Your Collection

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Ryan06, Jan 6, 2007.

1. Ryan06

Ryan06 Member

Lets have a little fun and list our collection of banding cds. Here is mine!
    Salvation Army Bands
    New York Staff Band
    Under Three Flags
    Blazing Brass
    Tour De Force
    Star Lake Premieres
    God And Country
    International Staff Band
    Live in New York
    Bernard Adams Collection
    Christmas Tidings

Canadian Staff Band
    To Worship
    Spirit of the Pioneers
    Sweet By and By

Amsterdam Staff Band
    Rejoice! The Lord is King
    The Rising Of the Son

Bristol Easton Band
    New Frontier

Chicago Staff Band
    Mainstream Message

Enfield Citadel Band

Meadowlands Corps Band
    Battle Cry
    Norwich Citadel Band

British Bands

Buy As You View Band
    Day of the Dragon
    Echoes of the East
    Brighouse & Rastrick Band
    Brighouse Rocks
    On A world Tour
    Floral Dance
    Fairy (MP) Band
    Kirkintilloch Band
    Angels & Demons
    Summon the Heroes
    Leyland Band
    By Arrangment
    Black Dyke Band
    The Golden Swing
    A Golden Year
    Black Dyke Plays Beatles
    Plays Verdi
    Greatist Movie Hits

Thats what I have now but my collection keeps on expanding every month.
  2. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

I couldn't list all of mine. I have way too many.
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Same here - even to list the various bands and soloists, without the individual recordings (on lp, tape & cd) would take up far too much space. For example there are about 60 featuring the ISB, 30 with the NYSB, 50 by Black Dyke, BAYV - 12; YBS - 15 etc.

Needless to say, many, and particularly some of the earlier issues, have been snapped up on ebay or from other second-hand sources.
  4. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Peter, have you archived any of this vast collection to either PC or an iPod? You ought to consider doing this in the event of damage etc.
  5. Ryan06

Ryan06 Member

agreed...As soon as my cds come in the mail, I rip them to computer,load them on my Ipod and put the CD in storage. I want to keep them in mint condition.
  6. TheMusicMan

If you treasure your collection then you are right to do this Ryan. Riping to PC is now even easier as I have seen several USB type turntables on the market for around the £100 mark. These also come with appropriate software that makes even archiving vinyl straightforward.

7. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

And, still in the absence of a fair use policy in the UK, technically illegal :rolleyes: :hammer
  8. TheMusicMan

Hmmm... I thought some legislation was recently passed Keith that now permitted people to do this ? I mean literally within the last weeks?

Is that not the case?

EDIT: I see it is still technically illegal but according to this article the BPI (body who police copyright theft on behalf of record labels) won't prosecute people who place their music onto MP3 players etc.

See theRegister Article here
  9. IckleSop

IckleSop Active Member

nothing illegal about using it for personal useage!!!
  10. KMJ Recordings

Dunno - possibly - I've had my head in the sand for a couple of months.

Edit: I know there were changes on the cards, but not when they were going to be passed....
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2007
  11. KMJ Recordings

Er, only if John's correct and legislation has changed. In the absence of a fair use policy it is illegal to transfer the audio onto any other medium from which it was supplied - it's not something I agree with, but unfortunately true.
  12. TheMusicMan

I was wrong Becki - it is illegal... see my post above. You cannot legally do this with your own music, but the body who policies this have stated publicly that they won't prosecute anyone who does do this.
  13. KMJ Recordings

Ah, spot my judicious use of italics, then :D
  14. IckleSop

IckleSop Active Member

you cant cough without getting prosecuted these days!!!!!
  15. hmm my brass band cd collection............
    the recording of us playing in switzerland......
  16. SWITZERLANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNND!!!!!!!!!! Send me back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  17. Ryan06

Ryan06 Member

How is it illegal by making back up copies of the cds you own? I dont get that...
  18. KMJ Recordings

Things may be different Down Under (it is in the States), but in the UK there is no such thing as a "Fair Use" policy when relating to copyright. In essence what this means is that technically you're supposed to buy a different copy for every medium you store it on - when you buy a CD, you're really only buying a licence to listen to it and you need to buy similar licences to put it on an iPod or hard drive on a PC.
  19. Ryan06

Ryan06 Member

ouch...they like to rip you guys off over there dont they? over here in NA, you only have to buy a CD/DVD once...and you can burn it to a blank cd or to your Ipod for your personal use.
  20. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- wasn't there a recent change in Canadian law that puts part of the copyright costs into the price of blank media to cover personal copying?