Yorkshire - Championship

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by MRSH, Mar 7, 2004.

1. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

1. Yorkshire Building Society, Professor David King, 14, 197
    2. Black Dyke, Dr. Nicholas Childs, 7, 194
    3. Brighouse & Rastrick, James Gourlay, 9, 192
    4. Sellers International, Philip McCann, 4, 191
    5. Grimethorpe Colliery (UK Coal), Frank Renton, 2, 189
    6. Rothwell Temperance, David Roberts, 12, 187
    7. Pennine Brass, Ian Porthouse, 10, 185
    8. Carlton Main Frickley Colliery, William Rushworth , 1, 184
    9. Hepworth (Persimmon Homes), Mark Bentham, 11, 183
    10. Innovate Skelmanthorpe, Kevin Wadsworth, 15, 182
    11. Stocksbridge, Derek Renshaw, 3, 179
    12. Lindley, Neil Jowett, 8, 177
    13. Yorkshire Imperial Urquhart Travel, David Evans, 13, 176
    14. Knottingley Silver, Kevin Belcher, 5, 175
    15. Chapeltown Silver Prize, Ian Scott, 6, 173

Best instrumentalist: Soprano, YBS, Peter Roberts
    Best Soloist: Tenor Horn, YBS, Sheona White

Courtesy of 4BarsRest
  2. yorkyboy

yorkyboy Member

Having made some quick calculations Pennine Brass and Yorkshire Imps should be relgated from Championship Section as Knottingley and Chapeltown will get a reprieve due to it being there first year in the section
  3. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

Damn!! I knew I should have inclluded YBS!!! Oh well 2 outta 3 ain't bad!
  4. Hilary Mateer

Hilary Mateer Member

Is that right? I thought we were down :(
    And I missed the top C# :cry:
  5. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Just home, been there all day, i have to say YBS were

AWESOME No kiding they really were!!!
  6. Griffis

Griffis Member

Just got home to North Wales after being part of the YBS band for the first time (I was debuting today) and I have to say that the band did play very well...obviously there were one or two blips and blobs but overall the band sounded good and all the soloists played extremely well. The sort-ov cadenza sections were truly magnificent today and I can only say that I am roud to be part of such a team with so many high profile players.
  7. Steve

Steve Active Member

Five points between 1st and 3rd, YBS must have been damn good then!!
  8. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Understatement of the year. They were awesome. I've never heard anything like it. Top class playing. Congrats to all at YBS, Amazing.
  9. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

nothing to add, you said it all...! :p ditto... (cept for the north wales bit ;))
  10. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Having played off number 12, I only got to hear YBS & Skelmanthorpe.

After a hairy start by their standards (and a soloist coming in a bar early before T2) YBS performance developed into something very special. 'Man' of the match for me was Shoena White who is a very special player! The band once again proved my notion that there are many great bands around (Yorkshire heard most of them yesterday) but for the corporate sound and style they produce consistently, they are number one for me.

I was pleased that we got within 10 points of them!

11. yr_epa

yr_epa Member

Fair play to YBS! I listened to their rehearsal on Tuesday night and must admit they were very good on Tuesday. Thank god I put them first in the predictions! Got the three bands in the top three correct, but not in the correct order! doh!
  12. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Congratulations to all at YBS for a great performance yesterday - I think that one will be remembered as an all-time classic!

For what its worth, I had Brighouse second then Black Dyke, but I placed Hepworth much higher than the ninth place they received.

Well done to Rothwell too, who I also put in the frame. Fester was awesome as usual.

13. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

my tMP prediction was YBS, B+R then Dyke...
    Didn't make it over to watch in the end cos we had rehearsal earlier in the day and that knackered me out...
    Anyhoo, congrats to YBS, who I'm sure played a stormer, as always...

Aaaah, should be a nice happy band rehearsal in uni this morning :D 8)

Cheers Straightmute,

I spoke to many people yesterday with the same thoughts as yourself, we also thought that we had put in a top draw performance, not only as a band but with each soloist having a phenomenal cadenza section. This was what the adjudicators said they were looking for in their post contest remarks, however, that's contesting for you!

Congrats to all the bands who were placed and to YBS & Brighouse on qualification. (Fingers crossed that YBS, Brighouse & Dyke all pre qualify next year to give us all a better chance next time round!)

Dave Horan
    Hepworth Band
  15. Mike S

Mike S Member

I heard all the bands yesterday except Brighouse and I think the adjudicators got the result spot on. YBS were in a different class, although not without slips including the entry one bar early by the solo cornet and not many flugel players managed that awkard interval in the first solo. Dyke were good in many parts but the flugel had an awful first solo and the soprano was not heard in many of the key parts. There were two magnificent soprano performances yeterday, one from Pete Roberts with YBS and one from the soprano with Rothwell Temperance. Grimethorpe suffered as much from an early draw as anything else. The rest of the results were reasonably fair.
  16. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

Congratulations to YBS and Dyke and well done to Pete and Sheona for their awards. The piece is made for them.

I must say how sorry I am for Sellers. Correct me if I am wrong (and I may well be) but that's two years in a row that Sellers have just missed out on the Finals.

Hard lines Hepworth as well.
  17. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Congrats to YBS. They were streets ahead of anyone else on the day. I personally had Brighouse ahead of Dyke, but depends on wether you prefered the faster interpretation B&R did. Also thought Hepworth would come a bit higher than they did.
  18. deave

deave Member

Yeh, thats right ! Happy with result, but we'd love to have the chance to go to London. Good luck at your areas

Deave-3rdman sellers
  19. ibrox

ibrox Member

To win by that margin and still have a few hairy moments can't be bad! Well done YBS.

Anyone able to add more to the earlier comment concerning the adjudicator's post-contest comments?

Sop - KM Medway
  20. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Upon listening to Messers Read and Roe last night, I was initially concerned that they were judging via the 'split count'. My band felt it had turned in a very good strong performance but wondered whether the odd clip amongst the soloists would seriously affect our placing. As it was we got 6th and we pleased to have another frame placing.

As for our remarks - it was suggested by both judges that we had some slips but they seemed to say that they were insignificant in the whole picture because they felt the whole shape was very good and the soloists were to be commended for their approach.

I spoke to a well known adjudicator within the audience afterwards and he felt there had been a number of bands who had soloists who were clean, but had sacrificed musical shape and flow for it to be safe and glitch-free. He said this resulted in a alot passionless performances. I cannot fully comment as I arrived for my band to play 12th and only heard YBS & Skelmanthorpe.

Upon hearing the winners, there were one or two mishit and conked notes from one or two of the soloists early on, but the overall musical picture was absolutely tremendous. The sound quality and ensemble work was magnificent from all concerned. By the time they had finished the cadenza section it wasn't a question of who had won, but how loud the audience would cheer!