You are never too old

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by TIMBONE, Mar 13, 2006.

TIMBONE Active Member

Julie and I got back from Blackpool today, pleased that our band had gained 2nd place in the areas and were off to the finals in September. There was a phone message from my 86 year old dad, (the Larry Adler of the South West), telling us that he too had won a music prize. He came 1st in the open section of the Highbridge and Burnham music festival, where he gave a 15 minute recital on the harmonica. I am not sure yet what his programme was, but I am sure it included the "Barber of Saville" by Rossini. If you have never heard this played on a mouth organ, you have never lived!
  2. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

Barber of Seville on the Harmonica - superb!

Congrats to your dad!

Why not write him a concerto for Harmonica and Brass Band?! ;-)
  3. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Well done, Timbone's Dad :clap:
  4. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Indeed!! Timbone's dad Rocks! :clap: :cool:
  5. vonny

vonny Member

Wow Timbone your dad's a star! It was cool to meet you and jules yesterday, and in case you can't remeber me I was the one who shouted hiya Timbone - in the bar :)
  6. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

you know...the one you tried to run from? :rolleyes:

TIMBONE Active Member

I have just been speaking to my dad and passed on your congratulations. By the way, here is the programme of his recital. Barber of Seville, Rossini; Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring, Bach; Pomp and Circumstance no.4, Elgar.

8. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Your dad's not the bloke who did his music degree on the harmonica is he? ;)
    Did see Jules yesterday from across the bar but couldn't get close enough to say hello due to being a shortarse with too many tall people in front of me...
  9. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Wow! Timbone your dad sounds like a proper legend! and he's from the South West! couldn't be better! :D GO TIMBONES DADDY!
  10. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

ooh, sorry i didn't see you yesterday timbone - well done your band though :) i was there with my bf and a certain young child and so didn't get to listen to any bands till he'd finished playing. then we were both knackered and went home! boring i know ;) but anyway well done and well done to your dad too!

TIMBONE Active Member

Just thought I would pull this thread up again to let you know there is a picture of my Dad with his medal in the Gallery.