Your claims to fame

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Getzonica, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

So, what are your claims to fame?

One of mine would be breaking a world record in 2004 because my balloon travelled 7000 miles or so but I can't remember the exact figure as it was so long ago! (Unfortunately because of the number of people who cheat trying to break this record I'm not in the Guiness Book of World Records even though mine was genuine!)
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  2. 4thmandown

4thmandown Member

I had Tony Hadley drop two catches off my bowling in a cricket match way back in 1993. He made up for it by buying me copious volumes of beer afterwards.
  3. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

I once nearly crippled Chris Tarrant at a charity do. I was holding a red and white pole and letting a couple of people at a time go up some stairs to a desk where he was signing autographs. He suddenly decided he wanted the bathroom and tried to gate vault the pole I was holding , thinking it was a permanent structure. I let go of the pole and sent him sprawling down the stairs.
  4. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

I was one of the players that appeared on BBC TV"Flog It" with the world famous Burbage Band.
  5. Kjata

Kjata Member

I'm me?!?! ;)
  6. Stickman 09

Stickman 09 Member

I am one of the 6.7 billion people on the earth... That any good?
  7. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

8. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

1) I am an intercontinental band tart
    2) I produced the first baritone CD (there may have been a cassette or album before...not sure)
    3) I've played in the largest brass band in the world

Hope those count
  9. bbg

bbg Member

My good lady and I have lunched with The Queen...............along with the other 200 or so folks in the room 'way back in 1987, when Her Maj "officially opened" the Head Office of the Bank I worked for at the time.

Other than that - boring really - done a couple of Christmas Concerts (with Carlisle Citadel SA in the late 80s) with Maddy Prior from Steeleye Span - famous enough?
  10. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Keira Knightley and Jason Statham drink in my local from time to time as does the bloke that plays Robin Hood in the new version. Terry Jones ( Monty Python ) bought my mate and I a pint in there too one night , and the late and much missed John Peel also regularly drank there as well. Come to think of it , so has BBCBass on a few occasions !! :)

Was at a formal do on Sat night and Chelsea FC were in the room next door.
  11. Chelsea FC being in the room next door is sufficient reason to torch the place :)
  12. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

I once set The Queen's video to record a programme for her Mum. Both of us kneeling on the floor in front of it. :)

And Princess Anne kept filling my bowl up with Strawberries at a function.

I could write a book.
  13. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Singing at the Royal Albert Dock in East London in 1988 with a French musician, whose Destination was Docklands, and was looking for Oxygene, using absestos gloves and a laser harp.

For our younger viewers click here for bio
  14. tubadaz

tubadaz Member

Blimey! I was at that concert!!! :D (And I've still got the T-Shirt!!) :clap:

Claim to Fame:

I played live on "Blue Peter" as a member of the City of York Scout Band!

15. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

I sang both nights, the first was so wet and windy that the London Fire Brigade would not allow the floating stage to leave the dockside. Luckily on the second night we moved about 50 yds out into the middle of the dock, just about where City Airport is now. One of the wierdest gigs, soudwise, I haev ever done. We were singing and heard ourselves about 1.5 seconds later, duie to the speakers being over a mile away :confused:
  16. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Being on Braniac ....

And subsequently starting an argument about concert pitch on YouTube!!
  17. Kjata

Kjata Member

Have you got a clip of brainaic, if so please please can i watch it??? :D
  18. MrBb

MrBb Member

Class winning Rally Driver. Not band related but hey ho :)
  19. Columbo

Columbo Member

Was on first name terms with the late Roy Castle (a true gent) and once bumped into Debbie Harry whilst at the nationals in London in the 90's (for those I've never told!) which shattered my long standing admiration of the once sultry singer! (not to mention my heart of glass! LOL!)
  20. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

I played 'The Cavalier', live on 'Nationwide', in the old Tom Coyne days.
    Won a car on 'Bullseye', with my brother-in-law.
    Appeared on 'Blankety-Blank', with the wonderful Les Dawson.
    In the heady days 0f the late 80s-early 90s, Amington Band was recognised by the local media and we had a lovely appearance on 'Central News', where my quote of "One big happy family", was taken the p' out of, for months!
    I was also among the players at Snibston and Desford, that appeared on the 6 part series 'The Real Brassed Off', a spectaclar Sunday evening must-watch!

Apart from that, I am now famous for not being able to find a solo-euph position for 18 months!!!