York eminence cornet main tuning slide trigger

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Jack, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Jack

Jack Member

About two months ago I bought an ex demonstrator York eminence cornet. It was like new and in excellent condition... I love the instrument but recently the main tuning slide trigger has started to stick occasionally... Sometimes it just won't move unless I stop playing and make it move or sometimes it will just not go fully back in after using it... I'm posting to see if anyone else has experienced this problem and how they sorted it?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    York
    York eminence cornet main
    main tuning slide trigger
    ex demonstrator York eminence cornet
    instrument
  3. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

What are you using on the slide? Most slide creams / greases are waaay too thick for the spring to have enough strength to pull the slide back in.

4. simonium

simonium Member

I would suggest using something like Trombotine on the main tuning slide. Trombone gels are too thin to be useful and tuning slide grease too thick but a trombone cream should provide exactly the right amount of lubrication. I've used it very successfully on my triggered euphonium.

5. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

Mine will 'catch' occasionally but I find the trick is to keep it clean and lightly oiled. The best stuff I've found is Websters Tuning Slide Oil - I also use it on the other triggered slide.

I also push the slide in after using the cornet, so the inner never gets chance to dry out and tarnish.

Andy

6. Jack

Jack Member

I have been using "premium" slide grease from windcraft. It works fine on my 3rd slide... Never had any problems with it always worked perfectly...

7. Jack

Jack Member

Thanks for the suggestion I will give it a try

8. My friend had the same problem, just make sure the slide is well lubricated and it should be fine.
    Most Trombone slide oils or creams seems to work well, but not too much as to slow the action (also works well on York Euphs triggers by the way!)

9. JonBond

JonBond Member

Agreed - websters tuning slide oil does the trick on my Eminence. Also important to push the slide in each time you pack it away.

10. cockaigne

cockaigne Member

It sounds like you're still playing the instrument in (from your description) in which case there may be some slack in the linkage - this can make it feel like the slide is sticking, even though it's more a problem with moving parts jamming slightly. I should say I don't know the instrument and set-up of the trigger mechanism in this case, but we often find similar problems with the triggers and linkages for rotary valves on trombones.

So, it may be worth checking whether anything in the linkage needs tightening up and/or oiling - for oil, if needed, use linkage oil (bass trombonists are a good starting point for this) as valve oil is too light and won't last long to be of much use.

Just a thought...

11. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

Ive not played now for quite a few years and at the risk of sounding stupid, why would you want a trigger on your main tuning slide ? valve slides yes, but the main tuning slide ?

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    York
    York eminence cornet main
    main tuning slide trigger
    ex demonstrator York eminence cornet
    instrument
  13. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

To my mind, it makes more sense to have one on the main slide than one (or two) on valve slides - because you can use the main trigger to change the tuning of any note that you could use a valve trigger for. It's a more versatile tool. About the only downside I can see is that there are some occasions where you move quickly back and forth between low C and D - a 3rd slide trigger can be left out for the notes that don't use the 3rd valve while a main slide trigger must be adjusted for every note.

14. Ianroberts

exactly ! just sounds a bit like technology for the sake of it to me

15. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Just a different way of doing things. I think the upsides (able to tune any note regardless of fingering) outweigh the one downside (as above).

Maybe they should build cornets with a compensating system!

16. Ianroberts

I guess im just old fashioned !

someone invent the wheel next !

17. Ianroberts

or a thingy bob, that attaches to the instrument that holds your music when you march !:sup:sup:sup

18. AndrewL

AndrewL Member

It also has a 3rd valve trigger. The main tuning slide is instead of the 1st valve trigger. Not everyone agrees on whether this is an improvement over the old 1st and 3rd valve trigger set up.

19. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

Actually, you're all wrong. The purpose of the main slide trigger is simply so you can bend a tuning note and create a horrendous dischord when the MD is trying to tune the band. Of course, this may result in a smack upside the head ;-)

Andy

20. AndrewL

AndrewL Member

I'll have to try that and see if our MD notices!

21. cockaigne

cockaigne Member

Of course, anyone who really wants to play in tune should play the trombone... ;)