Your website a common standard?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by alanl58, Sep 21, 2007.

1. alanl58

alanl58 Member

I am about to embark on a late summer/early autumn holiday - engagements for bands in seaside resorts such as Bude rather prohibit earlier excursions! - and might like a "blow" while I am away.....

But when I try to check out a local bands for the area that I am visiting, I find that none of them mention when and where they rehearse on their web sites! (one only has a telephone contact). Perhaps this is an oversight, so can I appeal to all webmasters to include such fundamental details of your band's rehearsals, and whether you welcome visitors or not?

Are there any other details that could perhaps be included as a common standard, such as contesting or non-contesting standard, marching or concert band etc etc? Tmpers ideas welcomed.....

alanl58... who will have an enforced break from playing.....
  2. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Hello again!:D How's the stand???

My husband does the website for our band and before starting he looked around at a few other bands websites to see what was out there and noticed the same thing. He put normal rehearsal times on the homepage and gives directions to the bandhall on a separate page. Feel free to join us if you are ever in our neck of the woods (check out the website via my set-up).

The only thing we thought is that bands might not have rehearsal times and and just a contact number because of the need to move venue (certainly our bandhall is very small) or if section practices are on instead. For example our conductor likes to split the band into horns up and baris down plus percussion on occasion and add an extra night (like top monday, bottom tuesday and thursday full band), so I suppose it doesn't do any harm to phone the contact listed just to check and save yourself an unneccessary trip.

I think my hubby hasn't done bad with our website considering its his first time doing it and he's learning as he goes, but any comments are welcomed (although not about how attractive our band is, the current photo was taken before an early rehearsal for a contest and several players were stuck on the forth bridge and I was at the hall guesting for band 1, so it looks a bit sparse.):oops:

Come to Scotland! It's not all deep fried food, Whisky and Shortbread.....Just mostly!
  3. Owen S

Owen S Member

I completely agree Alan. My biggest gripe with many websites is the triumph of style over content, particularly from the developers that seem to think Adobe Flash makes a website automatically of use. This doesn't just include band websites - our hotel in Harrogate has a website where each page takes about 5 seconds to load, yet can be read in less than that time.

Content does depend on who the band is aimed at though - I would say that the home page of band websites should be aimed primarily at the band's potential concert audience or potential concert promoters. The detail like that for potential guest or permanent players should be visible, but should really be one click away from the home page.

Where are you going on holiday? If you let us all know maybe people will reply if they are in the area you are staying and if they don't mind you coming for a blow!
    At the moment our only website is one set up years ago before the band folded and re-formed that we have no way of updating so information on there would be incorrect anyway!
  5. alanl58

alanl58 Member

I agree that our web sites should be aimed at the audience, but it does not stop there being a "visitors" or "potential new players" web page that has such fundamental details as rehearsal location, days, and times.

Worst sites are those (a bit like Mr Bernearts) where one is invited to "Click to enter" or "skip intro" - come on we have already reached your site, what we now need is a site guide!

Does anyone ever read the "intro"? I bet not! Why do it? Why should we "click to enter"? these home pages are just an irritant! get rid of them I say!

Rant (and holiday) over!

6. Dave 2nd2nd Cornet

Dave 2nd2nd Cornet Active Member

I would think that most bands would welcome players to their rehearsals, it's possibly the visitors that appear in the middle of the night that wouldn't be welcome, that's why I have chosen not to put the bandroom address on our website - better being safe than sorry.
  7. KillieBrass

KillieBrass New Member

The whole point of the website i made was to just get the name of the band out there. Currently we rarely compete and had no real advertising of any sort so people who could be coming to join couldnt since they didnt know we exist!

For that reason the website is up asap with content now being slowly added
  8. BryonySnell

BryonySnell Member

I have been doing our band website for the past 4 years and have always included on the front page the rehearsal days and times and a map to the band room. I thought most band websites did that, but perhaps not....