Your favourite self penned moment

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Will the Sec, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

OK, folks, I touched on this in the "Powerful Brass Moments" thread.

Which of pieces that you wrote
    1. Are you proudest of
    2. has a section that makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up?
    The pieces don't have to be well known - but if you have them in MP3 form on a web site so fellow tMPers can see if they concur!

(Sibelius qualified composers are welcome to contribute to the thread, but people who come under the banner of "everybody in my area knows me, so everyone in the country should" are not. Light bulb changers need not apply.):rolleyes:

I'm keen to know!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2006
  2. tim

tim Member

Id like to nominate HBB to post his wind trio. Some truly inspired music there!

3. HBB

HBB Active Member

of Tim's: It's gotta be Extreme Measures - really love it - especially the more jazzier bits (he'll probably hate me for saying that).

Edit: Code deleted! RT

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2006
  4. ratley

ratley Member

Wot??!!:confused:

xxx

5. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Well I'm relatively pleased with a fanfare that I sort of wrote (it was loosely based on another tune, which I'm awaiting copyright clearance for, but I'll say no more than that. Hasn't been performed yet!)

Still, amongst what is a marvellous all round piece, I'll nominate the end of HBB's Repton Fantasy which is absolutely spine tingling, even on Scorch playback! ;)

6. HBB

HBB Active Member

Awww, Kay - don't worry! Shouldn't you be practising your semis for the start of Voyage :p

7. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

Of the pieces I've written, I'd say a major work I wrote for orchestra called Revelation is what I'm most proud of. Certainly at the performance with most of the orchestra heaving things like all the percussion and the organ going in, I couldn't believe I'd written it.
    Another personal highlight would be hearing a woodwind trio of mine played at the Barbican in London.
    One piece I'm also very pleased with is my (as yet unperformed) transcription of the complete 3rd Symphony by Saint Saens for organ and brass band. It's not like the other arrangements as it has a non optional organ part, and it's playable (ok you need quite a bit of stamina!). So far, however, it remains in Sibelius form only. :cry:

8. Yoofman

Yoofman Member

Wot?!!! :confused:

Oh - BTW - yes she is practising the semis - you know how grumpy she gets!!!

Air is VERY blue on a regular basis ...

Anyone would think that Voyage would be won and lost on the first 16 bars ...!

9. HBB

HBB Active Member

Hehe, barrell of laughs in your house then eh Steve! At least you don' thave all those whoops! :eek: !

10. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

hmmm although im not a composer, i come under the "Sibelius qualified compose" bracket!

I wrote this little fanfare for our youth band, and was ever so proud to hear them play it at our christmas concert

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    self
    U
    tMPers
    B
    back
  12. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Don't worry, HBB has found a new toy!

13. BeatTheSheep

BeatTheSheep Member

eh? have I offended someone?

14. Di

Di Active Member

Not at all. ;) See post above. Ben is using a bit of code which adds the name of the person reading the post. There is a whole thread of jolly japes using this tool here.

15. HBB

HBB Active Member

Awww - sorry! Thought it'd be funny, but I bet Will shouts at me for ruining his thread!

16. BeatTheSheep

BeatTheSheep Member

oh, right. thought someone had walked on my grave

17. HBB

HBB Active Member

Nah, sorry! :eek: :oops: - Consider me told off by the Mumsie! :)

18. BeatTheSheep

BeatTheSheep Member

actually, I have a self penned moment, which proves that I'm old because I struggled to remember it. I wrote a piece called Musings with an evocative 2nd movement written after a fellow banders' funeral. We (that is = YBS) used it at the dutch open gala concert in what was probably 1997 I'm guessing and dedicated it to a horn player from Oenkerk Band who had died in a tragic accident.

It was announced ( in dutch ) and we played it, to stunned silence. They had told the audience to have a silent moment afterwards. One of the most weird feelings ever, but did make me proud that my music had caused such a feeling

19. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I have a couple of pieces... both test pieces (lots of percussion, u know...)

One, Esplanade, which I started in my final year of uni last year and was happy to finally finish it in November, sadly that was after my 3rd year (was going to use it for my portfolio) as I had great feedback from my uni tutors, however, it will be used for my MA portfolio instead!...

The second, Conjunctions, which is unfinished, but it has some good moments in it... already have a band abroad who wants to use it for a contest, so, if that happens that will be smashing... just need to finish it... !!!

I'll get an MP3 of Esplanade up on my site when I find the file and publish the piece..... so errrr, keep watching from time to time... when Conjunctions is published, you'll see a post in Classified Ads.

20. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

I'm afraid that my compositions have taken a back seat, as I am known more as an arranger. My favourite 'self penned' composition started life on a a Roland D20 coupled with a Roland M32 sequencer recorded on a Steinberg PRO24 programme on an ATARI 1040ST. "LES ALIGNEMENTS" was composed for a Feature Video about a line of prehistoric stones in Carnac, Brittany. I did score it for a Youth Orchestra concert, and have since scored it for brass band, although I don't think it will ever see the light of day in this medium, unless a band want to play something ambient and minimalistic. I cannot put it on Sibelius as I am on Finale. As for MP3, I'm afraid that this technology has not yet visited my household - not that it is not available on Finale, it is just that I 'C.B.A.' to work it out. :biggrin:

21. BeatTheSheep

BeatTheSheep Member

work it out - it's miles faster, and the act of transcribing it will mean you work out how to use the program anyway. I used a program called encore, and saved all the music as midi files, and loaded them up into Sibelius that way. Not perfect, but better than reentering every note

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    self
    U
    tMPers
    B
    back