Christmas........... (its early i know, dont hurt me ha ha ha)

MissBraz

I wanted to start a new thread for discussion.

What piece do you personally look forward to playing at Christmas?

I am sure everyone's is different and no doubt some will disagree, but it is personal opinion.

One of my faves is Troika. Just love it when that comes out of the library at Christmas!

John Brooks

For me that's a moving target and also, since I've retired from playing cornet I'm referring to playing my iPod! One of my favourites is Philip Harper's arrangement of The Little Drummer Boy.

2nd tenor

Christmas starts to early I look playing Auld Lang Syne which welcomes the beginning of Easter Eggs appearing in the shops

Perhaps Christmas does start too early in the shops but in the Bandroom I need quite a few weeks to dust off the ‘old favourites’ again. Mrs 2T likes Auld Lang Syne too, and for the same reason as you ... but shortly after their arrival the Bathroom scales start reading heavier :rolleyes: .

I am sure everyone's is different and no doubt some will disagree, but it is personal opinion.

One of my faves is Troika. Just love it when that comes out of the library at Christmas!

I quite like playing ‘The Snowman’ (Walking in the Air).

Last edited:

GER

Many years ago, we were playing at a local theatre, and coming on for the second half, chairs were re-arranged and all the band started playing Little Drummer Boy, A spotlight came on, and my son who was 8 at the time walked through the band to the front of the stage, playing the rythm on the snare drum. When we finished there was hardly a dry eye in the venue and he got a standing ovation I was so proud I was in tears and even now 25 years later whenever I hear or play it it brings tears to my eyes. Obviously it's my favourite

flexibass

Two favourite pieces of mine over the last few years have been John Rutter's Candlelight Carol arr. Lorriman and a great fun band number (every section featured) Sandy Smith's Santaclaustraphobia.

Gtrom

For me it'll always be A Christmas Overture by John Golland . The opening is so ethereal and it just gets better and better.

Our Band recorded it for our Christmas CD, it just happened to be the hottest weekend of the Summer, it felt a little surreal!

John Stirzaker

Back playing after a couple of years rest, so straight into Christmas, my heart sinks as the same old stuff is shovelled out of the box where it has been stored with all the tinsel and the percussion's bells. Two pieces lift me. Oh Come all ye Faithful , and I absolutely love Goff Richards Christmas Piece. It does also reminds of a true story

I was at a band practice a few years ago when our MD asked our elderly librarian to 'get out Christmas Piece'. 'Which one?' replied the librarian. 'Goff Richards' came the answer. 'Which Goff Richards? 'Christmas Piece by Goff Richards'. 'Yes but which Goff Richards piece?'. The MD looked at him and started. 'The piece is called...oh forget it I will get it myself'.

I can't come up with a favourite piece, but I do have a concept for a really novel, strange, innovative concert program: Pieces by composers who are not Victor Herbert, Leroy Andersen, or Tchaikovsky.

(I play in five different groups, and there is a certain sameness to the repertoire this time of year.)