You wouldn't want to put your lips round this !!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Richard Orme, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Richard Orme

Richard Orme Member

:) Hi guys and gals,
    Has anyone got any tricks of the trade so to speak, in making an old tarnished mouldy scummy (get the idea) mouthpiece looking like new again. As the wife forgot to clean it for me before hiding it in the back of a drawer for 3 years.

Any tips gladly appreciated.
  2. Alice

Alice Member

Boiling water usually works for me, although i was never careless enough to leave it 3 years :p
  3. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

3 years is a long time to not notice that someone's hidden your mouthpiece - perhaps you should practice more often ;)

What sort of finish is it - silver, laquer, real gold etc.

4. Richard Orme

Richard Orme Member

lol its a larger one than i play on at the moment hence why its been in the draw for so long, its a silver one m8
  5. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Boil it to get the outside crud off, then use a good quality liquid silver polish (the kind used to dip jewelry). Make sure you rinse off the polish well, as it might not be the best thing to put you lips on.
  6. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

At Pontins this year as a drunken prank, I put one of our cornet player's mouthpiece in an empty metal sugar bowl and then put it into the freezer compartment of the fridge.

Of course when he got up the next morning the water had frozen solid with the mouthpiece. When it had thawed out the mouthpiece was completely clean and looked as good as new!
  7. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

If the bowl was empty, where did the water come from? :-?

I'm not sure how freezing something could clean it, but I'll choose to believe your observation, since I haven't tried it myself. A seriously encrusted mouthpiece is probably going to require more than simply freezing to make things right.
  8. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Nice blame avoidance there... ;)

Anyway, boiling water, savlon and scrubbing are generally the best tips in my opinion...
  9. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

Savlon? Isn't that for cuts, that cream stuff?? :-? :shock: Surely the mouthpiece isn't that bad..:shock: poor thing :-(
  10. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

could you not clean it yourself?!
  11. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

On that weird programme on BBC2 that gives helpful hints on things, one woman made her silvery cutlery so very shiny and clean by boiling it in a saucepan with a few scrunched up balls of tin foil....
    it might work, good luck!
  12. stopher

stopher Member

Go to the nearest Old People's home and get some sterident - should bubble most of the rubbish out and soften the rest so a quick brush through is easier.

Might not got it gleaming but will be better!
  13. Steve

Steve Active Member

Rich, that is disgusting. I didnt think even Bass bone players could forget about a mouthpiece for three years. Buy a plastic one cos everyone else does

Steve March
    Solo Bone
    Raunds Temperance
  14. ComputerBloke

ComputerBloke Member

I've not tried it before but you could try soaking it in Coka Cola.

Have you seen what it does to old coins?
    You wouldn't drink any afterwards...

Polishes them up nicely ;)
  15. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

what do you think would happen if you froze your instrument?
  16. andyp

andyp Active Member

I'd try Steradent+boiling water, works wonders on badly stanied teacups. Leave overnight for best results. Then clean with an old toothbrush, and the bore with a mouthpiece brush or similar (cotton buds work well on cornet mouthpieces).
  17. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

This brand isn't known in the US, I'm assuming that it's used for cleaning false teeth? :-?

I've never heard of using this type of thing to clean a mouthpiece, but I can see where it wuold probably work.
  18. Brassb3ll3nd

Brassb3ll3nd Member

I think you would get chapped lips, and I can't see it being very beneficial to the valves cos any water inside em will expand and may cause damage.

If you put a bottle of lager in your freezer to cool down quickly, then accidentally forget about it, (like wot I did in the summer) it dosen't half make a mess!
  19. Farmer Giles

Farmer Giles Member

drop it in a glass of cheapo cola and leave it for a bit.

that's what i do with mine when it gets full of gunk.

20. SuperHorn

SuperHorn Member

Soak it overnight in vinegar and if not fussy use the vinegar on your chips the next day.