YouTube - Brass Band Content

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by westburykid, Mar 2, 2007.

1. westburykid

westburykid Member

Hello,

As anyone found any decent Brass Band Content on the YouTube or similar site.
    Seems a good way to promote the movement, and individual bands.

The best bits I have found is clips from World of Brass of their DVDs, and a band at Whit Friday.

As a starter for ten I have uploaded a clip of my Band playing Malaguena at a recent concert.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OANd8DO39cs

Enjoy!

2. alanl58

alanl58 Member

I often wonder how the copyright laws apply to music and performances on YouTube, surely the same as CDs or broadcasts?

Perhaps this is why there are so few brass bands there?

Any tMpers got the legal, rather than speculative, answer?

Alanl58

3. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

A quick scan of Youtube's FAQ leads to this page.

The implication is that if you don't hold the copyright to the material, you can't upload it.

See also here.

4. KMJ Recordings

One more thing - don't forget to include mechanicals in your considerations. What that means is that you'd need explicit permission of the copyright owners to waive their rights to royalties from the MCPS if you upload a video that contains some of their arrangment or composition (and by inference, this probably means that the upload of Malaguena is technically in breach of copyright - but, as it says on the youtube site, I'm not a lawyer, solicitor, attorney.....and I realise that there was a requirement for a 'legal' answer and not conjecture....but....)

That said, there's an interesting section in the second link I gave above on the fair use policy - remember this doesn't actually exist in this country - and I'm not sure how the Law would be prosecuted should a case go to court if you upload to a US site from the UK (or anywhere else).

5. westburykid

westburykid Member

Good Point

Hi,

Thanks for your replies. Thinking about it, I am not sure what the implications are in uploading content like this for viewing.

Nobody is making any money from the upload apart from youtube.com via advertising revenue.

Its an interesting situation, on one hand we are trying to promote the brass band movement, and our own bands. On the other we are trying to keep on the correct side of copyright law.

Therefore I have removed the video from YouTube until we get some clarity on this issue.

6. alanl58

alanl58 Member

Sorry to be a killjoy....

But of course now the BBC has an agreement with Google and YouTube to put their clips on, this web-site will loose it's amateur feel, and no-body will want to watch it anyway....

Perhaps the MouthPiece should set up their own members restricted video/audio web-site where Bands can promote themselves to other Bands freely?

alanl58

7. apl666

apl666 New Member

There is a short youtube video on our band website. It probably is breaking the rules but I can't really see it doing any harm.

http://www.betteshanger.org/

Alan

8. Shed_Builder1

Shed_Builder1 New Member

id second that, seems like an excellent idea! i looked on you tube last night to try and find some brass band performances and it was all foreign bands (not even brass bands) although some were quite impressive, i think that alan's idea is spot on!

9. KMJ Recordings

That one I can answer pretty definitively. It doesn't matter. The situation is exactly the same as disseminating material to which which you don't own the copyright by any other medium. For example, you may copy a CD and upload it to a torrent server - you're not making any money from that either, but it's still against the law. Another example would be photocopying music and giving it to another Band....

I do always tend to come over s bit strong on this kind of thing, but IMO 1) the Band or organisation is 'safe' from litigation (and isn't there too much of that already?) and 2) the people who've put in the effort to produce the copyrighted work should surely receive their dues for it?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2007
  10. KMJ Recordings

John and I have already had discussions about similar things.

For people who are interested about licence implications in the UK for streaming and download services, may I point them at this bit of the MCPS website : Download & Streaming Services

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Brass Band Content
    iBowTie Brass
    YouTube
    iTunes
    people x
  12. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Hey folks

Keith is an expert in these matters, and it is he who I regularly speak with when I need such advice. As Keith has already confirmed, we are already discussing the possibility of a tMP Radio Service which will allow just what you comment on.

I have a dilemma though... maybe you can offer an opinion here.

tMP has always bee free, and I have no intention of changing this whatsoever - but there is a significant cost to me for providing all these services. Donations and voluntary subscriptions, though very much appreciated and gratefully received, do not come anywhere near the total costs of tMP.

If I do decide to go ahead with the tMP Radio service, I will have additional costs on top of the existing costs. So, here's the question:

1 - would you as an individual, be willing to pay a small amount to be able to listen to uploaded music?
    2 - would you as a band be willing to pay a small fee to tMP which would offset the costs of running the service...?

I am keen to know folks... If the results are positive, and people would be willing to help, then there is a significant chance I will be able to offer this service on tMP.

John

13. Souter

Souter Member

St. Ronans have posted a clip of one of their pieces at the recent Scottish borders Brass Band contest on you tube (They won most entertaining band).
    Can't remember the link but do a search for St. Ronans.

14. a_szafranek

a_szafranek Member

Enderby at Butlins 2007

We (Enderby) have some footage on YouTube of us performing at Butlins 2007 - mind you it was after lots of beer and involves a round about!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxMgjKWtfIg

15. andyp

andyp Active Member

1 - would you as an individual, be willing to pay a small amount to be able to listen to uploaded music?

I would happily pay a few pence for something od good quality that I really want. I don't think that's unreasonable, and it's something that Itunes et al seem to have missed in their desire to squeeze as much money out of people of possible.
    The breaking point is (as with everything else) what people are prepared to pay for something they may not like. Or, put another way, what they are prepared to pay to try something they don't already know (and therefore by implication be prepared to write the amount off if they don't like it).

Here's an idea, and it'd have to be technically possible (I think it is). How about a list of samples (maybe 1-2 minutes of each piece) in low quality (44k =AM radio), which would be free. Then if you like it, you download CD quality (or the equivalent in MP3 or whatever) for a charge that covers John's costs (including blanket MCPS, copyright etc) plus 10%.

Is that a goer?

btw, if you're looking on YouTube, try a search on Allan Vitsutti. Wow!

16. KMJ Recordings

Depends on what the uptake is following the samples - regardless of the download quality, someone still has to pay for the licence fees for the samples (by implication, that'd be John)....obviously you'd be hoping that the quality of the material would be such that people would then pay for the full download..but even then....

I guess what that means is that for it to be cost neutral to John at startup, it'd have to carry a subscription. Possibly. :hammer

(and make sure you spell it with a 'z' not an 's' ;) )

17. dyl

dyl Active Member

Make that two zz's - and no t in the first half of the surname! And it's Allen as well! :p

18. andyp

andyp Active Member

I'm not sure. I can only speak personally, but I have some stuff on MP3 that sonically ain't the best quality, but I listen to it cos it's fantastic playing. (ok, guilty, it's taped off LTTB on t'internet and therefore illegal, but will never otherwise see the light of day in some [live] cases).

I still think the breaking point is how much people are prepared to pay for something they may or may not want ( mind you the same argument applies to $ky TV and they aren't short of subscribers lol).

Given that a lot of people already listen via the net, or Mp3, is quality an issue? If you want quality wouldn't you buy the CD?

A lot of publishers already issue partial or full length samples by CD.......

19. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

It sounds like another "passion" that will lose money. I have to pay royalties to every known royalty group for my radio station. It is a hobby -- a passion -- a labour of love. But it loses money big time.

Unless you had an operation the size of iTunes (and if there was money in Brass Band MP3s, iTunes would probably already have done it) it would be difficult to do anything but lose money.

My opinion only.

Jim

20. KMJ Recordings

Sorry Andy, I probably wasn't clear - I was actually talking about the quality of the playing / repertoire on offer rather than the audio.

21. KMJ Recordings

I know - pedant ;)

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Brass Band Content
    iBowTie Brass
    YouTube
    iTunes
    people x