Your three favourite brass band CD's

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ISBBBb2, Apr 3, 2006.

1. ISBBBb2

ISBBBb2 Member

So then! What are your three favourite brass band CD's and what is it about the CD's that makes them your favourite? :D
  2. 1alexm

1alexm Member

movie brass - grimethorpe collery band - cause i like film music
    best of brass - cause its cool
    blitz - cause it has my area test piece in 2004 (tom o' shanter) and cause it has jouney into freedom on it.

(sorry those are the only cd's i have.)
  3. stephen_clapton

stephen_clapton New Member

Alpha & Omega (YBS) - as the playing on there is out of this world.

Legend (Peter Roberts) - need I say any more??

Wagner (Grimethorpe) - if you have not heard it, you should....
  4. Brucey D

Brucey D New Member

is amazing
  5. jim

jim Member

Music of the spears - YBS

Golden year - Black dyke

European's '97 theres at least 3 awsome performances on there
    (Freedom-Tredegar, Epic Symphony Grimy, YBS Pagantry)
  6. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Oh tough one, Ive so many!

Classic Brass - Grimethorpe
    Essays for Brass Vol 2 - YBS
    Summon the Heros - Kirkintilloch
  7. Mofman

Mofman Member

Live! Brass in Concert 2003 & 2004 – Various
    Tales & Stories – Eikanger Bjørsvik
  8. At the moment.

ISB- Origins , simply most of my favourite SA pieces.

YBS- Cry of the celts , I like the variety of playing from the up tempo Riverdance to the fantastic Demelza.

Eden - One of my favourite test pieces and the cd has a lot of good variety , combining both very technical playing (Dyke ,Leyland etc..) with technical and fun element shown with Mnozil,Glyn Williams.
  9. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

The Complete Champions (Dyke)
    Volcano (Dyke)
    Showcase for Brass (Besses)

Classic banding, great sound, great pieces.
  10. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

My choices would be...
    Kings of Europe - YBS. The playing on it is at times staggering, and Blitz is simply one of the best live performances I've ever heard in music.
    Pines of Rome - BBS. Though Roman Festivals as an arrangement doesn't really work, the rest do, and the performances are amazing.
    Essays for Brass Volume 3 - YBS. Top notch playing, sensitive, knowledgable readings. Resurgam, however, is of another level.
  11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Since you are only covering CDs, and not albums ... my choices are as follows ...

(1) Desford (James Watson) - Robert Simpson
    - the playing is so clinical in this recording it defies belief! Really captures the essence of the composer in the most consistent way.

(2) Williams Fairey (Peter Parkes) - Works Of Berlioz
    - although not having all of the Berlioz overtures present, the band give the feeling of really enjoying playing his music and is of a fantastic standard too!

(3) Black Dyke (James Watson) - The Planets
    - Stephen Roberts arrangement of this suite is as masterful as the performance! I have no hesitation introducing non-banders to our genre with this recording.
  12. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Dedications(Soprano Solos Brian Evans) Just pure class each one
    The Essential Dyke (Vol 1) for Le Roi dY's name of house.
    The Year Of The Dragon(Fodens) such top quality playing by the band
  13. chizzum

chizzum Member

1) Black Dyke plays Greatest Movies Hits
    2) 25 Years of European Brass Band Championships
    3) Legend - Peter Roberts
  14. cujo_134

cujo_134 Member

The Enfield Collection- Enfield - There isn't a single piece on that album that I do not love
    Essays for Brass Vol. 2 - YBS - All great stuff
    Origins - ISB - Another cd of great army works
  15. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Kings Of Europe - YBS
    Brass From the Masters - Williams Fairy
    Pictures at an Exhibition - Brittania Building Society
  16. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

1 - The Planets - Black Dyke Absolutley awesome, I doubt there can be a better CD available - ever!

2 - Music of the Spheres - YBS Almost as awesome, four fabulous test pieces on the same CD

3 - Grimethorpe - Grimethorpe Great mixture of music for me, it was the first brass CD I bought, and still one of my favourites.
  17. Rach_Horn

Rach_Horn Member

Kings Of Europe - YBS ....amazing, especially Blitz!
    Music of the Spheres - YBS ....great test pieces
    YBS- Cry of the celts...great solo's
  18. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Very hard to choose, and depending on my mood the selection would probably change.

In no particular order:

1. Black Dyke - A Golden Year : This has stayed by my player since buying it at the areas and has some absolutely stunning playing. Favourite both in terms of repertoire and top quality work from both band and soloists.

2. Britannia Building Society - Pictures at an Exhibition : Always a favourite of mine, particularly for "In memoriam RK". Originally on tape, which gave up the ghost, and I was very pleased when I could pick up a cd to replace it. For a while it was hard to get hold of, but it seems more widely available at the present.

3. The Melbourne Staff Band - MSB90 : The 90th anniversary recording found the band in the peak of their form, with some fine, new repertoire including Kenneth Downie's march "Choose freedom" and Brenton Broadstock's "Meditation on Rapture", and first class solo playing in "Life Abundant" and "Variants on St Francis".
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2006
  19. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

This is a tough one !

At present , A Golden Year , Black Dyke . Great playing of superb music , must have had it on fairly constantly since picking it up a couple of weeks back.
    Music of the Spheres , YBS . This was my introduction to top quality music when I started playing again and introduced me to a repertoire that I had no knowledge of until that point.
    Kings of Europe , YBS . Tons of great stuff on there , lots of inventive writing and great performances from a band on top form.

Close runners-up would include Origins by the ISB , some real SA classics , albeit already recorded by others at times but good to have them all on one collection , Trumpets of the Angels , Dyke - I'm a big fan of Gregson and he is at his most inventive here , and Gaia symphony , BAYV - Pickard writes some cracking stuff which for me is both challenging and contemporary whilst retaining many of the best elements of the traditional brass band sound.

Also have a couple of CD's of various bands ( Grimethorpe etc) , remasters from the 70's I think of just hymn tunes . Great just to chill out to and I love the sound of a band playing hymn tunes well.
  20. sunny_jimbob

sunny_jimbob Member

I don't know about top three, but certainly the best CD I've ever heard (I say CD because I've since bought the CD, having owned the tape for years) is Black Dyke Plays Rossini. Recorded circa 1983, it's awesome, and Bill Tell is simply mind blowing!

Otherwise, Dyke's Planets as has already been mentioned, but beyond that I can't pick favourites, there's too many, but the Rossini one stands head and shoulders, and probably knees above everything else I've heard.