Your Views: Worst Band Music Currently Available

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by MrsDoyle, Aug 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

In the same vein as the 'best' thread, but what is the worst music currently available for brass band?

I'd say anything from Bernaerts. ;)
  2. flashbarry

flashbarry Member

Must have taken you ages to come up with that, another well thought out thread, has this not already been done before mods?

As I have said before Mr Bernaerts knows his market, and the audience enjoys listening to his arrangements as they add something different to the programme from the standard brass band repertoire.

On your profile you mention rude bandsman, I'd have thought you would have fitted in nicely.

3. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

How ridiculous.

Ok, his music may not be epic, original compositions, but does that make it bad? No.

Eurgh. This has wound me up to the point that I can't even write a fully thought-out reply.
  4. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

If you have one or more specific arrangements in mind that you want to discuss, go ahead. With arguments please.
    If you want to turn this thread into another "Bernaerts bashing" thread, I'm sure the thread will be closed pretty quickly. It has happened before.
  5. westoe_horn

westoe_horn Member

This Bernaerts bashing is ridiculous.

What he does produce is effective arrangements of music that 'joe public' in the park wants to listen to!

Would he say that he is the world's most gifted composer..... i suspect not.
    Would I like to play Bernaerts music all day long.... no

But what he does do is keep lower section (and those higher) supplied with up to date playable pieces and for that we should be thankful.

When I am as good a musician as people like that I will criticise. until then it sometimes better not to say anything.......
  6. MrsDoyle

OK, please notice that I used the ;-) smiley to indicate a small joke. If we're all going to undermine other people's opinions I give up.

My argument is that I dislike the way Bernaerts arranges. He provides a melody then just block chords underneath.
  7. brownrob

brownrob Member

I like a good bit of the Bernaerts stuff, but as noted above he knows his niche, though some of his stuff has been puzzling, didnt he do "hey baby, uh, ah!" man the original tune drove me bonkers! I love all that Jazz, honestly its nothing to do with me able to blow out Gs on the sop at the end!

Im only starting out, but Id love to be as successful as bernaerts someday!
  8. MrsDoyle

I've requested that this thread be closed. I've been hurt by some of the comments here.
  9. brownrob

brownrob Member

Me liking all that jazz hurt you? :p
  10. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

I have closed this thread. This type of topic usually goes bad rather quickly, as Jan H pointed out above. And this one has started to do so already.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.