Yet ANOTHER sibelius query

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Maestro, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

I was under the impression that it was possible to save a sib file as a word doc. Is this correct, and if it is, can someone please tell me how to do it?
    I have tried following the manual, but to no avail.
    All help, as usual, greatly appreciated.

2. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Control and A to select all, Control and C to copy, Edit>Select>Graphic -Make sure you can see all the page in the window - resize the graphic to take in all you want to copy, Control and C again, Open MS Word, and Control and V.

3. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Hmm, I didn't know this was possible - although I'm still using quite an old version of Sibelius :oops: so it may have come in at a later version. The best I can find is to capture a screenshot and embed it into a Word document.

To do that, position the score correctly on screen, then hit Shift-Print Screen. Then paste (CTRL-V) into the word document. You can use the picture toolbar to crop and resize the screenshot appropriately.

Edit: Beaten to it, and with a more elegant solution too! :oops:
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2006
  4. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

OK. It is NOT possible to save a Sib file as a word document.

However, what you can do is use the 'copy to clipboard as graphic' option [ALt]g followed by selecting the area you want to copy and pressing [ctrl]c and then pasting into word. This is useful for putting quotations into a word document (or any other document for that matter).

You can alter the resolution of the section by using preferences to anything between 72 and 600dpi. If you set it to 300dpi then set the view to full page, when you paste into word, you should get a pretty decent result.

You could also - if you have a pdf printer (something like ghostscript or pdf995) print to a pdf file and then go on from there.

A final - but very rough and ready - option is to use a screen grabber.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2006
  5. Will the Sec

The end result is a copy of the music in Word, though, right, Mike? Ergo, mayhap your opening line might be a tad pessimistic even if strictly accurate...
  6. I use Sibelius 3, and for the purposes of putting musical examples in essays etc. I go on 'save as graphics', then select 'Microsoft Word TIFF' , then if you go into word you can 'insert' 'picture' 'from file', pick the one you want and it appears as if by magic.

This might not be what you meant at all, but hope it helps!

Also, I might have just repeated what everyone else has suggested on here, in a roundabout sort of way... oops! :)
  7. mikelyons

Ah but what you said was important for sib 3 users! The old system was very clunky because you actually had to save a graphic file before you could import it into word. At least sib 4 can copy to the clipboard and then that can be pasted straight into word.

It is really useful for dissertations and worksheets for the 6th form to be able to do it in the new way.

Now can we just be able to edit the music in word. That would make me a happy bunny!:sup
  8. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Can you not use the object editor in the same way as you would as if you were editing a Spreadsheet object from within Word?

I don't have Sib on my current setup and so cannot test this. If you have Sib, often (though not always) the installation creates an object editor item for use in other applications.
  9. mikelyons

As far as I can see there is not a Sib file object. However, you can insert an object which is a sib file that you can edit by double-clicking. However, on my laptop this does not display a sibelius icon or a thumbnail of the music.

There is a caveat in that you would have to keep both files together to use them, I think, or embed the sib file in Word. And you would also need sibelius on the machine you were doing it from, so to speak.

Word has just locked up, BTW! Thanks John!

I'm not sure what Maestro's purpose is in doing this. He didn't actually explain...
  10. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

The reason I asked this was, so that I could print whatever Sib file I created, from any computer..........or am I way off that mark as well????? Wouldn't be the first time. :oops: :oops:
  11. mikelyons

My advice in that case is to save it as a scorch web page - thinking about it, word 2003 uses xhtml so it might be possible to write a bit of code, similar to what the export as web page option does, to display a sib file in a word doc or save the web page and open it in word. That works, but you still wouldn't be able to edit it.

Gosh! you don't want much do you! :)
  12. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Here we go again folks........

When writing a hi hat part for percussion on Sibelius, on playback it comes out like a sound of Owen's 'magical performing' duck in the Vicar of Dibley. Anybody know how to get a hi hat type sound please?

Thanks as always.....

13. Will the Sec

For Sib4 (and 3 if memory serves)

House Style/Edit staff types/Percussion button/5 line drum set/edit.

Pick the note, and alter its properties within the window.

Good luck!
  14. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

If you have adobe acrobat (or any PDF creator) your best bet is to print it to a PDF file. Then you will have no formating issues and you can print the file on any PC with Acrobat Reader, which is a free download.. I print my Sib scores and parts at work and have to create PDFs to do that, because I haven't got Sib on my work PC.
  15. MarkGillatt

MarkGillatt Member

PDF 995 is a free app that will do just that find it here
  16. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Here we go again.......

When recording something onto Sibelius, is there anyway that it will record the actual drum sound/rhythm from the preset buttons on the keyboards?

As always, all help greatly appreciated folks.

PS. Mike and Will.....don't worry, I am keeping a tab on all the amounts of alcohol I am owing you :eek: :eek:
  17. Will the Sec

I've never dabbled with MIDI sort of things, Kev, sorry.
  18. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

You should... ;)
  19. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

I've always done what 'i love my trombone' as microsoft word TIFF in 'Save as graphics file' when I've run out of ink and had to print at work (I can't even install scorch at work!)

When I ran out of Black ink, I did try printing everything in dark blue, but according to my friend that works at sibelius, you can change the notes and text...but not the staves?! so you get dots and text, but no lines!
  20. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Just listen to some of the pieces on, the percussion is quite random?! Whistles seem to appear a lot. nothing like the originals actually sound like when you hear them in sibelius (some of my friends have recommended scores on there and the percussion is quite different if you play them through sibelius rather than scorch!)