Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Andy Moore, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Andy Moore

Andy Moore Member

... has got to have his own thread.

Unbelievable. :confused:
  2. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

I'd love to know what the other guy said to make him do that - what a dreadful way to end a career.
  3. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

Yep - shocking.
  4. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

What a nutter.
  5. dyl

dyl Active Member

Whatever was said, ZZ's reaction was well out of order and just looks worse every time I see it. If Materazzi said anything particularly nasty, then ZZ should have shown himself to be above hima and sort it out off the pitch, through the proper channels, after the match.

Sad that such a great player will now forever be remembered for his actions tonight.
  6. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

It was sad to see such a great career end in ignomy, and on the biggest stage too.

Its easy to sit and criticise when your not int he pressure situation, but Zidane is experianced enough to ignore any name-calling - or whatever it was that sparked him off, and thats exactly what he should've done - ignore it, and go win the game for his country.
  7. postie

postie Member

I am still totally bemused by the actions of Zidane very strange!!!!
  8. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

It sure looks awful (and worse) when you see it this way...

9. dyl

dyl Active Member

Well - it's out - the reason why ZZ flipped at Materazzi. The Italian, an ex-Evertonian, is alleged to have said:

"I hear you're quitting. I could get you a game at Goodison if you like....."
  10. dyl

dyl Active Member

Seriously - it looks like video evidence is now being used to make decisions in matches:

from http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2006/teams/france/5152728.stm

A dangerous precedent has been set I feel - and anyway - I don't think the use of video evidence has been sanctioned by FIFA? Does that make the sending-off invalid?
  11. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I couldn't believe what I was watching!! What a dreadful way to end such a sparkling international career!!

What a shame. That moment of stupidity is the one moment that he'll be remembered for for ever now, and it's such a shame because his skill with the ball was up there with the best ever.
  12. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

Still voted the Player of the tournament!
  13. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

I think it was something about his north african heritage or some terrorist jibe , whatever was said not the best way to finish your career..

Attached Files:

14. dyl

dyl Active Member

15. manx_yessir

manx_yessir Member

Yeah I thought that last night. The referee and linesmen obviously hadn't seen it and it was only when the 4th official called the Ref over that he did anything. The 4th official had the benefit of watching th same pictures as we were seeing on the big screen and I think it was after seeing what Zidane did that he decided that action needed to be taken.

Imagine the stick the officials would have got if Zidane would have stayed on the the pitch and possibly scored the match winning penalty for France though!

Either way it's such a sad, stupid and needless way to finish such a fantastic career.
  16. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

17. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

I think I'll wait to hear ZZ's side of things before I join in the round of outright condemnation. There is no defence for ZZ's reaction, but if Materazzi said what he is mooted to have in today's Standard, then he should have the book thrown at him too.

Of course, with all the ructions going on in domeestic football in Italy, perhaps Italy should suffer the ultimiate sanction - having the national world cup victory anulled should be a fitting punishment.
  18. dyl

dyl Active Member

But his reaction is there for all to see - like I said previously whatever MM did, ZZ's behaviour was well out of order.

I'll wait for the official verdict! :p
  19. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

And if the speculation about what matterazzi said is true and he did call ZZ a "son of a terrorist whore", should he also have the book thrown at him? It's a pretty low, scum bag thing to say, especially bringing someones relatives in to it.

There isn't any need for anything like that in football, if it's true what do you think is a fitting punishment?

Have his winners medal stripped from him perhaps?
  20. dyl

dyl Active Member

If it's true, then yes definitely.

As for punishment? Send him back to Everton I say. ;)