Your Views on this?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by alks, Jul 24, 2006.

1. alks

alks Member

I dont only play Cornet! I also play guitar.....and over the years have enjoyed playing my favourite songs learning from ear or from guitar tabulature (tab). Guitar tab has been available over the internet for years helping you to learn your favourite songs wriiten by individulas who 'submit' their interpretation of a song in tab form. Had it not been for this its unlikely that i would have learnt to play some of my favourite songs ie. Don Mclean 'Vincent' , 'Empty chairs' or even stairway to heaven etc etc... Ive probably memorized about 30+ songs.

However, this is now under threat.....and i think will only harm peoples enjoyment of playing and potentially limit the desire to learn an instrument. The Guitar is probably one of the few instruments that everyone really has 'a go at' and for some poeple is the only instrument they ever attempt to play.

Take a look at this and you will see:

There is also this campaign:

Whether its legal or not, i think such action is harsh. What do you recon?

2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Whilst it seems a shame if players are deprived of the opportunity to learn to play their favourite songs, it seems to me that this is as much a breach of copyright as if the conventional notation had been used. Whether it is the lyrics of the songs or the tunes that go with them, the law at present provides protection for song-writers to safeguard their rights, and if this is allowed to continue it could be argued that their livelihood is at risk. Although the royalties paid may seem a relatively small amount, it does provide an ongoing income for writers, and it does mount up with the volume of sales involved.