Yorkshire Schools Band Badge.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by iancwilx, Jul 29, 2011.

1. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I have lost a piece of my personal Brass Band memorabilia, namely my old Yorkshire Schools Band badge.
    It might seem a bit trivial, but I liked it.
    I don't hold out much hope, but is there anyone out there with one lying unloved at the back of a drawer who would be prepared to sell it to me for a nominal sum ?
    The badge was round, with a white rose in the centre and a blue surround with BBAYS on it.
    It stood for "Brass Band Association of Yorkshire Schools." ~ Why the authorities didn't entitle it "The Yorkshire Schools Brass Band" I don't know, because that is what 100% of folk called it !
    Showing my age now, but the irreverent members of the band used to say that BBAYS stood for "Boo Boo and Yogi Society." (Ref: Ancient cartoon series.)
    Sorry to set you all off yawning, but I'm just having one of my "Wallowing in nostalgia" moments !

- Mr Wilx

2. euphymike

euphymike Member

Incredible! I think I saw mine at my parents house in Driffield a couple of weeks ago! totally forgotten about it. I did the gig in about 1970 ? ish. I remember turning up for a saturday morning rehearsal in a school sports hall somewhere near Doncaster. (it seemed a long way from york when your fourteen and humping a euphonium) In those days they sent you a railway 'travel warrant' to get you there and back. I think I did a summer camp with them at an old army base near whitby. I lost interest after that and didn't go again! if I can find it again you can have it. i played for Rowntrees works band at the time with Les Lambert conducting. Some great old boys in the band then!

3. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

That's great news Mike, absolutely amazing.
    Let me know if you find it and we'll come to some arrangement. I would be very grateful.
    You can email me direct at iancwilx@ntlworld.com.
    Yes, they were great times. I was in the band from its formation in 1961 until about 1965. I'd left school in 1963 but Bass Players were in short supply !!.
    When I was in Leeds Model Band in the early 60's I remember contesting against Rowntrees quite a few times.

Happy days !

4. agentorange

agentorange Member

I've got one Wilky, I still wear it with pride on my band uniform. I don't see it as trivial at all! Hope you can sort something out with Mike, i'm hanging onto mine. :)

5. agentorange

agentorange Member

here it is for those who are curious. :)

Attached Files:

• 016.JPG
      016.JPG
      File size:
      36.6 KB
      Views:
  6. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

That's the one ~ how the memories come flooding back looking at it.
    If Mike can't find his then I shall print off your pic and frame it !

Many thanks AO ~ Perhaps we should organise a reunion !

- Mr Wilx

7. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

PS: Just to say it was a far superior badge to the NYBBGB badge which was a very inferior plastic effort in comparison.
    Proud as I was of being in the NYBBGB, I wouldn't have worn the badge on my band uniform, but, as you do, I would have worn the BBAYS badge with pride.

- Mr Wilx

8. euphymike

euphymike Member

I only go up to my parents every two to three months. They are in their 80's and if I ring and ask to find it they will invariably make a hash of it and bin it or similar. You may have to bear with me on this one as i would rather locate and find it myself. I used to go cycle racing as well for Clifton CC and won a lot of medals of which are the same size and appearance. My parents don't know one from the other nowadays!

9. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Ah ! ~ the joy of "Senior Moments" ~ I think I started having them when I was about 30 Ha ! Ha !

No sweat Mike, however long it takes I will still be very grateful.

Cheers,

- Ian W.

10. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Still salivating with anticipation !

- Mr Wilx

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Yorkshire Schools Band Badge
    Brass Band
    Yorkshire Schools Band
    Wilx
    Yorkshire Schools Brass Band
  12. euphymike

euphymike Member

Alas I havent been able to get up to Driffield yet. Currently lots of rehearsals for nationals next week and wife would like to see me a bit after that so hopefully november!
    I only hope they haven't had a senior moment clear out,

13. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I know what you mean.
    Some years ago my Mother had a clear out and I lost all my Certificates and the few Educational qualifications I had scraped plus loads of valued memorabilia ~ But what can you say to them ???

- Mr Wilx

14. Toxophile

Toxophile Member

Searching......

Now I need to go on a search for my old BBAYS badge as well. We should have 2 in the house and both my brother and I played in the band. Should also be Rotherham Schools Brass Band ones too.