Your right to vote...will you use it?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Andy_Euph, May 4, 2005.

1. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

As the general election is now only 24 hours away I wonder if there is anyone who isn't going to or cannot vote tomorrow?

Personally as i'm still registered to vote back up home it seems highly unlikely that i'll be able to exercise my right to vote as its too far to travel.

Its ok though as I know Labour will win in my constituency and I was going to vote for them anyway

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Labour
    general election
    hours
    vote
    constituency
  3. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

I voted last week via postal vote. Saying that though, my vote won't count for much seeing as I live in a Tory/Labour marginal and refused to vote tactically!! ;)

I can't believe the lack of interest/understanding amongst young people with regards to politics. I think I'll be the only 1 out of 6 to vote in our house. 1 housemate is a politics student and is choosing not to vote as he doesn't fell represented, the other lad messed up his postal vote application, 2 of the girls don't care/understand and the other lass we never talk to anyway so I don't know what she's doing!

Why didn't you get a postal vote Andy? It was dead easy, I just downloaded my form off my council's website, filled it in, sent it off and they sent me my ballot papers. Dead easy!

4. ignore me

ignore me Member

Unfortunately, being in the South of France right now with an unpredictable post service, i didn't register for a postal vote. This'll be the first vote i've missed since being registered - I even voted in the Scottish and European elections!

Have to say, being registered in Robin Cooks' constituency and with him pretty certain to win, it's not going to bother me too much.

5. six pints

six pints Active Member

im only voting once, for some reason i get a vote in durham and ashington, probs something to do with council tax, but i only used one of them. didnt think it was fair to vote twice.
    (and andy, i didnt vote labour in wor area,but they def will still win! cant see the tories getting in round our area really ;) ....)

6. tinytimp

tinytimp Member

Yeah i seem to be registered at both my uni and home addresses too, but don't want to get done for fraud or anything so I'll only do it the once. :)

I don't get why people don't bother to vote - it's your chance to have a say in something that in one way or the other is going to affect you for the next 4/5 years at least. And I know so many girls - I must admit it - that can't be bothered - women have died to make sure that we can vote!

And has anybody else noticed that most of the adverts for the two main parties are 'vote for us, cos we're not the other people' :confused:

7. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I can't vote here in the UK as I am not a citizen (or what not), but I do recommend everybody that can vote does so....last fall I voted (by post) for Bush and it turned out my vote (& the missus in Ohio) made a difference...really the first time in 4 elections, but you just never know what effect your one vote will have!!!

8. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

Iv'e been in Paris the last 5 days, not a Blair, Howard or Kennedy in sight or sound..........Bliss

Sunday however was a mass of noise as we got caught up in a vote ''No'' to the EU constitution rally in Place de La Republique.

You just can't get away from this poloitics thing can you!!!

9. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

You on holiday Ian?

Did you plan to dodge the politics,or did it all happen after you planned your trip?

10. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

yup, I'm voting so are my old man and my 2 lads!

11. HBB

HBB Active Member

I'm Not...........

...... cos it would be illegal!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Labour
    general election
    hours
    vote
    constituency
  13. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

Holiday - and very nice too!!

get back to find i'm working at the count tommorrow night 10.00pm to expected finish at 3.30am and then again 9.30am Friday for the County Council elections

Lovely!

14. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

LMAO...yeah think there is more chance of hell freezing over, the earth exploding or newcastle winning a trophy than the tories EVER getting in up our way!

As for postal votes Colin mine probably is at home just aint been in contact with anyone up there in God's country for about 3 and 1/2 weeks now!

But yeah i'm also a bit shocked by the lack of interest/misunderstanding of people who just really don't know whats going on...its difficult to get a conversation out of the people i live with that doesn't include women or alcohol (altho there is nothing wrong there :p ).

Basically though I think its already a forgone conclusion that Labour has won the election but i think that they will have there majority slashed a bit...just hope the tories don't get in!! :eek:

15. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

I'm definately voting. I think if we live in a democracy everyone should vote. Can't stand people who complain about the state of the country, you then ask who they voted for and they say they didn't vote!

My constituency at Uni is Hull North, so it wont surprise you to hear as the area is full of a lot of terraced houses and council estates the Labour candidate had a 10,500 majority in 2001. So my vote probably won't count, but i'll still vote.

Gonna vote tactically, and go for Lib Dem, the party with the best chance of keeping Labour out up here.
    Can't see anything other than another Labour government for the next 4 years though. :(

16. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

I'm definitely going to be voting! Turned 18 on Saturday, so it would be a shame not to! :)

17. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

i will be voting... still turning over the idea of voting lib dem, since they're quite strong in my constituency... but i'd rather stick to what i actually believe.
    xx

18. JDH

JDH Member

I will certainly vote. Where I live it is between the Conservatives and the Liberals so will do nothing to get Blair out :(, but will do my bit anyway.

I cannot understand people that do not vote - people have died to give them that right!

19. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I sent my postal vote in the other day: as I leave the house at 5.20am, and am due at band practice on Thursday evenings (several miles away from home), the postal vote system is ideal for me. I do think there could be more safeguards, though - don't really think a relative should be an acceptable witness, for example.

20. Heather

Heather Member

I will certainly be voting.......and like others on here I can't understand the total apathy from some people in this country.
    Are they just lazy or what?

21. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Been and done it.

22. wewizrobbed

wewizrobbed Member

Went to vote while out running this morning. Got there at 6.55 and I wasn't even the first person there!! Who gets up THAT early for no reason?! :confused:

HorniKaz likes this.