York Euphonium - daft question

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Blagger, May 12, 2009.

1. Blagger

Blagger Member

Had my new euph for a week or so now - but have one (probably being thick here) question -

What is the extra rounded metal "paddle" for that's popped into the accessory compartment ?
    Am thinking its a guard for when you remove the plastic trigger shield ??
    :confused:
    Never thought to ask when i picked it up.

2. Blagger

Blagger Member

So nobody knows then.......... ;)

3. Eddy1234567

Eddy1234567 Member

yeah its instead of the plastic shield...
    say if u dont like the plastic you use that instead
    just got one of the new prestiges a month or two ago and comes with one aswell
    how does the york blow?

4. Blagger

Blagger Member

Very well - takes a great deal more air than my old sov 967 - similar sound tho slighlty darker i think. Very heavy - played a Prestige in the shop and it was very similar to be honest. The York just seemed to be slightly more free blowing and sat easier on my lap.
    Shame i couldnt have both ;)

5. Despot

Despot Member

Yep, in case you don't like the shield. But I can understand the question, when I got my instrument, I had to pause before I figured out what it was!

I use "the paddle" on my Prestige as I prefer it, but also to fit into a Hiscox case I have, I had to take the plastic sheild off.

6. nevillebros

nevillebros New Member

On Prestiege Euphs there is a gold plated guard about the size of your thumb that fits in a holder on the main / trigger slide receiver, that's what it could be.

7. Blagger

Blagger Member

Thanks for the replies .
    Am thinking of making a slighlty longer one out of perspex myself as even when I use the shield the main slide catches on clothing and doesnt come back up. Perhaps this is because I hold it very close - i dont know - doesnt seem to do the job properly IMO.
    Anybody else found this?

8. Eddy1234567

Eddy1234567 Member

yep know exactally what you mean haha
    i also find when i stand up i have to take the palstic of as it diggs into me
    and i agree with having to put more air in ... my 967 was great but this is much harder tho i find the sound more rewarding

9. catto09

catto09 Member

i had one of these instruments for 2 weeks on trial a couple of months back, loved it, but unfortunately finances didn't allow me the purchase :(. Back to the band's prestige for me. Not much difference tbh, the york felt better built though, but then again this was one of the original Prestige's :tup