Your first ever contest piece?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ukdrummerboy, Feb 21, 2004.

1. BrassFlyer

BrassFlyer Member

Blimey this will take me back....think the piece was called Lorenzo in the Colston Hall Bristol. Think it was the 3rd Section of the Regionals, no idea who composed it does anyone know? Or have I got the name wrong!

2. tuba1974

tuba1974 Member

My Ist contest was at st georges hall bradford I think in 1974 with the hebden bridge junior band The piece of music was called ceramic city festival I think wakefield schools won with a very young duncan beckley playing eeb bass

3. davetubaking

davetubaking Member

Do you know, I can't remember - the first test piece I played with an adult band was James Cook Circumnavigator with Aldershot Brass Ensemble - early 80's. Still one of my favourite pieces.

4. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Mine was The Land of the Long White Cloud, if I remember correctly. Still think it's an amazing piece :)

5. jack1993jack

jack1993jack New Member

I remember playing the howitzer and the impressario at the national youth championships with chorley silver band :) The other two pieces we did, I cant remember :)) we won a bronze award as I recall :D

6. Elvis

Elvis New Member

Lorenzo was written by Thomas Keighley. It was used as test piece for the Open in 1928, 1942 & 1964.

I played it in the Grand Shield in 1971 and my band won :clap:

7. Corneto

Corneto New Member

The Attelborough sweet at Pontins.. I think :)

8. vulcan

vulcan New Member

Mine was "The Yorkshire Ridings Suite" With the Hayes and Harlington Silver Band at Reading in the early 60s.

9. vulcan

vulcan New Member

The Yorkshire Ridings Suite at Reading contest in the early 60s. Lovely piece.

10. $hytalk

$hytalk Member

Beethoven - themes from symphony No.1, Rochdale contest, 1972 I think!

11. Frontman

Frontman Member

Academic Festival Overture, 1959. Haslingden Contest.

Gosh I feel old now???????

12. John_D

John_D Member

Indian Summer for me as well - 4th Section at the Tetleys contest in leeds back in the 80s

13. RobBari

RobBari Member

I played this with Tredegar Junior Band in Swansea. Wone the area and then went on to win the Butlins Championship in the Albert Hall. great times

14. RobBari

RobBari Member

1st test piece was i think "Passing Moods", with Tredegar Junior Band circa 1972 at Ebbw Vale contest.

15. Taggart

Taggart New Member

First regional test piece for me was 'The Beacons' at the Scottish championships in 1990.

16. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

A la Wayfarer, Gaiamente? ;)

17. Flugette

Flugette New Member

Folk Song Heritage by Michael Kenyon
    Ebbw Vale contest
    2nd cornet for Pontarddulais Band
    1st prize!

18. gee123

gee123 New Member

Saint-Saens Variations - Phillip Sparke :D

19. VB17c

VB17c New Member

Force of Destiny - Verdi
    With the Mossley band. Belle Vue Manchester 1971

20. Aurora771

Aurora771 Member

First ever contest piece: Celestial Prospect.

I had no idea what Regionals were and it was my first year seeing the Brass Band 'world'. I'm just glad the Euph part wasn't particularly challenging or I might've ran! Tough break for cornets in that piece.

Anyway, I still listen to it every now and again. Does anyone else listen to recordings of test pieces and remember your own rehersals from the time? I remember snippets from what the MD used to say etc.