York Euphoniums!

Discussion in 'theMouthPiece.com User Reviews' started by Welsheuphoniummanjamie, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Does anyone have a York euphonium? I’m currently using a prestige, but I would just like to know what the new 'York' Euphoniums are like and whether I should contemplate getting one :confused: ,

Many Thanks

Jamie

2. ydave

ydave New Member

Hello Jamie
    This is an extract from an article/ Thread I've just put out on a few sites:

York Preference 3067 The Larger bell & lead pipe version. Tried a new one in early 2007 & in September 2007, very similar to a new 967 that I was trying at the same time. Well known player No.8: Preference nothing special not tried Eminence yet. Well known player No.9: Preference is a good instrument but he hadn’t tried the Eminence.

York Eminence 4052 October 2007 tried Dave Thornton’s at Dyke, direct comparison to my 1980 Sovereign & 2006 167 II, then played a virtuoso 30 min after:
    Sound/ Lyrical: Very Good but not as dark as1980 Sovereign & 2006 167 II. But it sang!
    Articulation: Very good, clear.
    Top end: Very easy, sings. More in tune than 2006 167 II.
    Pedals: Good, more open than I remember 2007 Prestige being.
    Flexibility: Very good, much better than 1980 Sovereign & 2006 167 II.
    Slotting: Played itself! Effortless compared to 1980 Sovereign & 2006 167 II.
    Valves: Very light & fast (small trad. Besson size), the 1st valve kept sticking for me, but it didn’t seem to for Dave.
    Intonation: Sounded good, Trigger very light & fast, similar to Prestige.
    Finish: Very good, black trim looked good.
    Other: Heavy, from memory- similar to new Prestige. Well known player No.11: Prestige & Eminence are the best. Well known player No. 4 & 11: Preferred the Eminence as they believe it is darker (this doesn’t ring true to my control instruments) & keeps the sound as it is blown hard. They both thought the Prestige had got a little too big. Instrument Manufactuer: York instruments use the old Besson valves! Not as well engineered as the Prestige. Well known player No.4: A lot of time went into leadpipe & bell selection. The Factory in Germany sounds very impressive- size, precision, cleanliness & quality.

Its definately in the ball park with the New Prestige but you need to try them back to back....
    easier said!........

Good luck
    Dave

3. :tup Thanks that is fantastic! Thats really helped me thanks for your time! :tup

4. Chris Thomas

Chris Thomas Member

I sit behind a York player in my band. It sounds fab!

5. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

As going by your playing experience that your getting taught at the minute by David Childs, would he not be the one to ask to get some opinions and maybe get a shot of his.....?!!!

6. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

I think it could be fab no matter what manufacture it was somehow! ;) :biggrin:

chris

7. Awsum would be a better word!:tup

8. break-off

are york just a break-off of some other company? just a rumor that i've heard :confused:

9. dyl

dyl Active Member

A better word? It's not even a proper word!

10. I am terribly sorry, I will loose hours of sleep over my mistake!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    FONT=Tahoma
    York
    York Euphoniums
    FONT
    Tahoma
  12. HBB

HBB Active Member

Don't even bother trying Jamie - he'll always 'win'!

13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- it's actually included as a 'word' in this dictionary! :cool:

14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

One question regarding the cosmetic finish of some of the York instruments ... Is the 'candle-smoke' effect that I saw pictured at the top of the valve casings an option or not? Something I don't like the look of I'm afraid!

15. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

York -- rumors only here -- but somewhat reliable.

Some of the old Besson employees were involved and approached Schreiber & Keilwerth Musikinstrumente GmbH and from there, supposedly the old Besson sound can be found in the York.

David Childs' endorsement along with Black Dyke and Cory says a lot. Of course, all of these players would sound good on toy instruments. But since they can get what they want, it seems to be a strong endorsement.

16. Andrew Tossell

Andrew Tossell New Member

I have just had a new prestige for Christmas, and think the instrument is superb. I have been playing a prestige for the last 4 years but his one is so much better. The build quality is excellent and the valves are very smooth. I did not try any others before this one but did try other makes before I bought my old prestige. If my new prestige gives me the enjoyment and longevity of my old one I will be very happy.

17. bejohans

bejohans New Member

York Preference sounds fantastic but suffers from poor valves and building quality.

Buffet Besson Sovereign . Superb valves, harder than York to get in tune, really well built

18. pdj

pdj Member

I know this is a thread fro York Euphs but would just like to say i have had two new York Preference 3 valve baritones in the past 4 months and have found their valves are awful esp the 1st valve. It seems to have a tight spot on it and grinds when pressing down. Is it a defect???? who knows but put it this way i aint going to get it replaced with another York baritone!!!!

19. catto09

catto09 Member

I've found this on the Prestige Euphonium i'm using actually, it is one of the first ones though, so maybe they're using the same thing? Either way, it's becoming increasingly anoying!

20. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

I sold (before my illness and I had to shut down my store) several York instruments. I left a long list for the new owner on how to "break" the valves in. I also gave them two or three bottles of the new Denis Wick valve oil or Zaja Blue valve oil. Both have teflon in them.

The tolerances are tight - very tight. This is done so that 20 to 30 years from now you will not be paying for a valve job.

The York has a one year warranty. Have York fix the valve then use Denis Wick valve oil on all the valves each time you play and at least once an hour whether they fell like they need it or not. Synthetic oil is a penetrating oil, and it CLEANS and lubricates.

These fine new instruments are very tight. You must "overdo" cleaning and oiling until the valves break in and even after that if you want an instrument that looks and plays like new 15 years later.

Jim

21. matty1986

matty1986 Member

I tried a couple of different yorks and I got a "buzzing" coming from the trigger system when I played, and it was really evident in the higher octaves. I also had similar problems on new build prestiges.

So in the end i've settled for a Wilson 2960TA (the new model with a more brass band sound). It's a higher price than the York or Besson, but the instruments are hand made and i've had no problems with it so far, intonation is good, trigger system is smooth and no buzzing, nice fast silent vales. Works for me!!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    FONT=Tahoma
    York
    York Euphoniums
    FONT
    Tahoma