your instruments

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Nat, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Nat

Nat Member

I play a besson sovereign its about 5 years old and the lacker is very worn but i love it and i wouldn't swap it for the best cornet in the world its my baby, does anyone else treat their instrument like a baby??? :)
  2. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

Betcha CG has a name for hers... ;)

I play a Maestro at the moment.. not emotionally attached to it..
  3. Nat

Nat Member

anyone else???
  4. Highams

Highams Member

5. Nat

Nat Member

Dont wash them too much you will damage them!!
  6. Highams

Highams Member

Yes, you are correct.

Actually detergents can be corrosive to brass & copper, which is why the Gas companies stopped using them for leak testing !

My ideal solution is warm water with only a dash of Autogleam car wash shampoo, which is low in salt & has a defoamer.
    Followed by a rinse through with the shower hose.
  7. picju96

picju96 Member

Apparently soap flakes are good, although I don't use them myself. Just plain old Dettol and Fairy Liquid for me. My instrument has a name.
  8. frisp

frisp Member

My Bass is my baby!

That's why it's dirty and smells of *beep* :)
  9. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

Hi Nat!!!!

How's it going?

My cornet doesn't actually have a name... but my flug's called Fenella, my trumpet's called Wynton (as in Marsalis), my viola's called Vilem (after the conductor Vilem Tausky) and my violin's called Maxim (after Maxim Vengerov)!

So yes Neal, you were right!

Rach x
  10. LU-Brasser

LU-Brasser Member

I play a Shilke Sop. It does not have a name, but a certain emotional relationship exists because it goes with me through good and bad times.... :wink:
  11. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

I play a mestro cornet at the mo and it aint silver so I'm gutted. Played a silver soverign before that and I play on a yahama sop - its terrible tried my mates old sop and it was fab, my soverign horn was the best. Got a few other instruments like a yahama alto sax, yamaha clarinet in wood and a korg keyboard, a bach flute and a conservatoire violin. Ive got a very old yamaha electone organ with pedals and stuff also so I guess yamaha kinda rules in my household!

maybe we could have a poll to see who owns the most instruments?! and a poll to see what make is the best? 8)
  12. hornblower

hornblower Member

i was very attached to my French horn I played at school he was called Cedric and I miss him...don't know what happened to all the instruments after they stopped giving free lessions in the authority...

I'm not attached to my current tenor horn as it belongs to the band! I have a tenor horn in desperate need of fixing I found in a clearance, all the valves are rusty, and not sure how good it could be if it was fixed up! I'm saving the pennies to be able to buy my own instrument...slowly...need a better paid job! :cry:
  13. twigglet

twigglet Member

It pains me to see one of our junior band learning on my first ever cornet, how can we be so attached to some metal tubes!!!

I hated my current cornet when i got it but 6 years later it feels like an extension to my lips, and i'll go mad when they take it off me when i go to uni in september..........NOOOOOOOO!

But I have never named my instrument, anybody have any suggestions for a suitable name for a gold sovereign cornet? We could give it a christening :p
  14. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

I reckon "Neal" is a great name.. ;)
  15. twigglet

twigglet Member

Is that being slighlty biased by any chance!! But yes ....neal is a great name. :lol:
  16. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

Larry Sinclair in the North is a really good instrument repairer and he has good rates of charge. you can find a link to his site on ever readys website. in my signature

might b worth letting him do up your old horn and get it used again :eek: :eek:
  17. groovy

groovy Active Member

I was very attached to my old instrument - I called it Wesley. Now some 10 year ols is blasting away on it. :cry:
    The euph I have now doesn't have a name, I was too upset after losing Wesley to give it one. Come to think of it the trom doesn't have a name either.
    I think maybe
    Esmerelda for the euph and
    Archibald for the trom.

Twigglet, how about Baldrick for your cornet? :wink:
    I love weird names! :D :D
  18. HBB

HBB Active Member

I no ......

Fred for the Cornet,
    and Bob for the Horn ........

nah, wait ..... I can do loadz better than that!! .....

erm ..........

Gwynelena for my Horn and

Jayaul for my Cornet!!

How cool are they!! :D:D:D

Ben ;)
  19. twigglet

twigglet Member

I do like Baldrick that is a good idea! That name is winning so far, although I don't know why but I asume my cornet to be female, basses and trombones I think would be male, but cornets, horns, baritones and euphoniums i think would be female.

Not very Politically Correct am I.......... oooooo sexism is alive and kicking!

So any good FEMALE names for my ickle cornet
    :?: :?: :?:
  20. frisp

frisp Member

I apologise for that one-too much drink in Blackpool topped up straight off the boat!

Sod PC, think and say what you want-I don't think ascribing gender characteristics to your instrument (oo-er Matron) is sexist anyway, although for my money a euph, which could easily be viewed as a baby bass, is male.