Youth Entertainment

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Feefee, Feb 11, 2005.

1. masefield

masefield Member

Many thanks for your kind words - we got quite a bit of good reaction for the band carrying on and I think given the circumstances they did very well. In the end the Band finished sixth overall so this was a little pleasing. I have to say it rather deflated the day - and the band were very down

2. becks164

becks164 Member

i would just like to say a big thank you to Mark Bousie who took us to blackpool yesterday!!! it was not the result we were looking for but it was our first time at blackpool!!! and overall i thought that Sellers International Youth kicked butt yesterday!!! (im trombone player for sellers) hi fiona i hope you agree with me on this one!!! that it was not what we were expecting but heyt thats how competition life goes

3. Sellers_Bird

Sellers_Bird Active Member

i was well impressed with Sellers aswell.. doesnt matter about the result, u've got the experience now and u can go back next year kicking ass even more!! :D Well done to all participants btw

4. The Rag

The Rag New Member

no problems, it looked Mel (I believe she is called) just fainted, just hope she is ok and is playing soon

5. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I'm pretty sure it'll have been Tracey Coulston. She's been a legend for ages, nice to see she's won something for it now!!:clap:

6. The Rag

The Rag New Member

thanks

incidentially when the lady from Abraham collapsed, was she playing Pokarekare Ane? the introduction wasn't the best, just curious to know

7. masefield

masefield Member

Hi there - yes she was. I assume by the introduction not being the best you meant the compere of the band - if so I will tell him because the adjudication from John Maines said that the compering was excellent.

Any way thanks again for your concern for Melaine she will be touched that it has created some discussion on the mouthpiece. I spoke with her last night at the coach stop on the motorway and all she kept saying was that she had let the band down. I did my best to advise her differently - but given a bit of time to recover I am sure she will be back.

8. cornetsmith

cornetsmith New Member

Well done to sellers. Id just like to say that I thought we did really well!!! Well done to the winners and I hope the sop player of Abraham Darby makes a quick recovery.

9. masefield

masefield Member

I have to say that I thought Sellers had done better as I had listened to some of the other bands and I would not have placed you last musically - but there you go I suppose. Many thanks for your kind words about our sop player Melanie. I hope the recovery will be quick.

10. cornetsmith

cornetsmith New Member

Smith-Sellers front row cornet

I found it a real shame as your sop player was playing very well

11. masefield

masefield Member

Thank you very much - she has always been a very shy and quiet girl who I have watched grow into her playing as she is the same age as my youngest lad and she has come on in leaps and bounds. Both my lads play for Ab Dabs if you saw them they both had red hair - and both on Cornets.

Incidentially I spoke with Mark Bousie to congratulate him and you on your performance - he also passed on congrats to Ab Dabs continuing to play. Please could I trouble you to pass on my thanks and also for the kind words that were said. Sellers International did a concert for us at the school (3rd time) and they went down extremely well. All the best.

12. cornetsmith

cornetsmith New Member

Thats not a problem. Are you an actual player of Abraham Darby?

13. masefield

masefield Member

No I don't play the link with the school is that I have two boys aged 16 and 14 who both play in the bands and I am the Chairperson of the Parents Supporters Group who travel to many of the events to support the Bands, over quite a few years now.

I have only posted on here as a number of tmpers had commented on Melanie and I felt that people would like to know how she was.

14. masefield

masefield Member

Posting to announce some bad news concering Mel. She has been to the dentist and she has had to have a front tooth removed. Having spken to her she is having a temporary tooth put in next week and she will have one put in in 6 months time. Yet to know how long she will be out for.

Thankks for the support

15. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

sorry to hear that..
    You might be interested to speak to Neddy (ScreamingSop) who plays with Poynton and Salford Uni who was in a car crash late november and had his front teeth knocked out, he had some temporary replacements too but I'm not sure what the situation regarding them is now, but he's been back playing for ages and playing very well at the moment. :tup

16. masefield

masefield Member

Thanks very much for the comment might either take you up on the suggestion or get Melanie to make contact. I'm sure that it might well do her the world of good. Incidentially do I take it you play for Poynton as I have been following Poynton Youth ever since I met up with a number of parents from your band. I regularly speak with a chap who has dark hair and a moustache although because my memory is a bit like a sieve have forgotten his name. By the way I have got to say that I thought Poynton played very well.

Thanks for the comments - I think the problem is that this is the first time that the band has experienced anything like this - but Simon Platford the Schools Director of Performing Arts said that he was very pleased with the band members yesterday

17. masefield

masefield Member

Hi Aidan
    Having posted the reply - just discovered that you dont play for Poynton according to your profile - apologies for the confusion.

18. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

No problemo..

Can't say I've ever played for either of the Poynton bands tho :p
    Incidentally, I was prob one of your biggest arch-nemesis's (whats the plural of nemesis..) when I played for Smithills School 2000-02

19. Mark Bousie

Mark Bousie Member

Just to clarify, Sellers Youth were actually docked 12 points (6 from music, 6 from entertainment) for going over the (22 minute) time limit. I clocked it at 2 minutes on my mini disc recording (illegal, I know, but don't tell anybody!). The buck obviously stops with me for that as I didn't account for so much time between pieces (I obviously talked too much!). I'm not too happy with myself, but you learn from experience, as the saying goes.

Had we not been (rightly) penalised we would have come 8th on music, 10th on entertainment and equal 9th overall which would have been a very pleasing result given that it was our first time there. That said, I was extremeley proud of how they played and we did have a great day at a really well run contest with a cracking atmosphere.

20. becks164

becks164 Member

id like to give a big shout out to every one whoplayed with seelers international youth barss band on sunday!!! for me it was a fantastic day out and i think everyone enjoyed playing there and the whole experiance cant wait till next yr to do it!! cheers mark