Yorkshire Regional Championships - 2010

Discussion in '2010 National Championships of Great Britain' started by Di, Feb 15, 2010.

1. BariPower

BariPower Member

Wow what a day - I thought the results were a bit odd but I dont have the qualifications to judge but one band stood high above the rest for me. Looking forward to tomorrows battle!!

2. andyfake

andyfake Member

And Cornerstone are 22.5, not 22 after today. Damn this 5 minute editing deadline!!

Sorted! 2md. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2010
  3. andyfake

andyfake Member

Cheers Crawf - told you I could add up!
    And don't worry about today - Emley survive to scrap it out with us again next year!

4. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Moderator Staff Member

And there your Honour, I rest my case!

:biggrin:

5. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Andy...see you in the bar next year! :tup

6. Euphemistic

Euphemistic New Member

Congratulations to Leigh Baker and South Yorks Police on 2nd place - obviously on a roll following their result at Butlins.

7. Give me a flugal

Give me a flugal New Member

well done rockingham!!! sooo glad you deserved :)

8. sbandsman

sbandsman Member

We were there for the day. Don't think I heard the same bands as the adjudicators in First section. We heard the same bands as 4BR.
    Think those pink curtains must have distorted things. :eek:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  9. Mrs Horn

Mrs Horn Member

Well done Grange Moor :clap: From your Whit Friday mate on t'other side o't 'ill :biggrin:

10. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

You were right Andy, it was a ridiculous post

But as for the other bit?
    You've never been that interesting :biggrin:

11. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

You cant say that as you dont know what they were listening for.

It's a tough test piece & the adjudicators obviously chose aspects to look at before they go into the box.

12. Souter

Souter Member

Huge well done to Hebden Bridge on a great result today. From your Scottish friends at Selkirk.

13. Columbo

Columbo Member

I'd 2nd that. Heard them at rehearsal yesterday morning and there was definitely an air of determination there. Regardless of the scepticism by some, a great result. Sometimes you have to take the breaks. Like most bands, the work had definitely gone in.

Well done planty also on the soloist prize! For those that don't know, he spent 3 days in hospital last week in order to ensure he was at Bradford for Hebden . Seems it was worth it. You reap what you sow! Sorry, couldn't resist that one Ian!

14. Frontman

Frontman Member

Sincere congratulations to Meltham and Hebden Bridge. proberbly the best way for Stuart Fawcet and Roy Curran to prove the under dog point.

Well done to all players in both bands and special mention to Steve Gardener who has put so much into the Hebden Bridge band, that proves that success come to the hardest workers and not the expected few who think its their right.

SO PLEASED.

15. drumstyx

drumstyx New Member

... who says they knew what they were listening for?

16. drumstyx

drumstyx New Member

wow. thats quite a statement to make..

17. John_D

John_D Member

Similar thing happened to my (at the time) band a couple of years ago. Conductor had been to a workshop where the composer went through the test piece with them. One other conductor from our section also went. Where did the 2 bands come? Yep, last 2!! Adjudicator, in his summing up, said what he thought it should have been played like, and most of it was in complete contradiction to what the composer had said!!!

18. robert boyles

robert boyles New Member

well done grange moor so unlucky not to have made the finals ..badger ...

19. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

Wow words of wisdom there.

20. andyfake

andyfake Member

Shouldn't be a problem of interpretation today for section 4 - Mr Sparke being in the box! In section 2 we did take advice from a conductor/adjudicator who had worked with Philip Harper on a performance of the piece (to a meeting of adjudicators I believe). However, in our case the composer wasn't in the box and the adjudicators who were there perhaps had their own opinions as to how it should be played. Perhaps they should take more note of the composer's wishes, perhaps they will choose not to. All part of the colourful lottery that is contesting - thank goodness there's more to banding than this!

(I suppose the Section 1 adjudicators would have needed a medium to find out what Mr Holst expected of his one and only work for brass?)