Your Band Talisman

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ploughboy, May 16, 2004.

1. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Do you have a player that makes everything work that little bit better at band? Does anything for the band?

Lets name names people and give them a cheer they deserve.

I've got two.

Cary (bassboneshep)- Bass Trom, the volume at the band lacks when he's not there, not just because of his personal volume, everyone plays up to him and the band sound that little more confident...

Crawford (2MD)- Again, he helps tie everything together, besides bonding the front row together (moving off top chair for good of band) shoves people into shifting gear, rings deps. And now agonising over whether to go to football (his beloved Hudds Town) or come to band,

Of course all my band are stars, but there's always one or two that shine a little bit more, Who are your stars???????

2. Nuke

Nuke Active Member

You know if Deborah finds out you didnt mention her shell be devastated, then she will hunt you down and kill you

3. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

it's not that anyone in the band is any less valuable than anyone else, but there's always one or two folk that lead the way, Everyone at Emley knows how much they a valued but i feel that the two named are worthy of that special mention!

4. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I'm filling up...

5. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Awww, Crawf, someone appreciates your bandroom moaning for once! AND it's the conductor!

(just kiddin' ;))

6. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

There are times when I am flat out getting a good attendance at my band due to everyone else with other commitments (mainly schoolwork).

So I can safely say that everyone in my band is important.

*My sop offers variety
    *my 3 solo cornets all contribute to sound
    *my rep is flexible
    *my seconds are dedicated and hard working
    *my third........Well, I need him to play the cornet harmonies!!
    *My flugel...obvious
    *My solo horn - tone and style
    *my 1st horn hard working and a good backup for solo
    *my former 2nd horn, now moved back to bass. He did a darn good job at contest, but I need a stronger bass section more than I need 3 part horns at the moment
    *my 1st baritone depth to tenor section
    *2nd baritone is a great player, plus has a long history in Salvo banding and a good knowledge of English bands.
    *All three euphs. One plays sweetly, one plays loud, and one can play high. They are all capable of at least providing 2 of these 3 characteristics, but they each have a specialty
    *1st trombone has that nice bright sound
    * 2nd trombone is an older member (74) who has played that much out of our library he has most of the trom parts memorised
    * bass trombone can play anything, and play it well
    * my other E flat bass player for volume
    * My B flat bass player offers colour and depth
    * my percussionists drive the band, especially whoever is on the kit!

So there is NO way I can claim anyone is more important in my band than others

7. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

Hoppiebari, he's our man.
    If he can't do it, the Sherriff will sort it.

Gentlemen, h'we salute you.

8. Steve

Steve Active Member

I dont think we have any players that arent missed in their absence, either as a player or as a bandroom personality but the one person that continually has the drive, desire, dedication and passion to push us along is our MD. John Fletcher is his name and he has taken the band from non contesting to the first section and, by the looks of things has no intention of stpping there. Awesome leader. If we are naming names then Pete Herbert (Eb bass)(Rondo Rotundo on tMp) also deserves a mentiuon as he is a natural leader by ability, knowledge and attitude. One other would be our chairman, Keith Betts.

9. Dawnys_flug

Dawnys_flug Member

As people have said every player is missed but i think the one that we miss most when he isn't there is Jim on Solo Horn. The entire section (and they are the first to admit it!) totally falls apart when Jim isn't there!

But similar happens when all the 'end seat' players are not there i think, just slightly more in the horn section :p

10. When our old MD walks into the room and in all his modesty offers to bump up the 3rd cornet part the whole band just lights up and the playing goes through the roof.

Great topic, I agree some people just have that hard to pin down quality that makes everyone around them just rise to another level

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Talisman
    anything
    names
    people
    everyone
  12. Couldn't agree more

I would also like to add Debs, Solo Horn (librarian and general printer out of stuff) she is great her persona alone is uplifting!

Love you all xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

13. eckyboy

eckyboy Member

Basher Bill is the man--sorts out the music,puts up stands and chairs etcetc..also Bruce,first man at the bar after or before a contest/concert and the chairman(or more like a setteaman as he's so laid back) 8)

14. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Basher Bill's a legend man!! "Where ur wi, am lost!"

Our MD's always there setting up before the band arrives but in return, we pack away (although it seems to be the same people every rehearsal!) However do we manage now though eh Helen!! :wink:

15. bruceg

bruceg Active Member

Couldn't agree more about Basher Bill, Alec - he's a star. Nothing's too much trouble for him.

Thanks for the kind words in my direction too - the cheque's in the post :D

16. timbloke

timbloke Member

Anyone in any band in sheffield must have come accross Big Al... need i say more.

17. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

My band wouldn't be the same without our principal eupho. For a start he is an amazing player (probably the most under rated in this country) and he is also our "cultural attachae". Subtle as a brick through a window and has a one-liner for any situation.