further information.

:wink:

satchmo shaz
26.05.2003, 19:09
get in touch with David Horsfield ..he's adjudicated there several times..Kirklees Music..Brighouse.. cheers Brian........ just off to a rehersal with "sherwood Brass" big geoff's scratch band....... we are off to cyprus on wenesday! :wink:

horn1
26.05.2003, 20:27
Hi,

I went to the French Open with Boarshurst last year. I'd definately recommend it, if you were to put all the best bits of contesting together and then put it in a nice sunny place with good beer you'd have got the picture!!! :P :guiness
The other good thing is that although the competition is good it's not as tough as at home! Last year we came back with first in our section, best soloist overall and third (I think!) in the march contest!
The only downside is that it's the same weekend as whit friday this year which is why we aren't going again. :(

Nicola

picju96
26.05.2003, 21:22
We nearly went a couple of years ago coz its closer and cheaper, but it's in exam time, and most of the band have exams and stuff to do.

tam-tam
27.05.2003, 00:28
My band Rogerstone went last year and I can certainly recommend it as a brilliant weekend. As well as doing a march contest (only British bands) and the contest proper you also do a short concert somewhere in Amboise. I cam remember sitting in a roadside bar sipping a cold lager with Flowers in full flow about 50 yards away.......and it was really hot too. Amboise is a great place with stunning buildings as well as the Loire. I can also remember the whole of my band in a bar listening to Boarshurst and having a little banter......decent trombone if I remember rightly, did he play stardust (I'm really bad with names). It really was a great weekend where you got to have a contest, meet new people, have decent food and beer and get a sun tan. I can definately reommend it!!

I know Tongwynlais Temperance Band are going again this year so perhaps. Hope this helps!!

JessopSmythe
27.05.2003, 00:44
Totally off topic I know, but isnt "Temperance Band" an oxymoron?

tam-tam
27.05.2003, 00:52
That is a bit intellectual for this time of night!! Although, having said that, I would say that you are quite correct!! I wonder how many bands still have Temperance in their title?

satchmo shaz
27.05.2003, 08:25
thanks guys !............ loking forward to it now!! :wink:

horn1
27.05.2003, 12:27
I can also remember the whole of my band in a bar listening to Boarshurst and having a little banter......decent trombone if I remember rightly, did he play stardust (I'm really bad with names).

Yep, he played Stardust, very good it was too!

Curious
27.05.2003, 14:56
I can also remember the whole of my band in a bar listening to Boarshurst and having a little banter......decent trombone if I remember rightly, did he play stardust (I'm really bad with names).

Yep, he played Stardust, very good it was too!

Agree it was top class stuff! Highlight for us (Rogy) was singing along with you guys playing Hootenany and Instant Concert (Or was that an alcohol induced nightmare!!??) :lol:

By the way Ton are certainly not temperance by nature!!

BoozyBTrom
27.05.2003, 15:58
Lockwood Brass from the North East are going.

satchmo shaz
27.05.2003, 18:25
Lockwood Brass from the North East are going. might see you there then! :wink:

BoozyBTrom
28.05.2003, 18:49
Lockwood Brass from the North East are going. might see you there then! :wink:

Would love to go and support them but got no passport at the moment. So world tour for me is off at the moment

horn1
29.05.2003, 01:45
Highlight for us (Rogy) was singing along with you guys playing Hootenany and Instant Concert (Or was that an alcohol induced nightmare!!??) :lol:

I wish it had been an alcohol induced nightmare!! But sadly no! :( Luckily they no longer form part of our concert repetoire!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ali
12.06.2003, 13:28
I played at the second French Open a few yeas ago with the Norwest CO-OP Rochdale band. We came won the march contest, won the overall testpiece and concert contest and yet came second overall and Stuart Lingard won best soloist with a stunning performance of "Kim". Its a wonderful contest. Great hall to play in and the most striking thing is the enthusiasm of the audiance. I would love to go again! My band thought about it but as it falls on the Whit Friday weekend, we will be defending our Best Local and Best Saddleworth titles instead. AND I DONT KNOW ABOUT NOW BUT WHEN I PLAYED AT THE CONTEST IT WAS FREE WINE ALL WEEKEND! HOW GOOD IS THAT?

satchmo shaz
12.06.2003, 13:32
can't wait! we are off tomorrow and we are staying at a wine college!! :wink:

tam-tam
13.06.2003, 00:33
Oh, the wine college!! Miles out of town and wasn't that good either, I'd recommend going to one of the numerous restaurants/bistros in the town. Watch out for drunken football at one am the morning of the contest......oh no, that was us last year!

HAVE A GREAT TIME!!

jfenwick
13.06.2003, 18:36
whats an oxymoron?

Keppler
13.06.2003, 18:56
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=oxymoron

e.g.
"Unacceptable Solution"
"Government Organization"
"Microsoft Works"
"Self Dependant"
etc etc

PeterBale
13.06.2003, 19:00
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=oxymoron

e.g.
"Unacceptable Solution"
"Government Organization"
"Microsoft Works"
"Self Dependant"
etc etc

...and I thought it was someone who is as thick as an ox :lol: :lol: :lol:

big_benthomson
16.06.2003, 10:57
the Swiss open is good too. Did it with Besses a few years back. Got faced

Curious
16.06.2003, 11:45
can't wait! we are off tomorrow and we are staying at a wine college!! :wink:

So what did you think then?

Bit off it decided to p.. down when you did the march!!!

Were you in Le Shakers on Sat? We stood around for half an hour and couldn't get a drink so tramped back to our hotel

Well done on the result.

satchmo shaz
16.06.2003, 18:18
well we really enjoyed ourselves, yes pity about the rain, mindyou it cooled us down a bit :lol: we eventually got served and stopped in the pub till about half 3 I think!, bit of a trek back to the wine college tho, phew! nice to win though even if I was guesting.
I have never been so hot in my life but really enjoyed the gala concert and the contest despite the heat :wink:

well done stan and thoresby and also well done to all of the other prizewinners!

euphemism
17.06.2003, 18:50
Yes - well done to Thoresby - plus a few friends of course !!

Glad you got the result

Carl