Yorkshire Co-op join forces with Phil Lawrence and Norfolk Wherry Brass

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by brass journo, Sep 21, 2005.

1. brass journo

brass journo Member

An epic start to 2006 as Lawrence, Yorkshire Co-op and Norfolk Wherry
    join forces

The United Co-op Yorkshire Brass Band will kick-off 2006 in grand style by giving the UK premiere of Phil Lawrence’s epic test-piece, Gregoritas, in a joint concert with local band Norfolk Wherry Brass in the stunning venue of St. Andrew’s Hall, Norwich on Saturday 28 January.

Having already premiered one of Phil’s pieces this year the band was keen to take on the challenge of Gregoritas which has, until now, only been performed with great success and acclaim in Australia and New Zealand by the Hawthorn Band and Trusts Waitakere respectively.

Said Band Manager Tabby Clegg: “Phil’s music has encapsulated the band with its mix of fiendish writing, intrigue and comedy and Gregoritas presents the new challenge of sophistication and style with its clever mix of Gregorian chant versus the traditional idiom of brass bands. It will be a privilege to give the UK premiere and work with Phil and whilst we are honoured to have this opportunity and perform new music by such a reputed composer, I can’t believe that no band has accepted the challenge before now.”

Said Phil Lawrence: “I’m over the moon that Yorkshire Co-op have taken on the UK premier of Gregoritas. I consider them to be one of the most forward thinking bands in the UK and not because they have chosen my work, but because of their policy to seek out new works and composers other than our established brass band composers. Tabby Clegg is undoubtedly the mastermind behind this direction and policy and takes it on with a passion and razor sharp professionalism! Gregoritas is more than a test; its symphonic proportions will stretch any band on the planet to the limits of technique, endurance, and musical interpretation. I cannot wait to be there!

The concert is hosted by up and coming band Norfolk Wherry Brass, who make their debut appearance at the National Finals this weekend. Delighted at the opportunity to work alongside Yorkshire Co-op, Norfolk Wherry Chairman, Mike Thorn thought of no better location than the magnificent St. Andrew’s Hall.

The event is being promoted by a new company called Broadland Music, based in Norwich and this concert will be the first in its new concert series that brings prestigious bands and soloists to East Anglia.

Tickets are available now by ‘phoning the box office free on 0800 783 7682, or you can buy online at www.broadlandmusic.co.uk.

Tabby Clegg
    September 2005