PDA

View Full Version : Tricks on other Players

Aussie Tuba
19.05.2003, 22:58
Has anyone ever wittnessed any funny tricks played on other Players .
As a young Bass player I watched the Solo Cornet section get up to Quite a few Tricks .
The best one was The pricipals Cornet was replaced by a left hand Cornet of the same age and make as his own instrument .
The fun started when the Band started to play and for some reason the Principal Cornet had forgotten how to hold his Cornet . Got the best laugh I''ve ever seen .
any other good Tricks ?????? :oops:

WhatSharp?
20.05.2003, 07:46
:D :D :D Great!

I once witnessed (but was in now way a party to :wink: ) the solo horns valves being swapped around during the interval....

Maestro
20.05.2003, 08:16
I once witnessed the results of a piece of clingfilm being placed over the bottom of a cornet player's mouthpiece. Not all that funny really......unless it was immediately before he was due to stand up to play the last post !!! :lol: :lol:

ps. The result was one boss who was NOT a happy bunny.

PeterBale
20.05.2003, 08:53
A second-hand account, this one, told to me by a former condeuctor of the Coventry Police Band. He had been a Royal marines trombonist, and was always coming up with stories. He told us how one of their NCOs, another trombone player, was a right pain, and kept giving them a hard time, so they decided to get their own back.

They removed his mouthpiece, and filled the end of his instrument with talcum powder before replacing it. When they then paraded on the deck of the ship, resplendant in their navy jackets, he started to blow and nothing happened. Blowing harder, the talcum powder made its way through the instrument before ending up on the back of the tunic of the Director of Muisc, who was standing in front, conducting. :lol: :lol: :lol:

You wanna blow my what?
20.05.2003, 13:15
Apart from the usual stealing of people's mouthpieces & slides.....I've seen a tube FILLED with water, which wasn't that funny, cos it was a lot of water.....

but on NYBBW this girl put water in one of the Euphs, in return she got thrown in the stream :D

PeterBale
20.05.2003, 14:46
I've known a tenor sax player do most of a concert with a disposable plastic beaker in the bell of his instrument. It only came to light when he had a couple of particularly low notes to play, and the cup started to rattle away as he closed the bottom pads, and the air had to travel the full extent of the instrument.

sudcornet
20.05.2003, 15:43
Tales from the past.....some from my own, murky, dim and distant....

http://www.stapesilverband.btinternet.co.uk/BOTB.HTM

Sud.

wolfey
20.05.2003, 15:43
A good trick to play on trombone players is to fill up the trigger section with water, just half fill it so they don't notice the extra weight till ...*woosh gurgle* they use the F-trigger.

Aidan
20.05.2003, 16:32
hah yeah laura.. that was a deviant course...
that was also the one where wilf got his slides removed, then his mouthpiuece filled with mayonaisse and covered in cling film wasnt it... and cloughy played the whole concert with jelly is his concert shoes without noticing... and a used bog brush got thrown out of the toilet window and hit mr armor... and 11 wardropes got put into mr obermullers room ;) and the girls decorated the whole of their corridor in toilet paper... :D good stuff

Aidan
20.05.2003, 16:34
Oh.. and Elgar Howarth mistakenly announced that the composer of Tam O' Shanter was gay! :D

neiltwist
20.05.2003, 17:41
I remember when we put some 'unsavoury' images in the middle of one of roy newsomes scores! that was crackin!

JessopSmythe
20.05.2003, 19:26
Bagpuss and I used to play in the same Jazz band and used to wind the MD up all the time. Whichever one of us he introduced as soloist in "Song of India" the other one played. When he got wise to that and said that either one of us might do it, we played it as a duet. When he announced that possibility at the next gig we both sat and stared at him until he was forced to pick up his flugel and cue it in himself :D

You wanna blow my what?
21.05.2003, 00:39
I've known a tenor sax player do most of a concert with a disposable plastic beaker in the bell of his instrument.

HAHA I went to a rehearsal and had a slide grease bottle wedged in my sax! D'oh! We couldn't work out what was wrong with it!

11 wardropes got put into mr obermullers room

Hehe my friend put a radiator in another friend's bed last year on NYBBW, he stumbled into his room, and just looked at it with a most amazing face which I cannot describe, mweehheee :D

Aidan
21.05.2003, 09:11
I remember when we put some 'unsavoury' images in the middle of one of roy newsomes scores! that was crackin!
aaah that got done aswell.. to elgar.. he was quite amused i think!
Then he handed them back to a girl saying "are these yours", naturally everyone wet themselves.. especially as she was a lesbian :shock:

geordiecolin
21.05.2003, 11:28
On a County Residential trip we were rehearsing and this flute player had one of those tops with the velcro letters. Suddenly half way through a piece the conductor broke down in laughter and couldn't conduct again for 5 - 10 mins. When he finally told us what was funny, we knew why. This lass had "Why are you looking at my boobs Mr Snowdon?" written on her top.

IckleSop
21.05.2003, 13:08
well i havnt played any tricks on the players but i have on our conductor..........

In rehearsal we had all just gone for break and while everyone was out of the room 3 of us hid his baton and changed his scores with tune of a day, then when we came back in the back row swapped places with the bass players, her noticed the tune of a day but didnt notice us, it took him the whole of Slaidburn and the start of Wonky Piano to notice.

Was funny at the time!

rutty
21.05.2003, 13:37
When I was playing with the RAF Voluntary Band at Waddington the whole band decided that we'd start a dining-in night with one particular march regardless of what our conductor wanted. Naturally he started conducting Aces High while we all started playing something else - The Medallion probably. Can't rightly remember. :lol:

Cantonian
22.05.2003, 18:05
Just last Saturday, canton band getting used to Chelmsford hall. We were about to warm up with 'As the Deer'. Solo horn and Flugel start so we transposed it up a semitone. I don't think the Basses and baritones noticed when they came in though!

You wanna blow my what?
23.05.2003, 13:03
Hehe one of my old teachers had a rubber stuck in his trumpet for ages and he didn't know, he thought he was getting old.....when he eventually took it out, it was one of the loudest things I've ever heard! :D

Valvecap
27.05.2003, 09:05
Was playing bumper to a guy in a scratch band, when he stood up to play a jazz solo, I placed a fibre cup mute square in the middle of his seat.

Needless to say - perfect solo, not so perfect language when he sat down...

Had a detrimental effect on the performance - he sat down, shot up again so quick that the stand, music and all disappeared across the stage...

Miracle i survived to tell the tale really.

Heather
27.05.2003, 10:57
When playing for Eagley Band we organised a strippogram for our conductor, Chris Wormald on his 30th birthday.
She turned up in a police womans outfit in the middle of rehearsal.
She began by telling him she would have to book him as his car was illegally parked! She played this really well and it was very believeable...we were all desperately trying not to laugh!
When she started stripping off it was hilarious to see his face. In the end he ended up conducting in his undies...after being spanked of course!!!!

AJSOP
15.03.2004, 10:32
playing for a youth band concert once. 5mins before the concert started, i decided to take the mouthpiece of our euph player. (thinking he'd realise b4 going onto stage) He didnt realise until he got on stage. I forgot i had it. Band were ready to start and looked over and he was crying. oh dear! He was only bout 10 at the time. :) :roll:

Trigger
15.03.2004, 10:58
In my old band, the percussionist always had the most miserable face when he was playing and we always used to wind him up about it. One concert, he had to start a piece with a really quiet drum solo on his own for what seemed like forever- in rehearsals prior to this everyone used to try and stare him out and make him laugh until he messed it up. So on the night of the concert, I got hold of the music and wrote all over it - don't laugh! When it came to the piece he put it up and didn't notice it until he actually started playing. You could see he was trying not to laugh and by some miracle he made it through. Unfortunately it back fired on me, because I was laughing so much, that I couldn't play a note!!

drummergurl
15.03.2004, 11:06
these are 2 that ive heard of happening! putting a duster up a tubular bell so when u play it it just goes clunk, and the second one is sellotaping a pen to the back of the tamtam so when someone plays it, it rattles!

ScrapingtheBottom
15.03.2004, 11:34
I remember putting a large bap down the end of a tuba at one county orchestra rehearsal. It was great watching the guy pull out all of the tubing, changing the valves etc. The best thing was I managed to steathily remove the bap as well, so he didn't know what had gone wrong, and everyone else thought he was being ****!

Dave Euph
15.03.2004, 12:39
The 1st trombonist in HUSCB is forever stealing my mouthpiece and slapping me on the stomach when I stretch. I'll get him ...

The Cornet King
15.03.2004, 12:46
We've just done the usual put a cushion down one of the bass players bells.
After seeing the poor bass player going bright beetroot red in some desperate attempt to produce a sound the band was in absolute stitches.
Next thing we know this great cushion comes hurling towards the cornet section! :lol:

Some soul also tried swapping my valves around during the interval of a concert...unaware that my mutant cornet can actually play perfectly with the 2nd and 3rd valves swapped! :? I had great joy in having the last laugh! :D

:wink:

Mike Saville
15.03.2004, 13:28
In my old band, the percussionist always had the most miserable face when he was playing and we always used to wind him up about it. One concert, he had to start a piece with a really quiet drum solo on his own for what seemed like forever- in rehearsals prior to this everyone used to try and stare him out and make him laugh until he messed it up. So on the night of the concert, I got hold of the music and wrote all over it - don't laugh! When it came to the piece he put it up and didn't notice it until he actually started playing. You could see he was trying not to laugh and by some miracle he made it through. Unfortunately it back fired on me, because I was laughing so much, that I couldn't play a note!!

. . . waterloo!

Rambo Chick
15.03.2004, 14:35
My first and third valves were swapped round and it wasn't until the next evening after i had been playing all day that i was told and i didnt even notice!!! :oops:

VenusTromster
15.03.2004, 14:39
My first and third valves were swapped round and it wasn't until the next evening after i had been playing all day that i was told and i didnt even notice!!! :oops:

Wonder who that was??? :dunno :P :twisted: :P :twisted: :lol:

It didn't happen when you were drinking in the pub all afternoon did it??? :guiness :wink:

Kirsty Abbotts
15.03.2004, 14:53
Drinking? In the afternoon?! :D

Surely not!!

VenusTromster
15.03.2004, 15:05
Drinking? In the afternoon?! :D

Surely not!!

:shock: I'm very disappointed in you Carolyn!! :P

One nice trick to play is to use another players part and write in the wrong fingering above the notes (even if you don't need to ). Next time they come to use it, it pretty much throws the player until they catch you sniggering in the background!!

ScrapingtheBottom
15.03.2004, 15:27
:shock: I'm very disappointed in you Carolyn!! :P

One nice trick to play is to use another players part and write in the wrong fingering above the notes (even if you don't need to ). Next time they come to use it, it pretty much throws the player until they catch you sniggering in the background!!

Some muppet did that to the Bass Trom part in Schubert's unfinished (what we are playing at Uni). The worrying things are that they did it in biro and they happen to be right half the time?!

Lisa
15.03.2004, 15:35
The person who sits next to me in wind band keeps stealing my mouthpiece and I never notice - soo not funny! :roll:
We have a 'not quite on the ball' solo cornet player in our band who gets confused easily and is really fun to wind up. He sometimes has the wrong piece of music on his stand and no-one bothers to tell him. He then comes in playing something completely different to the rest of the band, which is always really funny! :lol:

cornetchap
15.03.2004, 15:46

Some muppet did that to the Bass Trom part in Schubert's unfinished (what we are playing at Uni). The worrying things are that they did it in biro and they happen to be right half the time?!

Chris, I'm curious as to what type of bass trom you play where fingering matters, didn't you think 12, 13, 23 and especially 123 might have been a bit awkward to reach even for a bass trombonist :D

ScrapingtheBottom
15.03.2004, 15:52
Chris, I'm curious as to what type of bass trom you play where fingering matters, didn't you think 12, 13, 23 and especially 123 might have been a bit awkward to reach even for a bass trombonist :D

Well I have three valves just like the rest of you. My F valve, My Gb valve and my spit valve! :D

BFN
15.03.2004, 17:46
It wasn't at band, but at school: The teacher had witten the note names on a glock for one of the less gifted members of our class, and (foolishly) left us to get on with it. Naturally I rubbed out the chalk and re-wrote them a note out. The teacher was somewhat embarrassed when he came back, but I didn't have the heart not to tell him it was me!

You wanna blow my what?
15.03.2004, 18:07
On NYBBW one of the bari players filled the infamous Gareth Ritter's Euphonium with water (literally filled).

So he chucked her in the river.

She had just come back from holiday and had minimal clothes with her for the course.

Another time on the NYBBW we told Gwilym (again infamous) that we were having a dress rehearsal, and he believed us. haha.

fartycat
15.03.2004, 18:24
I once saw a french horn player get the deep heat mouthpiece treatment just before his long solo in Brahms 1. Credit to him though, he got through the solo although he was literally in tears at the end of it :D

Trigger
16.03.2004, 17:42

. . . waterloo!

I was defeated, you won the war, Waterloo, promise to love you forever more, nahnah nahnah nahnah...

Ok, i'm gonna live up to my name (trigger) and say, I don't get it??

You wanna blow my what?
17.03.2004, 15:18
I once saw a french horn player get the deep heat mouthpiece treatment just before his long solo in Brahms 1.

That is *so* mean. Not a trick, but a disaster for me - the string came off my 1st valve just before I was about to play the solo in 3rd mvt of Brahms 3, I had to play it on my friend's horn & yuck it wasn't good at all.

Trigger
17.03.2004, 18:52
It wasn't so much a trick, but an accident. On my first contest with my new band, we weere playing Journey into Freedom. I was chatting away to the Eb bass player in in registration and I dropped my mute down his bell. It went right down and out of site. Poor git, he had the Eb bass solo in the middle of the piece too. Luckily he managed to get it out. The contest before that, apparently someone pressed his valve in and it stuck and wouldn't move, right before he went on the stage. Is that bad luck or what??

Basses are best
17.03.2004, 19:02
At the Uni windband this one.

The conductor was taking us through a piece of music in which the first 15 or so bars were woodwind only so the brass section teamed together and decided to play everything up a semi-tone when we came in. Needless to say the conductor wasn't too pleased but he did eventually see the funny side. The only worrying thing is, we were probably closer in tune with the oboes!!!!!!!

Bassment Jinx
18.03.2004, 00:06
Luckily he managed to get it out

Luckily i twisted my Bass round the right way and it fell out, it could have been a lot worse otherwise! :P

Trigger
18.03.2004, 00:08
:Luckily he managed to get it out :lol:

Luckily i twisted my Bass round the right way and it fell out, it could have been a lot worse otherwise! :P

Matt you wanna be careful how much you quote of someone. If they haven't read the page before, it can be taken out of context!! :lol: :lol:

Australian Euphonium
18.03.2004, 12:16
Last year before I graduated, our school's Wind Orchestra was prepping thorugh its pieces a couple of weeks before the years end concert and one of the percusionists threw a peg down the bell of my eupho in the middle of 'Molly On The Shore'. After twisting and shaking the instrument the end result was that the peg got stuck firmer than ever near where the 4th valve slide runs out of the valveset. Anyway we took it outside and flushed it through with a fire hose and still no result - peg stuck firm. Thats where the fun started.

As I twined a curtain wire around the tubing to get to the peg, I began to explain to this (very stupid) percussionist that this particular besson sovreign eupho was nearly irreplaceable because it was made from rare metal that did not in fact exist anymore and it was one of only 2 in the whole world, with an approximate value of $50 000 AUD (bout 20 000 pounds) and that the tubing was laced with delicate laser cut fibres that gave this euphonium its trademark sound. He of course bought everything and was soon close to tears in the back of the band room explaining to his fellow musicians how we had to shove a curtain wire up the eupho and in doing so we broke all the fibres, leaving him with a damage bill of 50 grand.

We gave him the good news while he was on the phone explaining the situation to his mother and after a brief moment of shock, proceeded to chase me like a demon around the music block for the next hour or so.

Needless to say, he didn't sign my senior yearbook and wasn't too keen on getting a photo come formal night!!!

aimee_euph
18.03.2004, 19:31
our sop player put a tuba soloists chair on the wrong side of the stage during a concert, and our conductor didn't seem v impressed cause the tuba player had his back to the audience!

drummergurl
18.03.2004, 20:07
our sop player put a tuba soloists chair on the wrong side of the stage during a concert, and our conductor didn't seem v impressed cause the tuba player had his back to the audience!

oh yeah, and our conductor played a tubular bell part in another piece and completely messed it up! very funny from my point of view! i think after that she told the audience that she would nevre yell at percussion after she has now found out it is harder than it looks!! i intend to keep her to that for the rest of her conducting life!

tim
18.03.2004, 21:00
My brother used to have a 3 valced jupiter euphonium and my mum didn't know where the mouthpiece was kept and guessed that it was kept... DOWN THE BELL and promptly dropped it down there....

Realising her folly she turned the euph upside down and attempted to shake the mouthpiece out of the instrument after it got stuck... In the end the bottom of the instrument had more of a flair that the bell!!!

Also a percussionist ive met once managed to miss a Tam-Tam note... not just forgetting about the note but missing the actual cymbal and hitting the frame!!!

bassinthebathroom
18.03.2004, 22:18
A good one that I recall from CYBB a few years ago was putting a clothes peg on the 4th valve of the Bass player on your left so that it attached sideways under the valve cap. Do this just before a solo which uses 4th valve! Great fun! It goes down a bit and just makes this farty niose. Eb Bass solo from Journey into Freedom is the best, as the 4th valve isn't actually used until the very last descending passage!

RondoRotundo
19.03.2004, 22:40
Years ago at Rushden Windmill, we had an old set of tubular bells (high pitch conversions!), the ones on a wooden 'A' frame that were just in one line, anyway we decided to dig out 'Bells Across The Meadow' as a bit of a novelty item for a concert. About two numbers before the said piece there was some clanging from the back of the band because some wag had changed them all to a different order. One person in the band failed to share everyone else's amusement!

akwarose
24.03.2004, 23:26
best trick....... get a spray bottle (places like boots do them) and fill it with water then, walk up behind someone and pretend to sneeze. as you 'sneeze', spray some of the water onto the back of that persons neck. if ur quick enough, they dont notice the bottle and think you've sneezed on them......... a friend of mine did it once, and the person they did it to swears she actually sneezed on him to this day!!!! twas hi-=lary-bus :P

eckyboy
25.03.2004, 08:18
After a break we often used to take the 2cnd valve slide out of one of the other guys cornets with me being the main culprit.My sidekick did it to me at a gala concert and I didnt notice until I had a solo to play during the first piece after break.It sounded good.

jambo
25.03.2004, 10:48
My illustrious princlpal cornet decided he would swap my valves during the break before the final run through before the area just gone.

As I returned and ha ha ha to swap the valves back the 3rd valve totally exploded as the top had become loose.

The band had to wait about 20 mins whilst the thing was attempted to be repaired by numerous people as it just woudn't go back correctly before I was sent from the rehersal to go and repair it.

Needless to say the conductor was well chuffed... :oops:

Andy_Euph
25.03.2004, 18:46
Was on a residential course with the County Wind Band when one of the tuba players kept knicking the others music... so as revenge the other one took his "mates" tuba to bits (slides etc) and hid them in various parts of the castle we were stopping at. To make it even better, once all the slides had been returned (on order of a teacher) he still didn't admit defeat and covered the mouthpiece with albus oil :lol: :lol: I remember Alistair wretching for quite a while :lol:

Now hows that for revenge :twisted:

louise0502
25.03.2004, 20:31
when the band were camping once, we all turned someone's caravan around so when they came back from the pub they couldn't find the door!

backrowrules
26.03.2004, 00:00
fanx guys, for giving me such gd ideas! i think i will be trying a few of these out myself! heehee :twisted:

Jasonp
27.03.2004, 13:12
Not tricks played on people, but funny none the less.
I'm an army musician so I do a lot of marching band gigs.
I once did a gig at a showjumping event in Germany and we were just about to march on when our tuba player dropped his march cards into a pile of horse s**t, he picked them up with his nice clean white gloves and carried on. The same tuba player on a gig in Hyde Park London marched into a tree. I've seen a trombone players slide fly of at a tattoo in Sweden in front of a huge audience but by far the funniest thing I ever saw was during our display on the Royal tournament when one of our trombone players got his water key tangled in the side netting. He was stuck there struggling to free his slide while the rest of the band countermarched passed him and left him behind. I'm laughing my a** off thinking about it. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Confused Cornet Player
01.04.2004, 01:36
Im told that soap flakes in the mouthpiece is a cunning and extremely funny prank...never seen it happen but i imagine the bubbles coming out the bell of an instrument would b pretty cool to see... :D

Okiedokie of Oz
01.04.2004, 01:53
In the mouthpiece??? Wouldn't he taste it???? Perhaps further down

Confused Cornet Player
01.04.2004, 01:55
Not sure hey..There's only one way to find out... :D

Okiedokie of Oz
01.04.2004, 01:59
Do what you must.