Your first ever contest piece?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ukdrummerboy, Feb 21, 2004.

1. cornetshell

cornetshell Member

Sinfonietta Pastorale, Henry Gheel - 2001, Rep with Wellington (Telford) Brass Band...I had not long been introduced to brass bands from an orchestral start in life!!

:)

2. Matt Lawson

Matt Lawson Member

Likewise - although I didn't play at the area contest on this one. The band won though - and the National Finals in Preston (2001) was my first ever contest! The piece was Attleborough Suite by Malcolm Arnold.

3. wittig

wittig Member

Sword, Jewel and Mirror - Harper (I think) 2nd section Scottish 2000.

4. Toxophile

Toxophile Member

5. repiano83

repiano83 New Member

Vizcaya, Gilbert Vinter, Swiss Nationals 1999 2.Section

6. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

Little Suite for Band by Malcolm Arnold....I still love it now, and had the 2nd movement at my wedding! lol! Makes the hair stick up on the back of my neck (attractive!). :)

7. Paddy Flower

Paddy Flower Active Member

Prisms (Peter Graham)

not gonna say where and when I played it and there is already an entire thread out there dedicated to trying to establish my identity...

(I've said too much)

8. wildthing

wildthing New Member

Little Suite No 2. Malcolm Arnold Albert Hall in Nottingham 1968.
    Oh what an old fart I am!!!

9. catto09

catto09 Member

First one I played out was New World Sketches - Dan Price, 2009, Scottish Champs.

10. JCampbell

JCampbell New Member

Remember it well

Mine was Salute to Youth - Gilbert Vinter, 1962 scottish championships remember it well we won.

11. Rimesey

Rimesey New Member

Excelsior, Howard Snell. 3rd section, North Wales area, 2006

12. sopsarah

sopsarah New Member

Salford Sinfonietta- Soprano Cornet 2008- Fife Charities Contest- Bon Accord B

13. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

'Prometheus unbound' - WD&HO Wills Area qualifier, I think 1973, with Pressed Steel Fisher Band (Castle Bromwich).
    The Finals piece was 'Force of Destiny' - championship Section!

Those were the days!:wink:

14. micah

micah New Member

isiah 40

15. Coverhead

Coverhead Member

Main Street (Eric Ball)
    1999 3rd Section Midlands Area (15th!) - Assistant to the Assistant 3rd Cornet!

I practiced so hard, I can still play most of it from memory!!

16. Dave in Florida

Dave in Florida New Member

Hinemoa by Gareth Wood was our band's first test piece and we butchered it. But that was long ago.

17. bbbluey

bbbluey Member

Malcolm Arnold's Little Suite For Brass... 1968 i think??!! section 4 National Finals in London. I remember my dad going back to the hotel to "rescue" Fred Eastwood the BBb player's playing dentures from the chamber maid..who was about to flush them down the loo... as he kept them wrapped in toilet tissue!!

18. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

showing your age Graham!

19. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

Have been playing for 42 years and have never contested, So my First ever contest piece will be the next one I play (If ever I get around to it)!

20. TrumpetTom

TrumpetTom Member

My first test piece I played in a contest would have been at holmfirth contest in 2006 when I was 11 with the honking hedgers. I can't remember the name of the piece, but it had somthing to do with mountain xymoids!!! The second test piece I did at a contest would have been Paganini variations with hade edge at buxton contest in 2007 when I was 12.