Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by JessopSmythe, Jun 18, 2005.

How should Zulu be played?

1. a) Narration first

2. b) Broken into bits & Narrated

3. c) No Narration

4. d) Just put the narrative in the program & let 'em read it

1. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

Had a disagreement about this piece (As arranged by our very own Mr Thorne) with someone the other day and wondered what the verdict of the tMP Court would be.

How should it be played?

a) Read the story / narration out at the beginning and play it straight through
    b) Play it in bits with a bit of narration in between
    c) Leave the narration out all together, just play it.
    d) Just make sure the narrative is in the program. If they're interested, they'll read it
    e) (The official Thornes Music Position) I don't care, Just buy it!
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2005
  2. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

Leave it to the imagination..

You can say it was about blah dee blah.. but then leave it to imagination :biggrin: Wooo :clap: lol
  3. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

I havnt actually heard it but I would probably get annoyed if somone was talking through music or it kept stopping and starting. So probably put it in the programme and if people want to read it then they can.
  4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I can't really pass judgement on this as I've not actually heard the arrangement. What I would say is that, in general terms, pieces with narration can be very effective if done well, such as The Battle of Trafalgar, Lincoln Portrait etc, adding something extra to the music itself.
  5. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Being a HUGE fan of the film Zulu, does this music have anything to do with the film? Or is the title just a coincidence? Didn't vote in the poll as I no nothing about the piece.
  6. Di

Di Active Member

Zulu - The Battle of Rorke's Drift

John Barry & Sir Edward German - arranged by Roger Thorne

This seven minute descriptive and emotive work includes the famous haunting Zulu theme and finishes in a blaze of glory with Men of Harlech.

A stunning addition to your concert or contest programme.

(As broadcast on "Listen to the Band" by Cory's and recently featured by Black Dyke Band)

Detailed Compere Notes supplied

Quote supplied from Thornes Music

We've had this item on our programme for a while at Hathern. Its a "must" for your programme.
    Super work Roger. :clap::clap:
  7. JessopSmythe

You can listen to it HERE
  8. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Zulu is Fab! Its my most favouritest favouritest piece to play EVER! I fell in love with the first time I played it and I ask every week at band if we can play it :tongue: but certain people in our band don't like it :( so we hardly ever play it :( how unfair is that? Oh yes and I'd agree with Vicki just leave it too the imagination! I'd also hate to stop and start playing :tongue: all the way through!
  9. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

History graduate's hat going on. "Zulu" is one of my favourite films , but does depart from accuracy in a couple of key respects , most notably the role of the officers commanding at Rorke's drift. Effective command of the station was in the hands of the Commissary ( equivalent of a commissioned officer in a line regiment ) James Dalton (whose role in the film was negigible).

Have just read an excellent book about it "Rorke's Drift" by Adrian Greaves.
  10. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

If memory serves me right (and at my age that's debateable) , Another error in the film was that they could not have been fired at with the rifles from Isandwana (sp?) as the Impis that attacked Rorkes Drift left Isandwana before the battle was finished and were the unused reserve troops. The number of VC's awarded was to distract the public from the incompetence at Isandwana. Oh, and the end bit of the film, where the Zulus salute them, didn't happen. They buggered off because the relief columns were in sight. Still, it remains a classic film and this arrangement sounds great. (Even with a poor sound card rendition.) My band WILL get this, even if I have to pay for it myself! :clap:
  11. choirmaster

choirmaster Member

Just listened to it via scorch and will be ordering it within a few days. Just out of interest, does anyone know if Zulu available on Video/DVD? I wouldn't mind doing it as a live accompaniment to that segment of the film, projecting the film onto a 8ftxft screen seeing as i'm starting to get into multi media quite a bit these days. Also, I maybe doing a joint concert with a male voice choir next year. Do you think the ending would work well as a joint number?
    Perhaps I should address these ideas to mr.Thorne directly.
  12. JessopSmythe

Aren't you glad I started this thread, Roger?

Commission is payable by paypal;)
  13. dyl

dyl Active Member

We got one of the best Welsh language actors, if not THE best, John Ogwen, to narrate over the beginning of the music on our CD - the reading was done in one take and was spine-tingling the way it just fitted in with the music when we heard it.
  14. Sop_Or_Bass?

Sop_Or_Bass? Member

We played it with the timps repeating the opening rhythm steadily building whilst the narration went on and then started the brass once the narration had finished. Exciting! You'd better believe it!!
  15. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

c or d. Such a good piece of music that continually stopping it, or talking over it is unneccesary.
  16. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Well I ordered it on line this morning about 7.30am and it's still not here yet! What sort of service is that? :) (And I have to pay for it myself!!)
  17. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

I believe the postman set off late yesterday afternoon, so he should be with you early next week!

18. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Postman?? I at least expected a personal delivery! :rolleyes:

It's a wonder you stay in business.:tongue:
  19. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

All received nicely. Now, Mr Thorne, any chance of a copy that can be played by a 4th section band? This one is harder than most of our test pieces! :(
  20. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

We played it as a 4th section band, once you get used to the twiddly bits, it's great! Give it a go!