Yep, there are some numpties about

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by johnmartin, Nov 6, 2007.

1. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

This story is a sad reflection on modern Britain.
  2. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

I had read that actually the other day in the news, and couldn't believe it, surely, living in the UK with out winters, it would be fairly obvious that -5 is lower than -3? :confused:
  3. Di

Di Active Member

Funny you should say that, I got sent that link about an hour ago. Incredible huh? This bit tickled me.

4. hellyfrost

hellyfrost Member

I don't know whether to laugh at or cry for these people!:confused:
  5. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

Oh my goodness... I'm a primary school teacher. I've covered negative numbers with my maths group of 8-9 year olds. I related it to temperature and weather reports and they were all fine with it.

How embarrassing for the woman quoted in that report!
  6. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

If only she was embarrassed - but she won't believe anyone who tells her she got it wrong, so she doesn't think she has anything to be embarrassed about! Clearly her and the other person in the shop are right and the whole of the rest of the world is wrong... :-?
  7. hellyfrost

hellyfrost Member

Ha! Yeah, the shopkeeper thought it was right too! Note to self: Always check change!:p
  8. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

I usually find temperature is the main way in which people get negative numbers right. Good to know our teaching is having such good effects.
  9. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Depends on who's adjudicating....... :rolleyes:
  10. alunplugged

alunplugged New Member

there was questionnnaire going about the USA

"who is your favourite american of all time?"

70% of all answers were...................

11. David Mann

David Mann Member

Where and when did the term "numptie" originate?
  12. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

They could've just been talking about the modulus....or something....

I'll get me coat :oops:
  13. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Its an old Scots term for an idiot. Possibly derived from a Scots shortening of the word numbskull.
  14. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

15. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

16. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

Interesting that you see it as a reflection of "modern" Britain. I don't suppose it would have been better understood 50 years ago. Although it is quite astounding.
  17. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

50 years ago the Government hadn't spend the previous decade interfering in schools, ploughing billions of pounds into things that really weren't necessary while systematically undermining things that actually worked, socially engineering intakes at all levels, making teaching one of the most difficult jobs around...and then telling us all that they had improved the education system to the best ever.

That story could only happen in modern Britain because 50 years ago, it was accepted that not everyone was academically gifted and suited to education - in other words, it wouldn't have been 'news'.