Yorkshire Regional Championships - 2010

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Di, Feb 15, 2010.

1. PurpleHaze

PurpleHaze Member

Haha....to be honest i have to have most jokes explained to me anyway. I just thought that's what the other poster was referring to. Maybe not...

2. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Well-Known Member

I'm here all week.....

3. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

If you check who Anglo Music Press actually is (google it if you have you ) you can be pretty darn sure he knows what he's talking about....

4. Zappa

Zappa Member

LOL :clap: :biggrin: ;)

5. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

You're getting as bad as the rest of us :biggrin:

6. damarocto

damarocto Member

Oh Dear!!!! purplehaze!! Im just sat here shaking my head!!!! lol

7. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

:clap:

8. PurpleHaze

PurpleHaze Member

:tongue: Yes, yes, i have embarrassed myself, let's all move on, haha.

9. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Guess there's a "Sparke" of life left yet :)

10. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

Its a waste of time moaning about it. Accept the results and move on. And sometimes people are great performers but not so great conductors! Maybe,just maybe they didnt likethe conductors interpretation of the score. Was that not mentioned too?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  11. casanova

casanova Member

Is it though?

12. brassintheed

brassintheed Member

This is a very interesting point. My personal opinion is that if live music is to be judged then it should be done in the truest musical sense. And that includes seeing what's going on. A live performence rests very strongly on visual communication. And even the knowledge of who's performing.

If you're a serious musician going to see a new composition played, then your acceptance of this piece. and how well it's played is very strongly linked to how much you respect the performer. This can be communicated to you by existing knowledge of their expertise, or by how they physically perform (confidence, putting the audience at ease, etc).

And yes, this may mean that you prefer Dyke's performance over another band's (which may be note perfect if listened to in a sterile fashion) purely because it's Dyke. But that's music, and that's art. - And before you tirade me, I completely accept that this aspect is very difficult to judge in a 'sporting' fashion. But how many other musical forms are judged in this artificial and sterile way? Why do we insist in Brass Bands that music is about competing in a 'fair' fashion?
    This is why I've always believed that the bands we truly respect musically (and professionally) shouldn't be included in an amateur contest.
    But that's just my opinion, and I know it's not what most people believe :) and PS I love contests - I am my own counter-argument!

13. tromwinst

tromwinst Member

Does anyone know of any videos recorded from the yorkshire area 4th section? It would be good to hear how the bands got on?

Cheers

14. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Actually, it'd be illegal....whoops, slipped backwards again :(

15. tromwinst

tromwinst Member

:D I'm sure it is but as you know it goes on, and it would be great to listen all the same! ;)

16. KMJ Recordings

Yeah, I'm really glad I do this for a living :hammer

17. KMJ Recordings

Try going to the contest.

18. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

That's it, Keith, give him a kicking!

19. tromwinst

tromwinst Member

Only informing you of what im sure you already know! Try checking out Facebook there are lots of recordings of the championship section bands. Just in case you wanted to follow that up since it is as you said not allowed.

Anyway, if you were there all day, do you record the whole day and are the recordings available for people to buy?

20. tromwinst

tromwinst Member

Idiot.