Your Recommendations: Best Band Music Currently Available

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by MrsDoyle, Aug 9, 2009.

1. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

What band music for sale today would you recommend and why?
    Do you have a favourite publisher?

I would have to say I admire all of the music from small independent company Big Shiny Brass. I like the style of Matt's music and I would say it's 100 times better than some of the rubbish coming from big companies like Bernaerts these days. I would heartily recommend them to any band.

So, over to you?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Best Band Music Currently Available
    Manhatten Skyline
    Best Band Music
    Answer
    bar
  3. BariPower

BariPower Member

Not sure who is publishing it but Hunting Wabbits arranged by Robin Dewhurst played by Stavanger at brass in concert sounds awesome. Anyone know who is publishing this one ?

4. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

i've played some very good arrangements of music lately. There's an excellent arrangement of "Amazing Grace" and pieces like "Abba Goes Brass" are good. Although i think some of the older more traditional marches are great to play as well.

5. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

Edit: the Amazing Grace arrangement was by William Himes

6. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Introduction and Punk by Torstein Aaagard Nilsen was one of my favourites of the last few years.

Beetlejuice and Schindler's List are good, less obvious, film music choices.

7. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Beetlejuice and Schindler I think they are my solictors:D

8. MrsDoyle

Myself, I cannot bear most of the music from Bernaerts. The only highlights are La Camisa Negra and If Tomorrow Never Comes, but most of them are just of the block-chords-under-melody-line style. Awful.

9. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

Roger Thorne's arrangement of "Deep Harmony" is excellent

10. HaleStorm

HaleStorm Member

The Big Shiney Brass stuff is great, and Little Shiney Brass is brilliant for learner bands, I would happily recommend them to anyone, brilliant stuff

11. bvincen9

bvincen9 Member

Great baritone Solo....Roger Thorne's "Andante" from Concertino for Baritone.

A Beautiful piece .

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Best Band Music Currently Available
    Manhatten Skyline
    Best Band Music
    Answer
    bar
  13. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Just received the latest 2009-2010 CD sampler for "new" music from Bernaerts there's a very good arrangement of Born Free on there which sounds very similar to a very good arrangement we have of it here It's arranged "Frank Bernaerts" but has a lot going off in it.

14. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

A new arrangement of Born Free? Is there really any need?

15. benjaminuk

benjaminuk Member

Depends what size and ability of your band is, but one of my favourite pieces have played is Windows of the World by Peter Graham. Windows of the world inludes 6 different 'movements' all written in different styles of music from around the world. When I played Windows of The World, I had great fun in playing this fantastic piece.

16. MrsDoyle

^^^ Frank Bernaerts??!! Good??!!

17. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

yes. some of their arrangements are good. All of the ones i've played are ("All that Jazz", "Everything i do i do it for you" ect.....)

18. MrsDoyle

quite frankly I disagree. Anything bearing the name Frank Bernaerts is an abomination in my opinion!! ;-)

19. benjaminuk

benjaminuk Member

In my opinion, there is alot of Frank Bernaerts stuff thats sounds good

20. MrsDoyle

Block chords under a central melody. No arranging involved, just putting the tune in with some minims for everyone else

21. BariPower

BariPower Member

Has anyone arranged anything from Wicked yet ? Seen the show a few months back, really enjoyed it!

22. Its in hand...watch this space!!! ;-)