Yorkshire Regional Contest 2007

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by barrytone, Feb 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barrytone

barrytone Member

Sorry if there's already a thread posted for this, can't find it on tmp. Can find one about the testpieces but not the bands taking part. Not sure when the prediction contest will be up and running, sure the mods will tell us soon. Yorkshire Area Contest is only two weeks away and just wondering if people who are competing have any thoughts they could share in the forum.

Will be interesting to hear opinions on anything from the venue to the bands involved. I've played at St. Georges for many years and have also competed and National Finals and think it's one of the finest halls I have every played in. It was designed specifically as a concert hall and in my opinion serves it's purpose perfectly.

Only criticism I have is the amount of stairs from the dressing rooms to the stage and then steps onto the stage. Is there a lift backstage that can be used for anyone who is unable to climb the stairs or failing the presence of a lift do the committee and stewards have contingency plans to accomodate less able bodied players? Something I've often thought about and it occurs to me now as I have a friend who plays who's in a wheelchair but doesn't compete in the Yorkshire area.

Anyone know?
  2. stuartw

stuartw Member

You can find all the details of the bands taking part at this year's Yorkshire Championships at

Regarding your question about access to the stage, the sectretaries of all of the competing bands have been sent instructions that include details about the special registration procedures for any players that are not able to use the stairs and the standard route through registration. There is also a steward designated to assisit any player that needs to use this registration method.

Unfortunately the deisgn of the the stage at St. Georges means that access to the stage always requires a short set of about 4 steps. Stewards are always on hand to help any player that needs assistance up these stairs and several players that are also wheelchair users have been able to compete in the past.

Yorkshire Webmaster and Regional Committee
  3. barrytone

barrytone Member

Thanks Stuart, it's something I've often thought about. It's no criticism of the venue or the way the contest is organised, reassuring to know that the committee have measures in place to deal with any mobility issues. Had a look at the website and found loads of information about grading tables and competing bands, very comprehensive. Many thanks for your help and congratulations on such an informative and comprehensive website.
  4. glitzy

glitzy Member

The beer is too expensive and I always get ID'd despite being 25! ;-) Looking forward to the contest , first section especially should sort the men from the boys!
  5. pdj

pdj Member

Its a great contest in my opinion. Have always enjoyed playing there from the start of my playing career to the present day. Its not often that a band like ours can compete against the likes of the famous names of Dyke, Grimthorpe, YBS, Brighouse and co!!! Our debut in the Champ section last year was a fantastic experience and i am sure this year will be just as good. Bring it on:biggrin: Good luck to all involved on the day.
  6. Mark Bowater

Mark Bowater Member

Without doubt the most intimidating contest atmosphere and most nerve wrecking stage to play on , especially if you wear the black gold and red uniform, didn't like playing there at all...the crowd praying for mistakes...very strange..
  7. JohnnyEuph

JohnnyEuph Member

Character building
  8. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

I can't say i like the hall to play in. It is always such a lonely feeling sitting on that stage playing - when that stick goes down and you hit your first note it suddenly feels like you are playing on the stage by yourself, and the only sound you can hear is your own! It always passes in such a daze - i feel like i come off that stage having been unconcious and like the previous 10-15 mins have not really happened. Least i won't remember any of my mistakes:p

Anyway can't wait!!!

Good luck to all bands this year.
  9. zak

zak Member

Never heard it called that before in all the years I have played there lmao ;)
  10. Kermit

Kermit New Member

Not long to go now! Cant believe there aren't any predictions up yet??!!!
  11. kierendinno

kierendinno Member

The hall

I played there for the first time last year, having only ever played a regional at Burton-on-Trent town hall. Couldn't believe what a fantastic venue it is! Ok, it's like being marooned on a desert island when you're playing, but the atmosphere is fantastic. Last year was a bit of a daze- can't actually remember playing- I know I did (or at least I HOPE I did!), but it was so overwhelming, and also probably due to the fact we had to play Images...

Can't wait for the day- am excited about playing but I really can't wait for the top section. Again, only ever watched the whole top section at Burton- and it wasn't bad (they played Tristan Encounters that year)- but to hear the likes of Dyke, Grimey and YBS play Isiah 40, all under one roof... it promises to be fantastic!

Good luck John and Pete with Hatfield, and good luck to everybody playing!

And can we get some predictions going??
  12. dyl

dyl Active Member

The tMP Prediciton Contest will be operational shortly - we're just finalising the complete list of entries for all areas. Bear with us.
  13. kierendinno

kierendinno Member

Cheers dudes!
  14. pdj

pdj Member

Thanks for that:biggrin: Goodluck to you and your band too!!!! We all are hoping to improve on last years result of 9th so fingers crossed.

Should be a good contest this year and a fantastic test piece to boot!!
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  15. barrytone

barrytone Member

Forgot to say that in first section, I believe Holme Silver haven't entered and I have heard on the brass band grapevine that although Grange Moor have entered, they're not competing. If this is true, this reduces the first section to twelve bands and would be such a shame for two previously very successful bands.
  16. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

If you look at the 2007 Yorkshire grading table of the 5 bands promoted/relegated in to the section this year they are all on equal 3rd place with 2 bands above and 6 bands below. Similar situation in 2nd and 3rd sections with 3 & 2 above and 5 & 5 below respectively.

I know how the points work but can anyone explain why the promoted/relegated bands seem to land higher up the table than an "average" position might imply?

If there are only 12 competing in the 1st section this year then the average mark for promoted/relegated bands next year will be half a point less at 13.5 which will continue this effect.

Are there sections elsewhere in the country where the newly placed bands land lower than the middle table?
  17. Rimshot

Rimshot New Member

Marks are worked out on the average number of bands registered in that section so there are 14 bands registered in the 1st section which i think there have been 4 a few years, therefore the average ponts 4 this year is 7 not 13.5 and of course points are worked over a 3 year period so in 2008 a promoted band in the programme will have 2006: 7 pts 2007: 7 pts giving them 14pts total before they compete the position the band finishes is then added to the above to give final positions 4 prom./rel. etc etc not trying to complicate things in 2009 assuming the band are still in that section the points would be 2007: 7 pts average prom 2008: place they finished, this gives total pts b4 they compete in 2009
  18. Rimshot

Rimshot New Member

no need 4 the grape vine if you look on the yorkshire regional web site you will find that the above is true holme silver did not enter and grange moor have withdrawn. Sorry if this sounds sarcastic!!
  19. barrytone

barrytone Member

It doesn't. Good to have official confirmation though. Twelve bands left then, good luck to all competing bands.
  20. chiephonium

chiephonium Member

- don't worry about my boss Shaun, i'm trying desperatley to keep him in check!

I can't wait to make my debut in the Yorkshire Championship Section - chomping at the bit you might say!

No doubt my adrenalin will be flowing when we get out there.... bluddy brilliant - love contests....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.