Your first ever contest piece?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ukdrummerboy, Feb 21, 2004.

1. euphsrock

euphsrock Member

Spectrum - Vinter,
    I think it was at the Wessex Contest, with Ocean Brass

2. Eziachco

Eziachco New Member

Excalibur by Jan Van der Roost but we've never played it in contest or concert since we didn't succeed to play it entirely...
    So if you think of the first test piece played in contest I have 3, cause here in France we have a set piece and we have to play a half an hour program. So mine was : Ancient Monument (Bertrand Moren), Toccata Festiva (Jan Van der Roost) and Variations on Laudate Dominum (Edward Gregson). It was at the 2006 France National Championship in the 3rd division. Not a very succesful choice...

3. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

Would be Prelude and Jubilate (Darrol Barry) at 2007 (?) 3rd section areas with Elland :D What a great piece that was!!!! Loved playing it

4. Cornet_Matt

Cornet_Matt Member

I played 'Between the Moon and Mexico' by Philip Sparke at Fleetwood, followed by 'Blitz' by Derek Bourgeois at Pontins in 2006, both on third cornet :)

5. iancwilx

iancwilx Well-Known Member

6. Elliebone

Elliebone Member

Hungarian Rhapsody in Bradford - maybe 1976?? We were a disaster and I was very, very young!

7. honey bun

honey bun Active Member

Was that with Sussex Brass and Tim Lord?

8. Snowdon Fantasy with Newbiggin Welfare Band at CISWO finals in Blackpool, late 80's conducted by George Rowell

9. Souter

Souter Member

New World Symphony with Selkirk Silver Band 1980 Usher Hall Edinburgh - Contest Edinburgh Charities.
    We were bottom of the fourth section at the time and the band drew something like 47 out of 48 but had to be at the draw at 8AM in the morning. By the time we played (way past my bedtime as I was only 9!!) the senior members had consumed copious amounts of alcohol to the extent that the Bass Trombone player slid off his chair (you know who you are - DAD!!!!!) during the performance.

I remember the repercussions well - as the band at the time was evenly split between senior members and junior members, us juniors all signed a petition and handed it in to the committee demanding that the band take a more professional approach to contesting and lo and behold we shot up the sections after that.

10. iancwilx

11. adrian90s

adrian90s Member

Yes Honey Bun,

The infamous Tim Lord

12. Hovrebo

Hovrebo New Member

Haselmere Suite, Peter Graham :)
    2nd section

13. tgfoxley

tgfoxley Member

"Divertimento" - Kelly
    4th section 2005

14. jennyt125

jennyt125 Member

Four Little Maids by Alan Carr, don't think i've heard it since!
    Played in the 4th section, Cornwall BBA contest in 1995, I remember we only had 18 players and came second.

15. tubadaz

tubadaz Member

The first contest I ever played in was on 3rd Cornet in an entertainment contest in Kingston-upon-Hull Town Hall in September 1984 with the York Railway Institute Band. I can't remember our programme, but the set piece for all the bands was the Third Movement, Con Brio, of the Sinfonietta for Brass Band by Joseph Horovitz. :D
    There was a bit in there that none of the 2nd and 3rd Cornets could play. The conductor said he'd buy us all a drink (each! :sup) if we played it right on the day! We all duly played it perfectly!! :D

Darryl

16. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

I never thought of offering you beer! Doh!

I started on the contest stage at Hardraw Scar, with Rothwell Temperance band, aged 11. The band, just starting out contesting in the 4th section under the baton of Glyn Kersley, Sadly no idea what it was we played . . .

17. Kinrao

Kinrao Member

Mine was Little Suite in F by Holst.

It was the 4th Section National piece in 1984 at the RAH, my only recollection was marvelling at the mushrooms in the ceiling! Couldn't have been the best contribution by a 3rd cornet on the day!

18. iancwilx

John Carr I think. (Denis's Dad !)

19. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

The camp bloke from Channel 4? :eek:

I'm all in favour of new compositional talent, but... ;):biggrin:

20. Steph<3Horn

Steph<3Horn New Member

My first contest was the 4th section national finals in 2006 (i think that was the year anyway!!) in Harrogate. I played with Amington band but i was on percussion..playing the bongos! The piece was called Valerius Variations bye Philip Sparke :) It was a really fun piece!