Youth Championships @ The Scottish Open - Results

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by groovy, Nov 28, 2004.

1. groovy

groovy Active Member

This is from my memory so correct me if I'm wrong!

1. Campbeltown Junior Brass (K. Barr) Gold
    2. Loanhead Brass Roots (A. Fernie) Gold
    3 Perthshire Youth Brass -me!- (G. Annan) Silver

1. Campbeltown Youth Brass (K. Barr) Gold
    2. Queensferry High School Brass Band (G. Ross) Silver
    3=. Jedforest Junior Band (C. Mabon) Silver
    3=. Auchinleck Academy Brass Band (S. Boyd) Silver

1. Aberdeen City Youth Brass Band (E. Kidd) Gold
    2. Moray Concert Brass (G. Munro) Silver

Big WELL DONE to everyone, particularly Campbeltown for double success, and my mate Robbie (sop_star) for a brilliant performance of Misty.
  2. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Thanks groovy! All the bands did VERY well today, to come away with a double today was brilliant, didnt know who was getting what when I was up on stage at the results!

We had a few young ones that have just started in the band and were abit nervous about going away and competing, but by home time they def had caught the banding bug! :D

I enjoyed managing to play today, as you could use an adult bass player in development section, tho suppose it didnt look too good after coming off stage, me holding the U16 cup in 1 hand and a bottle of Miller in the other, shouldve given cup to young Hannah who was up on stage with me (tho she might've prefered the Miller :shock: )!

From the high standard of all the youth bands competing today, it just shows you theres alot of promising young talent all over Scotland thats coming up through the ranks! :clap:
  3. critic

critic Member

Hepworth persimmon homes won thev scottish open
  4. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

Read the thread title! This thread refers to the Youth Contest held at the Scottish Open. I'm sure there will plenty of discussion on Hepworth in the other thread, about the main contest!!

P.S. Congratulations to all youth bands competing, with a special nod to those who were commended! :D
  5. Pla

Pla New Member

Well i played twice yesterday- in the main competition and the youths-with Aberdeen City Youth Brass Band!!! That was fun i can tell you.
    Anyway we're all really glad that we've done the double-i'm sure we'll start rehearsing for the hatrick pretty soon!!

the premier section was lucky enough to get the opportunity to play on the concert hall stage itself (for those of you who werent there) which was a great experience for both the bands in the section. There was a pretty good audience aswell due to the fact it was held directly before the results. However we exeprienced a big problem with people being allowed into the hall DURING our performance- particularly our last piece when loads of folk were pouring in-VERY off putting to the poor soloist who was standing at the front of stage trying his best. Fair enough it's not as serious as the "main" contest but just making the point that the big bands would never put up with it so why should the youth?

anyway-moaning aside it was a great day and well done to all the successful bands-and indeed everyone who took part. As the adjudicators all said- "keep doing what you're doing!"
  6. cornetcheese

cornetcheese Member

I heard Aberdeen City Youth band at the weekend and, as an ex-member myself, really enjoyed the programme and the usual high standard of playing. Not too surprising for a band with Eric at the helm though!

It was a bit dissappointing that the audience for the youth section wasn't larger though, although the people coming into the hall during the flugel solo in Gaelforce was totally out of line. I thought there were ushers at this event??

Richard Kidd was, as usual, outstanding!