ZENO cornet?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by alks, Aug 8, 2005.

1. alks

alks Member

Ive heard that yamaha are due to release a new pro cornet? ive read somewhere (on another forum) that it is due later this year and will be called the zeno cornet (like the trumpet) and that it will have david king signature mouthpieces? . Is this true and will therefore the maestro be discontinued ?.
    Does anyone know anything about these? or is it a myth.

2. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Yes, have heard same rumour; actually spelt "XENO". Beyond that, don't know anything ...
  3. dyl

dyl Active Member

There's an article in this month's Brass Herald about this if I remember rightly. Got my copy in the post a couple of days ago, but have only flicked through it so far, will have a look tonight.
  4. persins

persins Member

Sounds interesting. I have just had to have my Maestro fixed but it is still good. I would be interested to hear what improvements Yamaha are proposing to make for the Xeno.
  5. dyl

dyl Active Member

Yup - in the latest edition of The Brass Herald it says that the Yamaha Xeno Cornet is due to be launched in September with the David King signature mouthpiece being the one shipped as standard with the cornet. The article also mentions that YBS' Principal Cornet, Stuart Lingard, has been playing on one of these new cornets since the 2004 Euro Championships in Glasgow. Further details can of course, be read in the magazine.
  6. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

Yup, it's all very true. Alex Thomas (rep at YBS) has been playing on one since just before Christmas, he's my teacher, so I've had a go on it, and they really are fantastic instruments. I'm currently on a Maestro and I thought that was the best instrument ever until I played on the knew Yamaha. I've had a go on the new mouthpiece too, there really hard to fill but they get a beautiful sound.
    I'll definatley be after one when they come out. They're really worth having a look at.
  7. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Has anyone else noticed that there is a spelling mistale in the article as well? They spell it both Xeno and Zeno - oops.

Assuming that this is a new model, what is the situation with the current Xeno cornet? There has been a Xeno cornet available elsewhere for a while. I played one in the States last year and it was very impressive, but I wouldn't put it as a huge leap forward over the Maestro. It was better, but whether it was better enough to warrant spending that amount of money on is another matter.

There are a couple of cornets in the process of being developed that might be worth looking at - Bach are bringing out a cornet designed for the brass band (they are almost admitting that the current one isn't:sup ) and Eclipse are going to be bringing out a cornet in the near future - if it is as good as everything else they make, it will be an incredible instrument.
  8. brassybabe

brassybabe Member

Yeah its true.
    Dave King had me and Alex Thomas trying out different prototypes of it at uni last year. The one that is being released is gorgeous. i will definately be trading in my maestro for this new model when i have some pennies. :D