Your Ideal Mixed Grill

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by ian perks, Apr 26, 2008.

1. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

As you all know im a Butcher by trade and now and again ask a few questions about the meat trade here is one for you to put your opinions to:
    When you go to a pub and have a mixed grill what would you call a good sized mixed grill.
    The biggest one we do
    4 oz Rump Steak
    5 oz Gammon steak
    2x3 oz Lamb chops
    2 x3 oz Pork Steaks
    6oz Cumberland Sausage
    Slice of Black Pudding
    Piece of Lambs Liver
    1 Lambs Kidney

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    leisa
    wink
    toast
    beans
  3. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

I wouldn't call that a 'good' sized mixed grill. I'd call it a heart attack waiting to happen:eek:
    I suspect you also forgot a couple of fried eggs on there too. (and the salad garnish)

As an aside - why don't we eat cows liver in this country? only lamb and pigs liver.

4. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

A hearty meal to be enjoyed in preperation for a long night of beer consumption. I cant think of anything better

5. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Ah the good old mixed grill, my ideal would be:-

1 Ian Perks rump
    1 Mike Lyons shank
    1 Chunky pork loin
    1 Bb Bill Cambletown sausage
    1 Blossom meat prawn
    1 Killer whale
    A nice Dyl Garnish and turn the heat up high :wink:

6. leisa

leisa Active Member

I thought a mixed grill was like, sausages, bacon, eggs, hash brown, beans, toast....wetherspoons style :biggrin:

7. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

This is not a thread to read when thinking about breakfast - am now REALLY hungry, lol

Purely personally the first list sounds near enough perfect (although am not a great fan of liver or kidney, so would rmemove them) with the addition of a couple of eggs and a pile of toast (beans optional).

One thing I do like is getting the meat straight from the farmers - I love Farmer's Markets - the prices might be a little higher, but the quality is simply stunning.
    Support your local producers

8. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Well from the list I'd lose the liver, black pudding and kidneys, and add a couple of fried eggs and mushrooms. Oh and make the steak bigger.

9. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

I had some ox liver the other week, the bile ducts are that bit bigger and take a bit more chewing than with pig or lambs livers. I don't know about you, but after I'd eaten all that I'd never have room for the salad garnish;).

10. A bingo wings winner ... Bring on the dabbers!

11. sooze booze

sooze booze Member

Sounds like a day off work to me! :eek: Quite offal!! (Sorry).

It's not a mixed grill, I know but a trombone playing friend of mine told me about a culinary delight he samples from a pub somewhere "up North", I can't remember where exactly but this is what he raves about and I can see why - a piece of medium cooked steak covered in slices of black pudding, smothered in Wensleydale cheese and grilled!!!!!!!!!!!
    Phwoar! :clap: I can almost taste it, of course, a pint of bitter on the side is
    compulsory.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    leisa
    wink
    toast
    beans
  13. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

You could drink yal after that load?....it sounds great to me Ian...but afterwards would be brandy and a lie down.

Farmer's Markets are definitely the dog's...we recently stocked the freezer with Aberdeen Angus...not over the top price-wise, but...the quality!!!!...and they leave a decent bit of fat on the steaks....ooooh...I'm sorry...got to go back to the hotel.

Sud.

(A pint to the saddo who recognises the hotel quote...to be redeemed at the Whits.)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  14. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

and you really can't beat a nice ham shank.

sry mods....bit tiddled.

15. HaleStorm

HaleStorm Member

Most amazing MIxed grill = Mammoth Mixed grill from the Strines Inn, up near lady bower resevoir.

1 x lamb chop
    1 x pork fillet
    1 x 5oz gammon steak
    1 x 5oz fillet steak
    2 x super pork sausages (9inch long 2 in round)
    1 x piece of kidney
    1 x piece of liver
    2 x fried egg
    2 x pineapple ring
    1 x bucket load of chips
    1 x little jug of amazing steak sauce
    1 x side of the traditional rabbit food garnish

16. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

Me too...though I don't know that I would make the steak bigger!!

17. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

2 Cumberland Sausages
    2 Pork & apple Sausages
    3 rashers of Bacon
    2 lamb chops
    2 pieces of liver
    3 pieces of Beef
    4 pieces of chicken
    3 pork fillets
    2 Fried eggs
    3 pineapple rings
    2 gammon steaks
    A tub of chips
    Barbecue sauce
    Endless supply of coke

oh and chocolate fudge cake for dessert

you see, this dieting larks easy

18. HaleStorm

HaleStorm Member

chocolate fudge cake? are you mad? everybody knows the follow up to that kinda meal is blatently Toffee Cheese Cake!!

19. Masterblaster jnr

oh no Mr.Hale, surely you are mistaken.

anyway, i would have any dessert which was thrust on my plate. You should know that from the Thurlstone Band dinners we have shared together :p :p :p

20. HaleStorm

HaleStorm Member

ah yes, the legend that is the band dinner. but thats nothing compared to what i normally eat during the day, gotta love getting your dinner free at work everyday :D:D

21. Masterblaster jnr

Lucky you

Our school offer a (wait for it).........Healthy, Balanced meal to all students on the meal option i have.

Now, correct me if i'm wrong, but on friday we had Burger, beans and chips and yesterday had Curry, onion Bhaji and naan bread.

Healthy?

22. HaleStorm

HaleStorm Member

it depends how its cooked, what the ingrediants are, if they add anything extra, if a burger is pure meat its pretty healthy, its when they start adding in the extra garbage thats kicks to the unhealthy side, and everything in moderation is good anyway.

I wonder whats for dinner today :p