York YTH-3050 Preference

Discussion in 'theMouthPiece.com User Reviews' started by RoseAmongHorns, Apr 6, 2008.

1. RoseAmongHorns

RoseAmongHorns New Member

I am looking for "testimonials" regarding the York YTH-3050. I am currently playing a borrowed Wison right now; it's an absolutely amazing horn.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Wison
    York YTH
    amazing horn
    borrowed Wison
    testimonials
  3. emziesonic

emziesonic Member

I don't know whether this will help or not but at the beginning of last month i bought the York YTH-3049 and overall...i love it!:D The overall sound is alot better than my last horn which was a yamaha maestro and the 'smoothness' of the sound is better. The tuning can sometimes be a bit iffy but thats probably just me. But with the 3050 model it would probably be improved as it has the added trigger feature. Another good feature is that however hard you press the valves down they never make a sound, or when the things which screw on the valves (don't know what there called:oops: ) come loose they don't make a sound either! If your considering buying one i would go for it, i presume the 3049 model is similar to the 50 model so hopefully i'm not too far off the mark of what its like...i hope this helps:tup

4. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

It took a 3050 on trial towards the end of last year, with the opinion that 'anything would be better than my current horn, and to be quite honest, it was a shocker.
    It has an excellent middle register, aside from the middle G being as flat as a pancake and the A above it (along with every other A on the instrument) being really sharp. In this register it blows like a dream, unfortunately the same couldn't be said for the rest of the instrument. High register was easy to produce but seemed to require a rediculous ammount of air putting through in comparisson to other registers and tone was very thin. Low to pedal register was fine in terms of sound and production but suffered from bad tuning issues like the rest of the instrument.
    The introduction of the trigger was a nice touch and it wasn't in an awkward location like the photo's of the prototype had indicated, but the only usefulness it served for me was to attempt to keep it in tune with itself. After around 3 weeks I went back to my own old tin pot, which although a very poor horn was a clear winner in comparisson and now (still) eagerly awaiting the release of the prestige and xeno.

Apparently the York is being redone/re-released sometime? Or has it been done already?

5. RoseAmongHorns

Polar Opposites

Wow! Two totally different opinions; I'm thoroughly confused. I think what I've learned is that I need to make a trip to our "local" supplier (2.5 hours away) and try one for myself. I'm currently borrowing an unbelievable Wilson (I may have mentioned that) but I don't think it will be for sale. Thank you to you both for your insights. I hope to hear more input from others to help to inform my search for a horn.

6. deb tenor horn

deb tenor horn New Member

I,m confused also!

Denton band is looking to buy a new horn. I play an old Soverign which is a great instrument but the valves arnt as good as they were.
    Whats the best around now,York or Soverign?
    I've been trying a york and the sound is good, easy to play and top register is great, but valves are sluggish, is this because it is new. Yet to try a new soverign.
    Look forward to hearing your views,

Deb

7. emziesonic

emziesonic Member

Yeah my valves were like that too at the beginning they just need aa bit of breaking in:D after a month or so they are fine.

8. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

Depends on how much you can afford to splash out. If you have a decent budget, I'd wait for the xeno or prestige to be released. If not, (assuming your 'old soverign' is an old "round stamp" B&H) get your valves repaired as yours is probably a fair bit better than the modern instruments on release at the moment.

9. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

See if you can get the dealer to send you one on trial for a few weeks+.
    You would need that to get used to the instruement. Often when you get a new instrument that you want to be better, your first reaction will be "ooh this is good", even if it's not!

10. RoseAmongHorns

Wonderful Willson News!

Hi Aiden,
    It is interesting how things work out. In April I borrowed a friend's Willson for a concert series. Needless to say, I loved the horn. Around the same time, I got a phone call from a friend who told me that someone was selling an immaculate, used Willson tenor on consignment at a fairly local shop. I was going to that town that very weekend for a conference, so I stopped in, and yes, I bought the Willson. It is in perfect shape, plays beautifully in tune, and I am the happiest tenor in Pennsylvania, USA. :clap: And to top it off, I only paid $1800 USD for it!

That's my story. Thanks for all your help.
    RoseAmongHorns