PDA

View Full Version : Which section is best?

rutty
28.11.2002, 10:54
OK, I vote back row cornets!

sparkling_quavers
28.11.2002, 11:13
Yep! your best player should be on principal, 2nd best on rep, 3rd best on 2nd man down and then 4th best on top 3rd cornet! Well that is what I think anyway!!

Without the backrow you would have unbalanced chords and no rhythm n drive...or is that with the backrow? :roll: :D

Fishsta
28.11.2002, 13:55
Sorry, I had to vote Trombones.... :D

I might be a Euph player now, but the Trombone is without doubt my favourite instrument.

All hail the mighty Bone!

rutty
28.11.2002, 14:31
No front row cornets yet? Probably can't figure out how these PC keys work! :wink: :shock:

amgray
29.11.2002, 13:32
Re the Poll - you CAN beat a Musical Director, and you should once a week whether you think they need it or not.

As for the best section, OBVIOUSLY it is the Trombone's 'cos we can do it in 7 infinitely variable positions. :? :x :shock: :lol:

Keppler
29.11.2002, 13:38
infinitely variable is right.. now if ye could only do it the same way twice in a row....

Fishsta
29.11.2002, 13:39
No one's voted for the shed-builders yet, either.... :D

spookybiking
30.11.2002, 03:26
Horns are the best no to ways about it

Roger Thorne
01.12.2002, 01:57
Lets be honest about this one, without the MUSICAL DIRECTOR in front of the band sorting you all out, none of the sections rule!

:wink:

Keppler
01.12.2002, 02:05
Lets be honest about this one, without the MUSICAL DIRECTOR in front of the band sorting you all out, none of the sections rule!

yes we do... just all with different interpretations...

rutty
01.12.2002, 16:39

As long as you think you're in charge then that's OK :wink:

spookybiking
01.12.2002, 16:47
well the musical director aint the best on its own because he's no good with out the band

Fishsta
01.12.2002, 16:53
But you could say that about ALL the sections. None of them are a band on their own.

dave jake
01.12.2002, 19:42
COME ON U BASSES :lol:

SoundTheCornet
02.12.2002, 00:41
There is no doubt about it...

Every player in every section is important as the next in any band. There is no way anyone can say that one section is the most important when the other is supporting them.

In any good band, every player plays in the team, not as the "most important" player, or section.

Though, if we are refering to looks and sound produced by an individual instrument. The winner is most definately the Cornet.

amgray
02.12.2002, 13:22
infinitely variable is right.. now if ye could only do it the same way twice in a row....

Some of us could!!!!!! 8)

LU-Brasser
02.12.2002, 13:40
I vote for Sop... :D

rutty
02.12.2002, 15:27

I wondered when we'd see a sop fan! 8)

LU-Brasser
02.12.2002, 15:38

Yes? Why? Sop is the salt of each Brass Band...

Fishsta
02.12.2002, 15:42

Yes? Why? Sop is the salt of each Brass Band...

Is that because when we drop him, we throw him over our left shoulder?

Keppler
02.12.2002, 16:04
or because our lips pucker up when when we get too much of him?

(One-time Sop Player)

Jezzabell
02.12.2002, 18:14
There is no competition, the cornet section is the best, without it a band would sound dull and boring!!! :)

Miss Fiery
03.12.2002, 23:27
:lol: Hey, they might not be the best sounding section of the band but they are definatly the best looking thats for sure :!:

The horn (& FLUGEL) section rule. 8)

Di B
04.12.2002, 11:55
Well I voted for euphs as I am slightly biased! *grins*

However, my thoughts are that the bass section is the most important in the band.... without something to hold all the melody and chord work together there would have nothing.... and if you have a good strong capable bass section (including bass trom) then you would probably consider them to be the linchpin of the band.

Gosh! Can't beleive I am writing serious stuff! Gotta start posting silly messages soon! :wink:

frisp
04.12.2002, 22:24
Thanks to Di B for the most perceptive and valid comments on this thread. I am a Sop player and agree with her/him about Bass sections wholeheartedly. Incidentally my sop is a custom made huge one in the key of BBb with a bell that points towards God :wink:

Di B
05.12.2002, 10:27
Thanks to Di B for the most perceptive and valid comments on this thread. I am a Sop player and agree with her/him about Bass sections wholeheartedly.

Ummm.... I can clarify I am a girlie..... just to clear up any possible confusion! :lol:

hornblower
05.12.2002, 17:51
yey the horns are winning!!!!!!

dave jake
05.12.2002, 17:57
Miss Hornblower do nt get cocky or you WILL be sat on

Anonymous
05.12.2002, 19:22
the bass section of course, so Miss hornblower you will be sat on by 2 bassess tomorrow.

ps ( really all sections are the best!!!)

timmy the tuba

frisp
05.12.2002, 19:33
Ummm.... I can clarify I am a girlie..... just to clear up any possible confusion!

Sorry Di about the her/him business-I'd had a couple and thought it might be sensible to try and not upset a mis-spelling Welshman. Flawed thinking through drink-apologies!

hornblower
10.12.2002, 12:03
be careful about what you vote... I did get sat on on friday night by two basses!!! cheers guys!!!! :wink:

rutty
10.12.2002, 12:19
be careful about what you vote... I did get sat on on friday night by two basses!!! cheers guys!!!! :wink:

And you survived???? Must have been a glancing blow.... :wink:

Fishsta
10.12.2002, 12:37
Seems horns are the most popular so far.

Persecution's popular, isn't it....

Wonky_Baton
12.12.2002, 18:32
Everybody is wrong. It depends who is getting their round in at the bar :wink:

rutty
13.12.2002, 07:53
Everybody is wrong. It depends who is getting their round in at the bar :wink:Pint of bitter please :wink:

dave jake
14.12.2002, 11:12
WARNING never get in a round with Wonky you will end up WONKIER :twisted:

hornblower
14.12.2002, 12:05
aye right, and that coming from a bloke who of course never gets wonky - remember I have the photographic evidence!!!!

Tubby the Tuba
15.12.2002, 15:50
It's great being a Bass player, you can crack jokes all night, you sit so far back you never get caught. You can play wrong notes and blame it on someone else. Only down side is you sit too near the percussion.

Anonymous
15.12.2002, 22:16
SOPS WITHOUT A DOUBT! :lol:

Anonymous
17.12.2002, 14:46
Definatley Sop (not that I'm biased :lol: )

Nearest Seat to the bar, furthest from the bass trombone!
(and you get to do traffic light impressions on the contest stage : Green - getting ready to play, Amber : a mellow mf, Red : take cover guys the sops gonna blow!)
:lol:

WhatSharp?
19.12.2002, 14:43
Definatley Sop (not that I'm biased :lol: )

Nearest Seat to the bar, furthest from the bass trombone!
(and you get to do traffic light impressions on the contest stage : Green - getting ready to play, Amber : a mellow mf, Red : take cover guys the sops gonna blow!)
:lol:

And I really ought to remember to log in before posting!

(is this a bug in the forum or is it intentional?)

rutty
19.12.2002, 14:52
And I really ought to remember to log in before posting!

(is this a bug in the forum or is it intentional?)It was intentional, but it's been changed now so that you have to log in to post...

PeterBale
23.12.2002, 18:08
A good bass section and a good percussion section can provide a sound foundation for any band - most of the time no-one will be aware of them, but take them away and you'd know it. Was anyone else present at Symphony Hall in 2001 when Dyke played Deep Harmony on the Sunday afternoon? - The bass note held between the verses was worth the rest of the programme put together!

Aidan
26.12.2002, 22:22
sorry...
but us horny people rule...
we dont need the rest of the band...
just ask anyone from the rncm horn class (club)
our arrangements for horns rule... even though lyndon cheated :lol:

Aidan

Taffrin
27.12.2002, 14:26
For me it's Horns and Baritones - they gel the top and bottom ends (if you pardon the expression) together, colour the sound and give it its character and warmth (or not as the case may be) :wink:

cornetgirl
30.12.2002, 21:10
Well, I reckon it depends on the band you play with and the people you sit with!!!

So while FLUG is my all time fave instrument, right at this minute my vote has to go to....

THE FRONT ROW (well, as long as there are some girls there to keep the men in check!!!)

engelbert humperWink
31.12.2002, 00:56
as a bari/euph player(mainly bari) for the past 20something years i think im qualified to put my argument forward!
Baritone parts have everything-solo work,duets,um-chucks even bass line work---who wants to sit there all night playing pretty twiddly bits-variety is the spice of life.
We are not all failed cornet/horn/euph players-we are stars in our own right!!

timmy the tuba
01.01.2003, 13:49
I'm afraid that the best section is and always will be the BASS Section.

They are the cutest, friendliest, happiest, slimmest, best looking, someone you must take home to mum!!!!!!! type player ever. They are modest and polite, never argue or moan. They will always drink in moderation and always always behave themselves!!!!!

:lol: :wink: :D 8) :shock: :) :o :P :wink:

leisa
20.09.2003, 23:46
noooooo!! front row is the best!!! although back row has more fun cos they are hidden!!!!! :)

Euph-Bari
20.09.2003, 23:55
euph section, go on i'll include bari's in that!

craigyboy1
20.09.2003, 23:59
Front Row is where its at :!: :!:

Aren't the rest of the band all failed cornet players anyway :P With the obvious exception of Trombone players and percussionists who are just born mad and can't help it :D

Cantonian
21.09.2003, 01:47
Horns. And we're the best looking apart from B***n.

faerie
21.09.2003, 02:13
Euph, very definately! ALways get the pretty melodies, and the counter-melodies, and generally more interesting stuff to play that the rest of the lower sections, yet with a beautiful (hopefully!) sound.

Sellers_Bird
21.09.2003, 13:30
SORRY, but back row rule... we have the most difficult job if keeping four different parts goin at once (sop,rep, 2nds and 3rds) and sometimes even our parts are split into two aswell, so thats 6 parts! plus we can be deviant without bein caught behind the front row :D :wink:

horn1
21.09.2003, 20:37
I'm glad to see the best section is indeed winning in the poll!!! :D :D Horns rule because without them we wouldn't be a brass band! So there!!!

beard_4b
22.09.2003, 08:58
Solo cornet! thats why theres 4 of them!

PeterBale
22.09.2003, 10:00
You could always turn that argument round, and say they can't be so good if it needs 4 of them :wink: :lol: :lol:

Jo Elson
22.09.2003, 12:01
your best player should be on principal, 2nd best on rep, 3rd best on 2nd man down and then 4th best on top 3rd cornet! Well that is what I think anyway!!

I'd have to disagree slightly. I had to play 3rd cornet for a contest once because we had 2flugels, and although the solo and 1st cornet parts are hard because of the pitch and are complecated parts they do have the tune which is easier in some ways. The 2nd and 3rd cornet parts are equally as hard a lot of the time. They have off beat quavers and hardly ever have the tune like front row and these parts are really vital in a contest. In my opinion i think that solo down to 3rd cornets shouldn't be ranked in best down all the time. However i do realise that what you are saying can be true.

beard_4b
22.09.2003, 12:09
You could always turn that argument round, and say they can't be so good if it needs 4 of them :wink: :lol: :lol:

But what's the bass sections excuse???? :lol: :wink:

PeterBale
22.09.2003, 12:32

Bass sections don't need excuses :lol: :lol: :lol:

beard_4b
22.09.2003, 12:55
fair enough! :oops:

PeterBale
22.09.2003, 13:01
fair enough! :oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Big Fella
22.09.2003, 13:35
Completely Agree,
Bass Sections Do Not Need ANy Excuses
And When It Comes Down To It, A Bass Section Can Beat Anything, Or Body. Just Depends, On How Big A Stick You Use...

leisa
22.09.2003, 15:26

Bass sections don't need excuses :lol: :lol: :lol:

nether do we cornets!!! :P we just need 4 because we are sooooooo clever we need to share out the cleverness so as not to over exurte ourselves!!! :?

Aidan
22.09.2003, 16:35
but le horny horns are still on top (beurgh)
and there are only 4 of us... (in any one band at any one time)

geordiecolin
22.09.2003, 16:37
Over exert yourselves, as in you each take a turn using your braincell?

On a more serious note, people often underappreciate the job the basses do at the back. As was previously mentioned, take them away and you'd know about it. You might think that the conductor or the percussionist has control of the band's tempo..... rubbish, if they have the mind do it, the basses can be far far more dictatory. I've often had battles with percussionists whilst playing. They'll be off in their own world getting faster/slower, ignoring the conductor and it will be down to the basses to drag them up/back to the beat.

I don't think other players (esp Cornet players esp Front Row) appreciate how much of their work we do for them. We create a solid base on which they can perch and produce the detail with less effort. I wish certain players would realise this and refrain from blasting out top Cornet parts full-blast, as if their life depended on it. 9 times out of 10 it ain't nessasary!!

Big up the Back Row!! As an ex 3rd/2nd/Rep player I know the job you guys do and how difficult it is, despite how "easy" it may sound. No band'll ever go anywhere with a duff Back Row!

leisa
22.09.2003, 16:41
Over exert yourselves, as in you each take a turn using your braincell?

On a more serious note, people often underappreciate the job the basses do at the back. As was previously mentioned, take them away and you'd know about it. You might think that the conductor or the percussionist has control of the band's tempo..... rubbish, if they have the mind do it, the basses can be far far more dictatory. I've often had battles with percussionists whilst playing. They'll be off in their own world getting faster/slower, ignoring the conductor and it will be down to the basses to drag them up/back to the beat.

I don't think other players (esp Cornet players esp Front Row) appreciate how much of their work we do for them. We create a solid base on which they can perch and produce the detail with less effort. I wish certain players would realise this and refrain from blasting out top Cornet parts full-blast, as if their life depended on it. 9 times out of 10 it ain't nessasary!!

Big up the Back Row!! As an ex 3rd/2nd/Rep player I know the job you guys do and how difficult it is, despite how "easy" it may sound. No band'll ever go anywhere with a duff Back Row!

oi!!! :P i said Bass players were bright in the other thread!!! bass players arem top!!! i also said trombone players were...but im not goin there again........... :?

Cantonian
22.09.2003, 16:49
In reality every section is as important as the next....even the baritones and basses. Imagine most of the pieces that we play without one section of the band.

beard_4b
22.09.2003, 16:53
we need 4 solo cornets coz u basses ALWAYS drag and play louder than u need to and never practice coz u can't be bothered taking ur instruments home. instead u leave them in the band room from one band practice to the next!!!!! :wink:

beard_4b
22.09.2003, 16:55
horns rule tho, coz all the nice girls play horn!!!

Straightmute
22.09.2003, 17:00
...and why do bass players always take longer to find their music? Is it because all their parts look the same?

D

geordiecolin
22.09.2003, 17:56
Probably :( :(

It will always take us longer, we've got a massive instrument to maneuver, as well as finding the music!!

geordiecolin
22.09.2003, 17:57
It will always take us longer, we've got a massive instrument to maneuver

BLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRR RRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!

leisa
22.09.2003, 20:08
hahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhhahhahehe :lol:

tewkeshorn
22.09.2003, 20:15

Thanks, erm I think! :?

horn1
22.09.2003, 21:22

I'm not sure if I should be thanking you for that one! :shock:

groovy
22.09.2003, 23:21
Trombones are great!!!!! :D :D :D
We play loud!!!

frisp
23.09.2003, 22:37
What a stupid topic!!!!!

You're *****xed without basses.....

..and you all know it :shock:

Aidan
24.09.2003, 11:22

agreed :wink:

Darth_Tuba
24.09.2003, 11:23

agreed :wink:

Yes, I always said you were a girl Aidan! :shock:

Seedhouse
24.09.2003, 11:30
I prefer the Euph/ Bari section. Obviously because i'm a Euph player, but I like the sound that the secton makes, and it's lovely to be the sound that come out of the middle of the band. I especially like pieces with Euphs in 3rds, it can sound really nice.
Anywho, i feel like i've jst talked a load of weird stuff :lol:

Aidan
24.09.2003, 11:42
Yes, I always said you were a girl Aidan! :shock:
was that an admittance of your attraction to me then..?

Darth_Tuba
24.09.2003, 12:35
No Aidan, you might be a girl, but you're a damn ugly one! :twisted:

Morghoven
24.09.2003, 20:07
I'm sorry to say this, but it surely has to be percussion, and here is why:

1. We get to play lots of different instruments, including several that can often sound very silly (I personally think there aren't enough bulb horn parts in test pieces...)
2. We have to be able to read more than one clef; and nobody has yet worked out a good way of writing out percussion parts, so they all look different. At least a C is a C on every other instrument.
3. If you attack us, we have a huge variety of weapons with which to attack you back.
4. (and most important) A tam tam player who is (a) good (b) angry (c) drunk (d) all of the above can play louder than even the trombones. Particularly sadistic ones can even time it so that they start winning the volume contest at the exact moment the bass trombone player has to breathe.

I will now take cover as the entire brass-playing world attempts to kill me.... :shock:

Dave

leisa
24.09.2003, 23:16
aw!! i actually think percussion players are quite clever especially xylophone players in the solos and stuff we have a stand in joke about our tam-tam player at college cos she runs at the thing! not sure whether i should be sayin this cos wen i said trombones were clever....well......save a bit of that cover for me actually! :?

Morghoven
25.09.2003, 00:34
i actually think percussion players are quite clever

That may actually be the first time anyone has said that about percussion players. It usually goes something like "I think the percussion player is quite drunk...." :guiness I humbly thank you on behalf of percussionists everywhere!!!

hairyspuds
26.09.2003, 14:33
its got to be the Cornets specially the Principal Cornet player infact specially the principal cornet player of Hatfield Coal Power still living a dream :lol:

beard_4b
26.09.2003, 17:38
i agree front row cornets (and the nice female horns - hi sheona) rule!!!

leisa
26.09.2003, 18:07
i agree front row cornets (and the nice female horns - hi sheona) rule!!!

as in sheona white???hehe she works in my old scool i'll tell her u sed that she will be pleased!!"

super_sop
26.09.2003, 18:16
aw!! i actually think percussion players are quite clever especially xylophone players in the solos and stuff we have a stand in joke about our tam-tam player at college cos she runs at the thing! not sure whether i should be sayin this cos wen i said trombones were clever....well......save a bit of that cover for me actually! :?
oh no here we ggo again.....................the ever so slightly insane leisa sticking up for the rabble!!! :lol: :wink:

leisa
26.09.2003, 18:21
oh no here we ggo again.....................the ever so slightly insane leisa sticking up for the rabble!!! :lol: :wink:

oi!!!!!! there are more trombone and percussion players than u think!!!! they will not be happy u are callin me insane!!!!!
i am not insane!!!!!!!!!!

Euph-Bari
26.09.2003, 18:24
edited because of tears

leisa
26.09.2003, 18:27
i am not insane!!!!!!!!!!

*Cough*

:cry:

akwarose
27.09.2004, 19:46
guys guys guys, come on. i think we all know who really reigns supreme in the brass band...

yes, thats right, the back row cornets.

you may laugh, but we are the backbone of the cornet section, we get all the horrible off-beat quavers and the little bits that no1 else in the band has, and we get the most stick off the MD. but do we complain?? no!!

BACKROW FOREVER!!!!!

and if ur really nice we even shout u a drink up the pub occasionally...:cool:

lynchie
28.09.2004, 02:17
guys guys guys, come on. i think we all know who really reigns supreme in the brass band...

yes, thats right, the back row cornets.

you may laugh, but we are the backbone of the cornet section, we get all the horrible off-beat quavers and the little bits that no1 else in the band has, and we get the most stick off the MD. but do we complain?? no!!

BACKROW FOREVER!!!!!

and if ur really nice we even shout u a drink up the pub occasionally...:cool:
To put it simply... you are wrong...

rutty
28.09.2004, 07:46
Crikey - I started this thread nearly two years ago! :o

Liz Courts
28.09.2004, 17:00
Hmmm, well I wasn't a tMPer then, so I'll reply now!

Even though I'm a front row cornet, I had to vote back row cornets, because that's where I belong and where I want to be!! :D :D

ian perks
28.09.2004, 17:03
EUPHS&BARIS with out us 4 you would be LOST FOR SOUND in the MIDDLE OF THE BAND:-D

Nuke
28.09.2004, 19:37
Trombones. I must be the only trombone player told to play louder.