Your chance to develop the future of tMP

Discussion in 'tMP Site News & Suggestions' started by Chunky, Mar 4, 2008.

1. JonP

JonP Member

Ah we cant ignore mods or Admins. So I cant ignore you John. Funny that!

2. JonP

JonP Member

So i should not be allowed posts unless you agree or like them then? Thats not really on is it.

3. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

Yipee, the ignore button really works!

4. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Yes Geoff, but as I stated its only one of the ways. Not the only way!;)

5. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Yes certainly, asking for ways in which everyone feels tMP can be improved is the subject of this thread, but I think Ian was suggesting that permitting trolling is not one of the ways tMP can be improved. :)

Keep 'em coming.

6. TheMusicMan

Unfortunately though Jon, it's the same for me. Admins and Mods can't really add users to their ignore lists as, it would defeat the object of rules and guidelines to moderate what is posted.

Alas, I must suffer yours as you must suffer mine. :biggrin:

7. The Wherryman

Which is why I asked the question at #275 - but I still don't know the answer.

8. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

As I stated none of us want trolls, but its not the only thing that people may want to improve. John provided the way in which you can ignore posts from perceived Trolls. Just because people provoke debate and have argumentative tendancies imo does not mean they have to be ignored!

The answer is every member can chose to ignore other members all I wanted to do was steer this away from becoming a thread about one individual.

9. The Wherryman

You're making an inaccurate assumption here. A post was made reminding people of the "ignore" facility. Without bringing personalities into it, I queried whether the ignored poster was aware that he/she was being ignored and by whom. This is a technical enquiry not a personal one.

I presume the moderators and/or site owner would know the answer to that and I simply would like to know what it is.

10. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

I'm sorry, but I don't know the answer to this. Maybe Jon can tell us? ;)

11. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

I don't believe that the ignored person knows that he/she is being ignored - before I was a mod, I had occasion to use this feature, and I'm fairly certain that the targeted user did not know that I had ignored him.

The feature has to do with the way that threads are perceived by each individual user - so, if you ignore me, you won't see my posts. Any of my posts. However, everyone who has NOT ignored me will still see my posts.

I would not want someone that I ignored to know that I ignored them, for the simple fact that they could then post anything they wanted to about me, and I would not see those posts.

12. TheMusicMan

Actually, I don't know the answer to that one, but I suspect not. Sorry I missed this.

13. JonP

JonP Member

Fair enough. To be honest mate it would be boring without you. xxx

14. JonP

JonP Member

This is excellent. So mow werryman cant see what im saying, i can say what in like about him and he will make no defence! Excellent!! What a great idea!!

15. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

other people might

16. The Wherryman

Thank you.

Would I be able to see the posts you had made while I was ignoring you if I later "un-ignored" you? I suppose I could find out by trial and error, but I wouldn't want to miss anything if the ignored posts are permanently lost.

17. JonP

JonP Member

No idea that he was ignoring me, but glad if he is because he wont reply to me. Lol

18. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Yes. It acts like a kind of "personal filter" so that you can see that the ignoree has posted something, but not what it is (unless it is subsequently quoted by someone else); however the posts are still there. If you remove the filter by un-ignoring, the posts are revealed to you in all their glory.

19. The Wherryman

Thanks for all the replies - greatly appreciated. I don't like pushing buttons when I don't know what might happen :eek:

20. Di

Di Active Member

I have an account, specifically for testing purposes only, which is not a moderator account.

I have used this and just added you to my "ignored users" list.

As far as I know, it's an "either on or off" function. In fact, it's better than that. Here is a screenshot of what I see now you are "ignored".

ignore.jpg

Your username appears, showing you've made a post and in the top right corner is "view post".

So, even though you've chosen to ignore someone, if you feel intrigued, you can click on "view post" and still see it. :)

Edit : Andy was quicker than me, but I had to take a phone call mid post. ;)