Yoghurt/yogurt

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Robhibberd29, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Robhibberd29

Robhibberd29 Active Member

I always thought you spelled yoghurt with a "h" in the middle, "yoghurt".

However, every single carton of the stuff I've seen spells it without the "h" as "yogurt".

I can search on google and it comes up both ways, so what's the story?
    What's happening with this mysterious optional "h"???

2. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

According to my dictionary, both ways are correct!

Yogurt, or Yoghurt - then the description.

Personally, I always spell it with the 'H', though I have no idea where this has evolved from, seems like a bit of an anomaly?

3. needmorevodka

needmorevodka Member

I always spell it with an 'h' too. On Total Greek Yoghurt it has the 'h' on the carton. I like that, particularly with lashings of honey mmm. I think I'll be sticking with the 'h' spelling myself :)

4. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Oh, a wild stab in the dark would suggest you look westwards. :)

The word Yoghurt is originally derived from the Turkish yogurt. The letter "g" is usually transcribed to "gh" in translations of Turkish. The former spelling is principally in use in Western Europe with the latter being used in the USA and Canada.

5. Robhibberd29

I thought Turkey was East of here not west John?? ;-)

It still doesn't answer the question why we have both words in use, as we do today when other words derived from older languages have settled on one spelling. I know there's words like colour/color but that's a quite clear distinction between europe and the U.S.

6. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

That never even dawned on me, so technically we should lose the 'h'?

In saying that, color and colour have different places in my (Collins concise) dictionary, where yogurt and yoghurt do not.

7. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

I don't know about English, but in Dutch the only correct spelling is yoghurt ;)

see also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoghurt (at the bottom of the page)

yoghurt in Turkish is written as yoğurt. The letter ğ is transcribed as gh (although it is not really a consonnant in Turkish - it just prolongs the preceding vowel)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2008
  8. Robhibberd29

Lashings of honey and sticking with the H, ha ha ha very good Becks, whether that was intentional or not :-D

Becky and lashings of honey mmm, blimey what a thought!!!! ;-)

9. needmorevodka

needmorevodka Member

Lol No it wasn't intentional Rob, you know it's past my bedtime, my brain is napping.

And behave you, that's far too gooey :oops:

So anyway, it seems that the gh is correct and a proper translation from the Turkish then. Good, I never thought 'yogurt' looked quite right.

10. Robhibberd29

Hmm not convinced on the finality of it, all the yoghurts ive seen spell it as yogurt and they're made in the EU?? if gh is correct why do they spell it without the h? Why is it in the dictionary both ways??

I agree with you though Becks, yogurt doesn't look right does it! I think it's a conspiracy. I'm sticking with the gh version until the powers that be tell me it's wrong. Plus it means you're getting more for your money ;-)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Yorkshire
    years
    yogurt Ah couple
    Yoghurt
    things
  12. needmorevodka

needmorevodka Member

They're getting it wrong. Or deliberately dumbing it down as seems to be the thing to do these days.

FAGE is a Greek company and they make Greek Yoghurt, they must surely know what they're doing. I hope they do anyway. I don't care what Nestle thinks, I'll take my lead from the Greeks :D

13. Robhibberd29

You don't think it's anything to do with the Turkish/Greek divide do you??

They do like agreeing to disagree don't they, maybe the Turks wanted to change it to no H but the Greeks said no, we're keeping it in, rasperries to you!

14. needmorevodka

needmorevodka Member

Lol no I don't think it's that haha, I don't imagine they're all that bothered what us foreigners make of their funny alphabets :D

15. Robhibberd29

Well it happened with kebabs, you never know!! Funny you should mention about FAGE being a Greek company and spelling it yoghurt on their Total Greek Yoghurt, as Nestle spell theirs Amore Greek Yogurt or did you already know that? incidentally FAGE sell in the USA and call it Total Greek Yogurt there! They also spell it FAGE Total Greek Yogurt in Italy!

16. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

I was of course referring to our cousins across the pond. Anyway go far enough west and you will reach Turkey, eventually. Didn't Magellan prove that? :)

17. Robhibberd29

Ah, right, well if you'd said look west to our cousins that can't spell I would have known what you meant ;-)

Yoghurt=Yogurt
    Colour=Color
    Spanner=Wrench
    Bonnet=Hood
    Boot=Trunk

Could we have a mod that keeps it from not only going off topic but off Continent too? ;-)

(No offence meant to any of our American friends on here, all said in jest :))

18. needmorevodka

needmorevodka Member

Yes I'm aware of all the FAGE stuff, which suggests that here in the UK it must surely be Yoghurt. I can't remember the Italian although I think they also have this with or without thing going on too (I'll have to check with the resident translator in the morning, my own knowledge of Italian is dubious these days), it's probably all down to the individual who translated it.

I didn't know about Nestle but I wouldn't buy it, doesn't seem all that authentic to me.

The resident translator just woke up so I asked. He said if he'd translated it into Italian he would probably have used an h. But then he is English and not American.

19. Robhibberd29

You'd think so wouldn't you but then it begs the question of why the others spell it yogurt here......wasn't fussed myself on the Amore one but will definitely try the FAGE one on your recommendation Becks :)

Wonder if they put a h in it for honey hmmm...... ;-)

20. needmorevodka

needmorevodka Member

Same reason we now get greetings cards that say Nannie and Granddad on instead of the Nanny and Grandad that I grew up with. (How I wish my mother had called herself Grandma when my kids were born!) It'll be foreign influences as usual.

Don't know about h for honey, but they sure do one that already has the honey in. Divine mmm saves faffing around getting all gooey :)

21. Robhibberd29

I certainly wouldn't want you getting all gooey now B, would I :rolleyes:

You would think if it were a foreign influence that we would drop the h then wouldn't you? I like the h in, we may have to form a petition should they deem the h to be redundant. I wondered why the yogurts Ive been having this week didn't taste that good. It's because they didn't have the h in :rolleyes:

Going for my break soon and guess what I've got in my lunchbag....:)

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Yorkshire
    years
    yogurt Ah couple
    Yoghurt
    things