PDA

View Full Version : David Daws returns to ISB as principal cornet ?

Pondasher
22.05.2003, 19:09
I have been told today from a usually extremely reliable source, that David Daws is to return to The International Staff Band, in his previous position as principal cornet.

Assuming this to be correct, then I am sure that there will be many brass players excited at this news. David's talent is known worldwide and it will be a joy to hear his solos again.

An announcement is expected shortly.

carlwoodman
22.05.2003, 21:41
I have been told today from a usually extremely reliable source, that David Daws is to return to The International Staff Band, in his previous position as principal cornet.

Would be interested to know who your 'usually extremely reliable source' is!

amgray
23.05.2003, 01:15
Pondasher - are you a REAL Pondasher??
Are you willing to sit a Pondasher Knowledge test? :lol:

PeterBale
23.05.2003, 08:11
I'm sure everyone would be glad to see David back. 4barsrest announced a couple of days ago that Robert Gill is stepping down after the Albert Hall festival in June, due to health problems, so we shall have to wait and see.

http://www.4barsrest.com/news/detail.asp?id=1028

Pondasher
23.05.2003, 14:56
Carl

I have again been in touch with my source who is certain that David is returning.

He does not want his identity revealed on an Internet site, but I can tell you that he is a colleague of yours, and that you meet regularly.

Do you think David is coming back, or not Carl?

Pondasher
23.05.2003, 15:10
Andy

Yes, I do think of myself as a real Pondasher, after having lived in Queensbury for several years and attended rehearsals and many of the engagements since the 1960's.

I was also privileged to go with Black Dyke to Carnegie Hall, and I believe that I have every Black Dyke commercial recording made in LP, EP, 7", Cassette, and most in the 78rpm format. I also have most of the CD's.

I think your idea of a Pondasher knowledge test is a great idea, and I feel sure that many people would be interested in participating. It could be linked in to the new tMPmonthly competition, and suggest you contact TheMusicMan for consideration.

Perhaps it could also be extended to include other top bands like Fairey, Grimethorpe, Y.B.S. etc...etc.

Mr Smiler
30.05.2003, 09:22
This is a bit of a rumour mill. I really do think that this is just speculation at the moment.

I also have a source close to Dave who seems to think that he will not be returning to the ISB, although I can neither confirm or deny it. The general thinking is that Kevin Ashman, who has been the band's sop player for some years will be taking the end seat, at least for the time being.

PeterBale
30.05.2003, 09:59
This is a bit of a rumour mill. I really do think that this is just speculation at the moment.

I also have a source close to Dave who seems to think that he will not be returning to the ISB, although I can neither confirm or deny it. The general thinking is that Kevin Ashman, who has been the band's sop player for some years will be taking the end seat, at least for the time being.

If that is the case, they certainly have an excellent replacement on sop in Paul Sharman from Regent Hall, who has recently done such sterling work on the instrument with The Household Troops Band.

Pondasher
30.05.2003, 13:52
My source still insists that it is David Daws.

Only time will tell!

Mr Smiler
30.05.2003, 21:45
Tut, tut Pondasher. You really want to stir the pot on this one don't you? Perhaps the only people we should really take notice of are members of the ISB themselves, otherwise it's just speculation.

I should also point out that the story about Kevin taking the top seat came from 4barsrest.)

carlwoodman
12.06.2003, 18:31
My source still insists that it is David Daws.

Only time will tell!

Oh dear, Pondasher!
Time to sack your source, after he's been named and shamed!

Below is a posting that appears on 4BarsRest today;

12-Jun-2003
New Top Man at ISB

As we reported a little while ago, there is a new Principal Cornet at the International Staff Band.

Following the news we reported exclusively some time ago, the International Staff Band of the Salvation Army have announced that Kevin Ashman has taken over as the new Principal Cornet of the band following the depature of Rob Gill.

Pondasher
13.06.2003, 07:12
Oh dear, Carl!

You have suggested that I sack my source, and that I name and shame him. Do you really want me to?

I am not a member of the Salvation Army and therefore I have no compunction whatsoever, over what your hierarchy would think about naming and shaming my source. The only consideration I will give to your request is to any legal ramifications, and of course I will ensure that I take appropriate legal advice, which incidentally is available to me without any cost to myself.

Setting any legal aspects aside Carl, and I repeat, do you really want me to? To do so would certainly cause acute embarrassment to the senior person concerned, the Salvation Army in general, and possibly to you in attempting to 'goad' me on, in bringing his name in to the public domain.

I suggest that you discuss your request firstly with Steve Cobb your bandmaster, to get his clearance, and with any other person you believe you should consult, before you post your reply.

If you read again my initial posting on this subject you will see that I clearly showed that it was subject to confirmation, and the subject heading ended with a question mark (?)

Brass band sites are geared to thrive on speculation and rumour, as was the player moves of Matt Baker, Roger Webster etc. Even the very subheading of this section is "Bandroom gossip, interesting player moves" etc.

My only motivation was one of pleasure that David Daws, who is probably the undesputed finest cornet player in the Salvation Army, could again be heard by wider audiences, rather than only in his corps band and the occasional solo appearance with one of our top bands.

After thinking the situation through Carl, please reconfirm your request that you want me to name and shame my source on this site, so then I can take the situation further.

Cantonian
13.06.2003, 10:05
Isn't this a bit heavy, Pondasher!

Obviously Carl's position from within the ISB was that he knew that David was not coming back but was interested in the source of the rumour. I'm sure that the 'name and shame' comment was tongue-in -cheek.

It would have been good to see David back in the ISB but having played in bands with both David and Kevin Ashman as principals I have no doubt that Kevin will be a very good Principal.

carlwoodman
13.06.2003, 10:11
I'm sure that the 'name and shame' comment was tongue-in -cheek.

Thanks, Cantonian.
That was the idea, anyway hence the '!'

Maestro
13.06.2003, 10:59
What was the point in that rant pondasher?

You had wrong information, we all get that from time to time. Is just one of those things.

I've read this thread a few times now, and for the life of me, I can't see where there is any goading.

Aidan
13.06.2003, 13:03
haha pondasher.. that post was so OTT it's now in regular orbit around the earth!!! chill winston :!:

PeterBale
13.06.2003, 13:13
The world of Salvation Army banding, just as that of banding in general, is always going to be a hotbed of gossip. No real harm in that, but equally no need for it to get blown out of proportion. I could start a thread speculating over how long it will be before the two Cobb lads are sitting in the end two chairs - assuming they are not enticed away elsewhere - but I think I'd better not :!: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mr Smiler
13.06.2003, 13:39
haha pondasher.. that post was so OTT it's now in regular orbit around the earth!!! chill winston :!:

Totally agree, does it really matter in the great scheme of things?

deanjones
13.06.2003, 14:23
I heard it was going to be up and coming bandsman Alistair Green of Staines Salvation Army band. Have you heard him, he's very good. Mind you, I heard on the grapevine Tuesday afternoon that is was to be Kevin Ashman and was delighted to see William Hills offering generous odds of 13/8 on his internal switch.

More to the point now Mouthpiece men, who are we to see in the vacant 5th Solo Cornet seat. Alistair could be a good bet, but the smart money would be on one of Dean Jones or Ira Thomas. :roll:

Who's to say that the old stager himself, Bandmaster Cobb can't roll back the years and grace the front bench once more.

As for Sharman, his versitility will prove to be a significant asset to the International Staff Band, of whom such high praise is well deserved.

IMoM

PeterBale
13.06.2003, 14:33
More to the point now Mouthpiece men, who are we to see in the vacant 5th Solo Cornet seat. Alistair could be a good bet, but the smart money would be on one of Dean Jones or Ira Thomas. :roll: IMoM

It seems that Stephen is gradually reducing the band to contesting numbers - am I alone in missing the additional horns, trombones and bass?

Wouldn't be much point in having Ira unless she had a piano and a microphone on hand for her solo spot - mind she was a fine flugel player at Cambridge Heath when I was there.

If Stephen did decide he wanted another trombone, I hear there's a fine up-and-coming lass called Maisie over there at Staines :!:

newoleahcim
13.06.2003, 15:04
Dean Jones plays the Euphonium! Who was that berk who wrote that stuff!

stickytrigger
13.06.2003, 16:22
It seems that Stephen is gradually reducing the band to contesting numbers

i thought the imminent entry of army bands into contesting was fairly common knowledge. oh and dean jones feels he is wasted on euph and will soon move to bass trombone apparently...

carlwoodman
13.06.2003, 16:36
It seems that Stephen is gradually reducing the band to contesting numbers

Partly true, I guess.
The band have been quite large in the past (5 trombones, 6 horns, 5 basses and even 6 solo cornets on the 1980 tour) but started to reduce in size while Robert Rehead was the Bandmaster.
When I joined in 1993, the basses had already been cut from 5 to 4.
(I was '3rd' Eb in a National Music School band years ago and hated it!)
We have had 3 trombones for several months now although Iain Parkhouse has recently joined the band to bring us back up to 3 baritones.

jfenwick
13.06.2003, 17:32
does Pondasher play for dyke? or am I totally not understanding this?

Aidan
14.06.2003, 11:27
dyke..? :O where did u get that?

jfenwick
14.06.2003, 18:21
I'm not quite sure?

BobRalston
07.07.2003, 12:32
My sources tell me that the principle cornet of Ramsgate band, Ian Standley is likely to be a new feature on the front bench of the ISB. His ability to play all day together with his excellent technique will be a real asset. I would expect that he will not sit at number 5 though.

Mike Saville
07.07.2003, 12:55
Anyone know if Paul Sharman is playing cornet with the ISB?

PeterBale
07.07.2003, 13:25
Anyone know if Paul Sharman is playing cornet with the ISB?

He's just taken over the soprano chair, with Kevin Ashman moving to Principal.

Mike Saville
07.07.2003, 16:19
Nice to hear Paul is doing well - I was at the RCM at the same time as him. He was a fantastic trumpet player and even better on the cornet. He's a shy chap so didn't get as much pro work as his playing definately deserved.