Yorkshire Regional Championships - 2009

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Di, Jan 6, 2009.

1. paddo

paddo Member

fantastic result for a well deserved performance. well played, well executed and very well conducted by john. John is with out doubt one of the best band trainers and conductors, thank you John.

Apart form having a stonking cold, blocked ears and so on, one of the best day's of my banding life. thanks to all within shat, and all the best to Owen, you will be missed mate........

2. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Wow, what a result!

I have to say, Garry Hallas (Ploughboy) phoned me as he was leaving the hall before the results and said that he was amazed how close it was, stressing that from what he'd heard, and apart from a "magical" middle section by Grimey that it was clearly no longer the usual 3 or 4 jostling for the top spot. And then he said "you know, I wouldn't even be surprised if Rothwell and 'Epworth are in the top two they were that good".

God I hate it when he's right. :rolleyes: (I don't hate the result, I just hate him being right! ;))

3. Aurora771

Aurora771 Member

Haha, you weren't the only one. 4br Twitter were a little off the mark with their predictions.. but that's contesting!

Congrats to Rothwell and Hepworth(and their soloists!). I wish I could've made it down to listen.. next time perhaps.

4. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

he he he he he,

It's a burden. there were some top notch performances tonight, you could clearly see why we have 7 bands in the top 20. Well done to all the prize winners this weekend.

Thanks to everyone who has wished us well, it's been a 6 year marathon working our way up to the verge of the 2nd section on gradually improving results, thanks to my team who have put in some serious effort so far this year, bums on seats makes such a difference. Oh, and we have a No Vacancies sign on the bandroom door - it's a great feeling!

5. critic

critic Member

yes well done rothwell and hepworth there was some superb playing from both bands and the attention to detail shone through

6. So proud tonight, well done to everyone at Skelmanthorpe. (Rob Cav you were awesome!!)

Special thanks to JR for such a good interpretation, and to Owen for all the dedicated service for the last 5 years.

Paul

7. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

Well done all at Skelmanthorpe. I only hard first half of the performance over the speakers downstairs but it sounded fantastic. Keep it up and surely this is a sign of things to come for the band

8. HBB

HBB Active Member

What a great day...!! :)

9. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

Congratulations to Hepworth on their 2nd place!! yay!! All down to Tony ;)

10. deave

deave Member

I listened to 9 out of 12 bands and I'm very surprised with the results!
    Personally I can't believe B&R didn't qualify, really enjoyed their performance.

Some of the best playing I heard all day was from Sop and Euph @ Hepworth and Top man @ Marsden.
    Well done to all the qualifying bands, c u in London.

Deave - Fodens

11. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

Brilliant contest. Listened to everyone in top section and thought there were about 5 great performances but Rothwell were the only ones to really give me goosebumps. Such a superb piece of music - really no problem listening to it 12 times - apart from the DVT acquired from the top tier seating.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  12. JR

JR Member

Yesterday

Congratulations to Dave and Rothwell! (get that hotel booked Andy...)

V well done to Hepworth

Really delighted with our performance and placing - great effort - looking forward to the meal tonight now!

John R

13. tsawyer

tsawyer Member

On behalf of Rothwell Temperance Band and David Roberts, I would like to thank everyone for their emails, messages, phone calls and texts.

Awesome result. There will be a few sore heads around this morning.

Congratulations to Hepworth on an excellent result, we look forward to seeing you in London.

Tim.

14. Matthew

Matthew Active Member

Thank you, much appreciated and well done to you all too. :)

Thanks! You looked very 'composed' indeed and no sign of any cacking going on for sure, lol! :biggrin:

PS: Well done to Rothwell and Hepworth yesterday, a brilliant result, nice one both! :clap:

15. horn gold

horn gold New Member

Just returned from a wonderful weekend listening in yorkshire. Heard quite a lot of bands in what was some terrific contests. Enjoyed been a brass band geek again after a few years out of the game . . . so here are my humble thoughts for others to argue against :tongue:

it was a right old battle that took place in the top section but rothwell were IMO rightful winners. dyke were my second place but the number 1 draw probably didnt help. had grimethorpe 3rd too but hammonds were my my 6th not 11th :sup does that mean they are down now? b&r were okay and too many splits for imps.

Heard most of the bands in section 2 and 3 and they were good contests too [didn’t quite make it in time for the 4th after a long night with firends in there local ;).]
    From what I heard the results seemed about right though. i really enjoyed kippax and grange moor but didnt hear frickly so cant really say about 2nd. 3rd section results sounded close enough from what i heard and overheard.
    two great new pieces of music too!! really liked the new world sketches, and the future king piece sounded just right for the third section bands [particularly the higher end bands]

The first section was terrific too and what a fantastic piece!!!! wasnt too sure when I first played through it in our bandroom but it grows on you so much. The winning band made it sound fantastic and even gave the vinter a run for its money! :sup [pause for the irate complaints :mad:]. it certainly sorts the bands out too which is what you want!!!! only IMO but wakefield were clear winners. hade edge were secure and accurate enough to deserve second. but had bands placed 3567 as top 6 but not in that order [6375]. Cornerstone were poor though and a huge dissappointment. IMO the bottom few placed bands lost it on the simple stuff of not playing together and not the fancy stuff. will see what happens in a fortnights time!

Just my ramblings . . . probably all wrong!!!!

Great weekend though and looking forward to our areas now (1st section London SC)

Jim.

16. flugelboy

flugelboy Member

Thatsa little harsh don't you think?

17. robcav

robcav Member

Thanks Paul. It was a great team effort from Skelmanthorpe, superbly led by JR. Especially well done to Jo, our prinipal cornet, on her first Yorkshire top section area contest - nerves of steel.

Very well done to Rothwell and Hepworth - disappointed I didn't hear you guys.

18. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

Thoroughly enjoyed listening to the top section yesterday...(its still a bit weird not playing)...not quite the results I expected but that's contesting for ya.

Maybe I'm being a tad cynical, but...Would the organisers have put back the start of the contest if it hadn't been Dyke on first?

Couldn't see that happening up North...Reg Vardy drawn #1 or not.

Sud (Cynical Old Git).

19. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

I think they may have also taken into account the fact that the allocated seating system had crashed making it take a lot longer to get your tickets.

20. DannyCollin

DannyCollin Member

No!!