Yorkshire C.C.C.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by starperformer, Aug 11, 2006.

1. starperformer

starperformer Member

What a ****ing pitiful year this one has been. Not just really incompetent cricket, but also precious little heart or team spirit on display in most of the performances

I reckon if we can stay up in the championship and continue to be a hindrance to Lancashire in all competitions like we have been so far, then the season won't have been a complete disaster.
  2. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Ah well, SP, nice to see you contributions in the Sports category will be as well balanced as those in the music related fora. :biggrin:

C'mon, Essex! (who knew Gough was worth a punt...)
  3. Just a quick point, Yorkshire made the highest ever score in the Pro-40 league (granted, its only a few months old, but you gotta start somewhere...) 284-3 against Somerset.
    Another sad note, thank you Darren Lehmann, who is retiring at the end of this season, a fantastic player and captain (also world cup winner with the Aussies in 2003), he will be missed, coming in at number 4 and blazing away as he does in all forms of the game.

Andy, yorkshire tea, thats champion!
  4. starperformer

starperformer Member

so... one game left and its still in our hands. this is great news (not to say that we'll do it but at least the season is still interesting). kudos to the two young leggies who i think are good prospects for the future. but there will have to be some serious rebuilding next year - the only yorkshire players who did well in yorkshire matches this season are the ones we released last year, playing against us. and we don't half have some **** players hanging around.

PLUS looks like the lancy bottlers will be missing out in all competitions yet again despite the biggest budget and the loudest talk. the C&G final was the highlight of course, but they really should have been able to overhaul sussex's collection of journeymen with the players they have.
  5. starperformer

starperformer Member

also managed to be by far the worst team in the country in this competition - but then who really cares about the pro40 league?

"pro40 - twenty20's big brother"
    "pro40 - like twenty20 but far less interesting, you can't go after work, and noone can even remember whether this even is a pro40 game or whether its a dead rubber in the C&G zonal league"
    i think the extra hoarding space would be worth it to avoid trading standards legislation.

6. And we proved it by coming bottom of the pile for the first time ever!! :frown:

Andy, warming up his G&M bat in case of a recall
  7. Will the Sec

Yorkshire. Strongest team in the league. Holding up all the others...

(Thus quoth Freddie Trueman, RIP, about 1979, after countless other people using it as football gag.)
  8. starperformer

starperformer Member

Darren Lehmann is a complete legend. how about that for a way to sign off in your last ever county game, becoming only the 5th yorkshire player to hit 300, in such a key game.

i think we now have this in the bag (staying up) - we are now 3.5 pts ahead of them, so we need only to take 3 wickets before Durham get to 350, and 6 wickets before they get to 400, to have the upper hand in bonus points.

meanwhile sussex are ticking along nicely - what a shame it would be if they were to pip lancashire yet again!
  9. Will the Sec

Nice to see that one of the longest standing cricket records, Yorkshire's highest individual score, will be broken by an Australian...

Hirst and Rhodes will be turning in their Kirkheaton graves.
  10. starperformer

starperformer Member

well that wasn't to be - but 339 is still a half-decent knock. shame, he would have deserved the record.
  11. Will the Sec

Just goes to show - no such thing as a certainty in cricket.
  12. starperformer

starperformer Member

...whoever we sign next year won't be anywhere near as good?
  13. 1st Position

1st Position Member

Where have we heard that before?

Ah, yes the season before Lehmann came over.

The season hasn't been anywhere near as good as we thought it would be back in April, but there again it could have been worse. And given the amount of injury and international call ups, the season could and probably should have been long over. So lets enjoy this last bit of success, before the great game shuts down until the next snow is forecast - in April 2007.
  14. Will the Sec

I'm kinda hoping that some young English qualified talent will come through in Yorkshire, but especially in counties where Kolpak is seen as man worthy of a national holiday. (Including Essex...)
  15. starperformer

starperformer Member

well the academy setup at headingley is now excellent - but the problem with the 2 divisions is that when we were down in the 2nd, quite a few of the talented players left, often to be replaced by bits and pieces journeymen.
    there is still a huge untapped pool of incredibly talented british asians playing club cricket in yorkshire (and some other counties) who will end up being the future of the game in this country.
  16. Will the Sec

Quite agree. The amount of talent on show in the East and North London Asian Leagues is phenomenal. There is a lot of isolationism amongst Asian teams, due to "other" clubs becoming fed up with "dodgy umpiring" and outright cheating (such as playing unregistered international cricketers in league games). It is sad to say that from my experience, some of the complaints were justified.

I'm certain that if these problems were addressed rather than teams just refusing to play against Asian teams, and county cricket was seen as being friendlier to ethnic minorites in the early 80s, then at least two people who repeatedly carted my bowling (and others) over the years would have played for England by the end of the eighties.

I will follow the careers of Varun Chopra, Ravi Bopara, Samit Patel and Adil Rashid with interest.

Incidentally, a player from one of the local Asian teams, Three Caps, has been identified as England's great hope as a mystery spinner. (First is Sachin, will find his surname later.) His wrist is as flexible as Murali's, so we'll see. Hopefully, he'll be as talented overall, and as humble as Mushy.
  17. starperformer

starperformer Member

probably the best known north london asian league is called the "middlesex county cricket league". cheeky chirpy cockney participation is dead and rotting on its feet.

had the Bopara experience first hand a couple of years ago in a club game. lesson: not all of these guys are as bad as Sajid Mahmood.
  18. Will the Sec

Nope. Have to go back to form and disagree on that, SP.
  19. yorkshires lost a lot of quality players over the last 6 years or so, real shame to be honest, lehmans quality and will be missed im sure, last legend to leave us since gough i reckon, but if we still keep bringing up some quality players and get a good replacement in for lehman then we'll be fine

look at it this way, think about all the yorkshire players who have been capped by england, 2 of them being very successful in recent years, bar this last year for the mighty mick vaughan, blasted injuries, hope he comes back soon!
  20. What The Hells That Bloke Doin, Coming To Ycc As Captain And Coach, And Then ******s Off Back Home, Well Stay Away, We Dont Want Ya, Bring In Someone Who Will Actually Give A Damn!