Yorkshire Areas 2014

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by LittleEuph, Mar 1, 2014.

1. LittleEuph

LittleEuph Member

Can anyone confirm why Wakefield Metropolitan have been disqualified from the 1st section?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Yorkshire
    Wakefield Metropolitan
    Yorkshire Areas
    section
  3. ive "heard" there was registration problems. anyone confirm?

4. Bandsman99

Bandsman99 New Member

According to 4barsrest it was contravention of registry rule 9a although when i look on BBBP website there is no rule 9a so I am none the wiser, just wish someone would come up with the facts so we can all check and make sure we are not doing anything wrong, would hate to get to blackpool after weeks of rehearsals and find out we are stuffed by a technicallity.

5. LittleEuph

LittleEuph Member

6. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Isn't that your contest secretary's job, to know all the rules and follow them?
    Imho it doesn't really matter why a band has been disqualified, as long as it was a bone fide rule that we all know about.

FWIW, if your area is next weekend then registrations had to be processed by YESTERDAY.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  7. ChrisHatch

ChrisHatch Member

It's a mistake that's it is more easy to make with transfers. These only become active 28 days after it's received by BBP so they would have needed to have been in 5 weeks before the contest.

8. Bandsman99

Bandsman99 New Member

Accidental..... I am the contest secretary and i think i do know all the rules but with any new organisation then there can be circumstances that you may not have come across before so although it sounds as though Wakefield were very unfortunate yesterday then if I can learn from that and ensure that it we are clear on what is required then I am going to do so.

9. Accidental

No disagreement from me there Bandsman, but surely the best way to ensure you're clear on what's required is to ensure you know all the rules and stick to them?

I just don't think its particularly relevant, or fair on the band in question, to be discussing an individual case here when the people involved haven't posted anything on the subject themselves.

10. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

As far as I can see, the discussion is around why it happened - so that others can make sure they don't fall foul of it.
    The reason people are asking is, as you put it yourself: "to ensure you know all the rules and stick to them", not to throw accusations at the band in question (as far as I can see, noone is doing such a thing).

Ofcourse if every contest secretary knew the rules inside out, it wouldn't be an issue... but it's a voluntary position (and often one of those "Ok, if nobody else will do it I'll have to" jobs), so if there's a pitfall that people haven't been aware of then a polite and respectful discussion is beneficial.

11. Accidental

I never said anything about accusations, but until we know for sure what rule or 'pitfall' did lead to the disqualification then there's nothing to discuss - and I don't think I've said anything impolite or disrespectful but apologies if anything has come across that way.

I'm sorry but I don't think speculation about another band's misfortunes on a public forum is fair (or polite or respectful...) when they clearly aren't talking about it themselves.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Yorkshire
    Wakefield Metropolitan
    Yorkshire Areas
    section
  13. Bandsman99

Bandsman99 New Member

Thank you Tom, those were my only reasons for posting.............. although you have put it far more eloquantly than I ever could.
    ;)

P.S. Good luck to all bands competing in their respect areas.

14. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

My point was that unless people were casting accusations at the band in question (which they aren't), there's nothing unfair in discussing possible reasons behind disqualifications generally and indeed it may help others avoid problems.
    As far as I can see, the only reason to object to this discussion is if others were casting accusations... and since they aren't...

The incident in question simply serves to bring up the question - and possible answers to it. The band in question is under no obligation to come on here and fill us in (if there are even active members of this board who play for that band, I don't know), and nor are any of us under any obligation to wait until such time as they do to discuss it.

The discussion, young as it is, seems focused on the why, not the who... about disqualifications and how to avoid them, not slating another band or in any other way being derogatory about their misfortunes.

I respect your opinion, but I think you're seeing malice where this is none - people want to avoid these sorts of problems, so when they come up ofcourse they want to understand them (especially relatively soon after organisational changes around registration etc).

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  15. Accidental

not seeing malice, or accusations, just think this is incredibly unfair on the band in question - and the OP in this thread IS very specifically about them, not general. If something like this went wrong with my band I sure as hell wouldn't want to see it being 'discussed' on a public forum!

Anyhoo, I'm out. Lets just agree to disagree :)

16. st magnus

st magnus New Member

Away from the issue above what a great top section we heard on sunday not a bad performance to be heard and the top 4 were outstanding. The music was a test indeed and as the judges said all thirteen deserve credit and well done to all especially the top 4

17. ghost

ghost Member

I completely agree. A brilliant section. The bands which got highest places played as well as it is humanly possible to play. And the others were of the highest standard and worthy of podium places in many other areas I am certain. Thank you to the players, MD's, organisers and everyone else involved - it was a titanic competition. And a special thank you to the people of Yorkshire who made us very welcome and looked after us superbly - as they always do.:clap: Banding at its best and a credit to the movement.

18. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Sounds as though Sunday evening in particular was something very special. A great piece of music and superb performances. Were there any official recordings made? I'm not the least bit interested in listening to "rubbish" recordings on YouTube etc. but would relish the chance to buy excellent and official recordings of the top few performances at least.

19. bannisa

bannisa Member

Hi John,

Each band was given an official recording. There is a link on our Facebook page. The recording balance isn't great though. Other bands may have posted their performances too.

Andy Bannister B&R

20. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Thanks Andy. Too bad about the balance; I'll have a listen.

21. Neillyboy

Neillyboy Member

The soundcloud recording of b+R is not a bad recording at all.,

22. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

One of them has been "remastered". I think the tinny original is there too.