You raise me up

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by B'aht a band, Oct 19, 2005.

1. B'aht a band

B'aht a band Member

Is it just me as a ruffty-tuffty BBb player, but am I totally wrong to enjoy Westlife's version of "You raise me up"? I think it is fantastic! Now, if only I knew the words, I could sing along :oops:

Andy

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    BBb
    Westlife
    Andy
    ruffty-tuffty BBb player
    version
  3. dyl

dyl Active Member

Yup - totally wrong! They've absolutely murdered it! As with most things, can't beat the original by Secret Garden, and Josh Groban's version was pretty good too - a little too cheesy - and it's this one which Westlife seem to have decided to base their 'version' on! Saw another version on iTunes last night too - a female singer can't remember her name, but it was quite a good version.

4. SoloBaritone

SoloBaritone Member

You can buy the sheet music if you really want to sing along! I think it's only £3 for the Josh Groban version, don't ask why I know!

Sellers recorded it a couple of years ago on the American Landscapes CD, Darren Stott sounds amazing.

Jayne

5. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

In common with all bass players you are not rufty-tufty at all. You are a big pink marshmallow. This is why the horn players sit in front of you and taunt you. It's because we know you go home and cry afterwards about the sheer cruelty of the world.;)

BMB
    xx

6. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

And you deserve it admitting to liking West Life ;)

7. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

.............or play along! we have a really nice arrangement of the russell watson? version, done by some local chappy i dont know yet! our solo euph player played it last week and i thought it was lush

............not heard westlifes version yet!

8. B'aht a band

B'aht a band Member

Thats it!!!!! I don't actually like Westlife and rather they burn in the fire's of Dante's Inferno, and I didn't know it had already been released as a single by someone else.

And as for being taunted by horn players, well, what can I say...... even the male horners have some dubiously female tendancies!!! ;) :biggrin:

Andy, bringing heavy metal to the masses, and sacrificing farmyard animals in rituals, in Belfast.

9. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

I think the Westlife version sounds great. I also like Russel Watson's version. And here I am listening to the newly released Michael Ball's version on his new album. Like that one too!

However, I think the best version is the one our principle cornet player plays! :clap:

10. flower girl

flower girl Member

i'm not a fan of westlife, but i've gotta admit that i really enjoy listening to this version, i listened to it on tv last night

11. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

It HAS to be the Aled Jones version - or the tMP Wedding Brass version - now THAT's good....

(I walked down the aisle to it and the Aled version was our first dance you see...Pondlife have killed it with the random cheesy key change thing)

Rach x

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    BBb
    Westlife
    Andy
    ruffty-tuffty BBb player
    version
  13. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

Not heard Westlifes version yet.. But I've heard Josh Grobans and the band version is ...*sob* Beautiful :rolleyes: Specially when our principal cornet plays it.. he has the most amazin sound!! :biggrin:

14. nice song, awful pop group

15. B'aht a band

B'aht a band Member

But don't they do that with every tune they murder?????!!!;)

Andy, looking for woodland creatures to butcher and praise the devil in Belfast (he lives here, I've seen him...)

16. Janet Watkins

Janet Watkins Member

17. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

And don't you just love watching their cute little bottoms...

It's no good, you're still a marshmallow...:tongue:
    BMB
    xx

18. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Back on topic, please!

19. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

20. B'aht a band

B'aht a band Member

Big Mama Badger, you brightened up my day calling me a marshmallow! Thank You....:clap:

Andy

21. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I've managed to avoid listening to this until Saturday - where I heard it on a local radio station. All I can say is bluuurrrggghhhh. The good old singles buying public eh? Last week we all bought the Arctic Monkeys and put a great song to number 1. I was happy. Very happy. Just seven days later we all buy Westloife's latest and I'm sad.

IMO its smaltzy and sugery and awful. What is that horrible synthesed violin doing? And the sudden key change half way through is truely shocking.

As for the song itself - we've been playing Andrew Duncans arrangment of it for a couple of months - infact it's on our new CD - [blatent plug] which will be very resonably priced and available for Christmas - the ideal Christmas presant [/blatent plug] and I like it muchly. I've never heard a vocal version of it till now, but was surprised at the words....its one of those songs that try a bit too hard to be uplifting and meaningful in a Flying Without Wind Beneath My Wings kind of way.

Pretty tune, dodgy lyrics, awful record.

22. lausonbass

lausonbass Member

it's beautiful Vic you'll love it, i'm considering buying the album just from that song, It's nearly as good as when Hathern play it!!!!!!