You Raise Me Up.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by CubbRep, Feb 19, 2008.

1. CubbRep

CubbRep Member

Has anyone ever played You Raise Me Up as a solo?I have been asked to play it at Lichfield Cathedral on July 26th for The Police Unity Memorial Association's Annual Commemoration Service.
    I am their resident bugler.But,they know that I play in a brass band and have played solo's on numerous occasions.
    If there is a solo part,can someone please let me know and where I could get a part from.
  2. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

It's on Thorne's Music.
  3. Scotty

Scotty Member

Andy Duncan has arranged it for soloist with either band or piano. His catalogue is on Music Company Ltd now i think. Hope that helps!
  4. TheMusicCompany

TheMusicCompany Supporting Member

You Raise Me Up

Alternatively, there's an Andrew Duncan arrangement as a Cornet Solo with brass band.

It's published by Crabtree, but available through The Music Company online shop if that helps at all?

From the sets we've sold, we've only heard good things about it :)
  5. TheMusicCompany

You got in just before us Scotty!
  6. CubbRep

CubbRep Member

I will be playing it on my own with no accompanyment.
  7. Robin Norman

Robin Norman Member

The Andy Duncan version is published by my publishing company, Crabtree Music, and available with Full Brass Band accompaniment at £27.95 or with Piano Accompaniment for £7.95. If you have no accompaniment available you could easily take the solo part out and, as the main tune is there throughout, it will work fine on its own.

Although this was arranged for a Solo Cornet I have now also heard it performed on Flugel, Baritone and Euphonium. As you would expect from Andy, it works equally as well on all.

Crabtree Music titles are currently distributed by De Haske Music throughout Europe and, as such, you should be able to get hold of this through any reputable music dealer. In case of difficulty you can call De Haske directly on 01536 260981 or order on their website
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  8. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Hi Rich,

Let me have you full postal address (via PM) and I'll send you a solo part free gratis.

9. TheMusicCompany

You Raise Me Up

Looks Like Roger has saved the day with this one! Best of luck with the performance CubbRep - bet it will sound great in a cathedral accoustic.
  10. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

For what it is worth, it is basically an easy solo and very beautiful.

Played in churches and other places around the world as it is a very popular modern Christian tune.

Good luck with it. Enjoy it and bring out its beauty!

11. CubbRep

CubbRep Member

Thankyou Roger,PM on its way.:tup
  12. CubbRep

CubbRep Member

Thanks for that Jim.I am really looking forward to playing it.I will be playing it on Flugel not Cornet.I am hoping that the horn sound will give it a bit more of a mellow accoustic.The Cathedral is absolutely fantastic to play in.
    I have played The Last Post in there many times and it sounds very good.
  13. flugtastic

flugtastic Member

i played this as a flugle solo the day my grandad died, was a very emotional piece to play. our conductor at the time had arranged it.
  14. andyp

andyp Active Member

Have been playing this a while and still think it's great - if you can get hold of a CD of Josh Groban performing it (the original) it'll give you pointers for phrasing etc. Failing that Google for the lyrics.
  15. CubbRep

CubbRep Member

Thanks Andy,
    I was listening to it last night with a young lady singing it in sounds very emotional.And will look forward to playing it on the day.
  16. dyl

dyl Active Member

The original was actually by a group called Secret Garden, which the composer was a member of!
  17. kerrytoy

kerrytoy New Member

I played it on tenor horn, its a lovely piece to play, and i also love lisening to Josh Groban singing it, such a good voice, so much emotion.
  18. Ryan06

Ryan06 Member

I havent played the solo since I play baritone in the brass of our Euph's player that played the solo did a great job. He's an amazing player! we played it at a concert last year on a trip.
  19. CubbRep

CubbRep Member

I have the part,but at the moment I haven't had chance to play through it.But I will certainly have a blow tomorrow.
    It looks very good and I am looking forward to hearing what it sounds like in Lichfield Cathedral.The whole service is being filmed.So I will be very interested to hear what sort of sound I can produce.
  20. The Josh Groban version is far and away awesome - Brian Kennedy ripped the proverbial out of it at George Best's funeral, and Westlife (don't even get me started on those karaoke ruiners!)...............

PS - Owen Watson did a fantastic recording on United Co-op Yorkshire's last CD