you guys doin both pontins and butlins

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by StellaJohnson, Oct 21, 2008.

1. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

This isn't a go at anyone, but i was wondering ( we don't do either contest) , how do you guys who do both pontins and butlins contest have time to rehearse for your busy christmas programme and other concerts, and then reherse for the areas?:confused: the thought would drive me mad!
  2. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Christmas stuff should'nt need that much preparation?
    If you have a strong band in your section its worth having a crack - the prize money is rather good.
    Kippax have made a substantial amount over recent years, to name but one band.

On the flip side, if you don't think you have much chance of success then why go through all that contesty palaver - its over rated (IMO)

PS You already are slightly mad Stell :D
  3. superjobby

superjobby Member

It's not actually as hard as it sounds. The Christmas stuff most people in the band are well aware of, and just needs a bit of polishing. When you bear in mind we participate in at least two other NWABBA contests (Fleetwood in early October and Wilkinsons Mid November) each year, and our MD likes to play different test pieces for each, not just the same one each time, it makes for a busy October/November!

However, it also adds variety and means that you don't get bored of the same piece over and over again. :biggrin:

Once the early season contests are over, you have a good few weeks before the Christmas concert period, which is plenty of time. Butlins piece is looked at periodically (it's blummin' good, and quite hard for 4th section this year!), and we work it up after the Christmas rush. After Butlins we have a month and a half until the area, so it all pans out to be honest.

Plus, it helps if you like the piece that you are working up. Otherwise it's a bit of struggle at times!:hammer
  4. StellaJohnson

understand when you are a upper section band. It dosen't bother me the whole contesting palvaver, but there are alot of bands alot worse than us that do everything and surely there are worse chrimbo concerts your poor wife has gone through than ours!!!

PS we are playng another concert this weekend with not one but two choirs (oh dear!!):)
  5. StellaJohnson

it takes us from start of new year till areas to get our performance up to scratch ( We have alot of inexperience kids in our band) and 2 months till buxton contest (our local contest) to get a new piece up to standard, then we have people on hols etc pus gigs, we usually end up playing dimensions for the upteenth time. Going to prove the test this time now we have been promoted to the third!
  6. steve butler

What do you mean my poor wife?
    She loves crimbo concerts ;)
  7. StellaJohnson

She loves listenin to the mighty Burbage Band!:biggrin:
  8. steve butler

As I said, quite mad.