Youth Band Tours

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by stotty74, Sep 22, 2004.

1. stotty74

stotty74 Member

My youth band have been invited to visit a band in Germany some time in the next year or so, but i need some advice.

Apparently, the committee aren't keen to take responsibility for the safety of the children whilst we are away, and would prefer it if their parents also came along. Before i was involved with the band, a trip had been organised to Holland, but this had to be cancelled due to the fact that the committee wanted the parents to go with the band. The committee have no problems with looking after the band members when attending contests and social events, but obviously a week away is an entirely different matter, and i can understand their concerns.

So, have other bands experienced this problem in the past? Have the parents of the band members been invited to join the tour? What other advice can you give to us to try and overcome this problem?

Any ideas appreciated.

2. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

We had a youth band from our area travel to Costa Rica a few years ago.

It might be a little easier since you'll be traveling to a European country, but here are some things we learned from that experience.

International travel with children younger than 13 is difficult. Many countries have laws regarding transporting young children across borders (intended to prevent kidnappers and others from doing so for nefarious purposes). It's possible, but there are a lot of barriers to get through. Each child should have a valid passport, and you'll probably have to have some sort of legal authorization from the parents. Even if the parents travel along, you may have some difficulties depending on the laws of the country you're going to visit.

Different countries have different rules. I suggest that you start by contacting the embassy or consulate of the country you're going to visit and get information on exactly what is required to get minors into and out of the country, and on any special papers, visas, etc that might be required.

You might also need to check on insurance requirements over and above any that the organization is already carrying.
  3. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

Perhaps you could assemble a crack team of responsible parents, who are able to give the time, preferably with multi-linguistic capabilities.
  4. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

i'm pretty sure you will have to fill in a risk assesment form if you are taking away a group- at least it had to be done when i went on tour with the orchestras this year and last year.